Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Skill boost the key to our success

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:47 pm
Post subject: Skill boost the key to our successReply with quote

The addition of Wells, Hoskin-Elliott, Daicos, plus the return of Elliott, Scharenberg (who is really new), Ramsay and Keeffe, represent a qualitative leap in the skill level of our team. This is going to be a major reason why we will perform much better this season imo. In recent years we have had too many players with sub par disposal skills. Having a host of players who can hopefully regularly hit targets under pressure will improve our team immensely.
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:08 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep very true these blokes will bring us but like all good sides we have to play with a consistent 22 on a regular basis so we play to our strengths and we have to avoid the coast to coast goals after we kick points. I really hope our backs can gel.

www.facebook/the hybernators
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:31 pm

Yep, absolutely. We've gone away from players who are great triers who can't kick the football, to players of genuine class who kick and pass the ball with pinpoint accuracy.

Another point which may have been missed is that we are heading for a more mature leadership group now (Adams, Treloar, Moore, Howe etc.) which you need if you have any aspirations to play finals football.
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:01 pm

This is true. Blokes like Tooves and Marley for example won't be there this year so our disposal in general and delivery to our Forwards should improve our of site. This should really help a guy like Mason Cox who if the ball hits the deck can't give us much. If he can lead and it's delivered well it shouldn't be on the deck.
slangman 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:56 pm
Post subject: Re: Skill boost the key to our successReply with quote

RudeBoy wrote:
The addition of Wells, Hoskin-Elliott, Daicos, plus the return of Elliott, Scharenberg (who is really new), Ramsay and Keeffe, represent a qualitative leap in the skill level of our team. This is going to be a major reason why we will perform much better this season imo. In recent years we have had too many players with sub par disposal skills. Having a host of players who can hopefully regularly hit targets under pressure will improve our team immensely.

Spot on.
We are a better team than last year.
How much and how far they will go, only time will tell.

Brown, Marley, Tooves, Cloke, Frost and Marsh were all below par and have been replaced by much better disposes of the football.

I'm confident about this season. Barring a horrendous injury run, I'd be surprised if we didn't make the top 8

cityslick1 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:15 pm

I agree that its been our achilles heel in the recent past, and should be better this year.

But we're still far from being the most skillful side in the comp.

The intra-club match reminded me of our tendency to land balls at the shoelaces - or even two meters in front of - a leading player, which pisses me off to no end. Thankfully it was mostly the VFL / fringe boys who did this, but we still have a lot of players that are far from elite in delivery...

Varcoe's skills are overated... often misses targets, doesnt stick tackles.
Adams is an average kick, but is hopefully getting better.
Grundy's skills are also average, but he makes up for it in other areas.
Cox is a liability in open play, and is forced to handball at every opp.
Blair is an average kick, but reliable in front of the sticks.
Sinclair has improved a lot, but kicking has never been his strong suit.
White shanks quite a few kicks, but is also hopefully better now.

The rest of the best 22 have either good to great skills, whilst the loss of Brown, Frost, Marsh & Marley should def improve delivery out of our back half.
magpieazza 

magpieazza

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:46 pm

The senior players that have left our club were like the "who's who of not so good kickers at the club".

Hard to disagree with any posts so far on this topic.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:31 pm

Perhaps I'm alone but I thought the disposal of Adams was greatly improved last season.

If it wasn't for him missing half the season I feel he would have went awfully close to winning the Copeland.

Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:17 am

A bit of a stretch on Ramsay adding skill (I rate the boy but skill level is erratic) and Daicos is a year or two away from making an impact, if any but otherwise, I agree. Likely to see a lot less bull butchering this year without the usual offenders Williams, Marsh, Frost, Cloke et al.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:21 pm

FrankieGoesToCollingwood wrote:
A bit of a stretch on Ramsay adding skill (I rate the boy but skill level is erratic) and Daicos is a year or two away from making an impact, if any but otherwise, I agree. Likely to see a lot less bull butchering this year without the usual offenders Williams, Marsh, Frost, Cloke et al.

You're probably right about young Daics, but my mail is the club have been surprised by how well he's gone in the intra club games so far. Some players, perform better the higher the standard and the more competitive the game is. Originally they had him penciled in for a year in the VFL, but now they are not so sure. See how he goes tonight I guess.
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:26 pm

^ I'll be very keen to see him tonight but will temper my expectations. Don't usually get carried away with nab cup form but last year I was sucked in by a few individuals and the team as a whole. Won't be doing that again although I'm genuinely optimistic with the list.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: