Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post inauguration Trump:

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47 ... 220, 221, 222  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:55 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting back to Trump, here's an interesting article that seriously assesses the question of whether he's in a state of cognitive decline or whether his increasing language deficiencies indicate a state of high stress.

https://www.statnews.com/2017/05/23/donald-trump-speaking-style-interviews/

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:58 pm

I really couldn't say for sure.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:52 pm

swoop42 wrote:
Douches can be found on all sides of politics especially so at the extreme left or right and while I have no time for thuggery when trying to protest and make a point there still is a clear distinction between the parties.

One is marching to protest racism and division while the other is marching to champion it and adds nothing of value to the world.

Free speech is important and people are entitled to associate with like-minded individuals if they so wish but when you elect take it public, form groups, preach intolerance and instill fear within a section of the community don't be surprised if a majority are appalled, look to stare you down and hold you to account by words and actions.

If we fail to do this as a society then we'll repeat the mistakes of our past and allow an environment where hate groups are allowed to form and prosper like we saw with the KKK or Nazi party.

History is not made better by the street brawlers of either side, as Weimar showed. They only embolden extremes. It is made better by cautious, sensible people who uphold the law, argue for change where required, ignore the mad ideologues, and laugh at the self-regard of the far right and the far-left. As for the underlying "niceness of the cause" justifying behaviour, well, Christianity is supposedly founded on love ; I do not think much of the so-called Christians who heckle young women at the abortionist either. Look at what people do, and most importantly whether they have a sense that aspects of their views could be wrong, and aspects of others' views could be right, to find out who is worthy of respect. I prefer the ideology of the Leftists over the Nazis in Charlottesville, but that is rather like having a preference for congestive heart failure over Ebola. A plague on both their houses.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:14 pm

Wokko wrote:
So all the Never Trumpers and those he made look like tools during the primaries are stacking on. You don't seem to really understand US politics at all, just parrot whatever crap the leftard Guardian tells you.

Is the Guardian publishing as the Australian, the ABC and the Washington Post, now, too?
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:31 pm

David wrote:
Getting back to Trump, here's an interesting article that seriously assesses the question of whether he's in a state of cognitive decline or whether his increasing language deficiencies indicate a state of high stress.

https://www.statnews.com/2017/05/23/donald-trump-speaking-style-interviews/

It's the Trump equivalent of a death rattle. The following articles are all from the front page of today's Washington Post. He probably won't survive all of this:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-and-race-decades-of-fueling-divisions/2017/08/16/5fb3cd7c-8296-11e7-b359-15a3617c767b_story.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/2017/08/16/bbe888a6-82c5-11e7-ab27-1a21a8e006ab_story.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trumps-lack-of-discipline-leaves-new-chief-of-staff-frustrated-and-dismayed/2017/08/16/9aec8e16-82b8-11e7-82a4-920da1aeb507_story.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/presidents-lawyer-jumps-into-racial-controversy-by-forwarding-inflammatory-email/2017/08/16/13c87d30-82e7-11e7-902a-2a9f2d808496_story.html?utm_term=.3f8eeb221994

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/mayors-taking-swift-action-to-avoid-becoming-the-next-charlottesville/2017/08/16/cef677ba-829c-11e7-902a-2a9f2d808496_story.html
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:13 am

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/20370553/tony-dungy-tampa-sports-teams-help-pay-move-confederate-statue

I suppose there are people in Australia who don't know who Tony Dungy is or why this might be significant - this will do: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Dungy

Another nail in the orange coffin.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:34 am

7 more years.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:39 am

I really doubt impeachment will happen, but it'll be interesting to see what happens at the next election. Ordinarily you'd bet on the incumbent, but Trump is achieving none of his agenda and turning the presidency into a farce. Expect a Reagan-style Republican insurgency in the primaries, at the very least.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:03 am

Trump has achieved plenty of his agenda and is continuing to *shock* do what he said he was going to do. On healthcare the Republican reps have shit the bed after having 7 years to come up with a plan, the wall is funded, he had his pick of Supreme Court justice confirmed.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/what-trump-has-done/

If you believe Trump's base won't come out if the Republicans attempt to primary him you've got another think coming and unless the Democrats can find political talent and a coherent message under a rock somewhere then they've got no chance.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:39 am

I think the dislike of Trump is such that any Democratic candidate will stand at least a chance against him. The only way I could see them losing is by putting up someone deeply unpopular and ineffective (they do have something of a track record of doing this – see Kerry, John).

I do think Trump will have to struggle through a tough primary to begin with, though. Yes, his base will come out; but a lot of the Republican base have never accepted him and many more will be disillusioned with his performance. That could be enough if a strong single alternative emerges; if, on the other hand, you get another dozen opportunists vying to take him on like last time, forget it. Either way, his incumbency should be enough to swing it for him, but have no doubt that there will be a strong challenge.

thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:12 pm

Yep, the Democrats sure hate Trump.
I don't think they've been as angry since Lincoln took their slaves away.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:14 pm

What's your point? The vast majority of those old south Democrats would be voting for Trump today, of course.
thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:24 pm

Simply a reminder that the party of slavery, white supremacy, the KKK and segregation was traditionally the Democrats.
E.g. check out Al Gore Snrs. voting record on the Civil Rights Act.
As such, the Dems = Tolerant, GOP = Racist binary the media runs with has a few holes in it.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:39 pm

I personally find it highly amusing that Trump has got so much backlash for basically stating the truth rather than saying what is politically correct.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:50 pm

thesoretoothsayer wrote:
Simply a reminder that the party of slavery, white supremacy, the KKK and segregation was traditionally the Democrats.
E.g. check out Al Gore Snrs. voting record on the Civil Rights Act.
As such, the Dems = Tolerant, GOP = Racist binary the media runs with has a few holes in it.

A little has changed in the last 150 years, of course. There was even, eg, a time when the ALP wasn't a party of capital.

However, no-one much cares about the Democrats. The question in the US is only ever whether the unacceptable racist Christian right can be kept out of office. It scarcely matters whether they have a rightist Republican or a rightist Democrat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47 ... 220, 221, 222  Next
Page 46 of 222   

Jump to: