Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post inauguration Trump:

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 220, 221, 222  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:02 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible that a crime did take place by a border protection officer. But of course, if it did, it is not state-sponsored terrorism at all. Maybe you have been eating that cane toad you trollishly wished I would poison myself with in your post above.

I note that they are seeking financial compensation. Has the incident been proved ?

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:04 am

I'm not sure I understand the implication of that.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:15 am

Mugwump wrote:
It is possible that a crime did take place by a border protection officer. But of course, if it did, it is not state-sponsored terrorism at all. Maybe you have been eating that cane toad you trollishly wished I would poison myself with in your post above.

I note that they are seeking financial compensation. Has the incident been proved ?

You really should drop the cane toad thing. That was a joke directed to David. I count him as a friend and it didn't occur to me that he would take offence.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:20 pm

^ Yes, I'm not sure why you thought that was directed at you, Mugwump?

Personally, I might have to pass on the cane toad offer, but only because I tend to avoid eating animals that I like. Wink

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:15 pm

Some history, David. You can add it to the Nazi slur, and to "smug" because I think mathematics should be taught through higher school. The sotto voce ad hominem sniping like that goes on, and when it is challenged, there is no clarification or explanation, let alone apology, and the meaning is thereby affirmed. This is perfectly knowing stuff.

In the case of the cane toad thing, I promptly noted that the remark seemed poisonous. No comment ensued. If it were jokingly directed at you and not me, which I very much doubt in the context, a reasonable person - let alone a clever person like P4S - would have clarified it.

Anyway, play on. Was the border assault case actually proven ? It is quite possible that it happened, but it is also possible that the accusers have an ulterior motive. State sponsored terrorism is probably rhetorical humor.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:23 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/mar/24/republican-healthcare-plan-bill-vote-pulled-obamacare-trump

Time for the Keystone Cops music - today's lie is that, despite having a majority in both Houses, it's the Democrats' fault that he can't get Republican support to repeal Obamacare. You've got to admire his work.

Apparently he's going to "move on" to "fixing" the tax system, next.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:12 am

But first he's going to fix the environment:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/mar/26/trump-executive-order-clean-power-plan-coal-plants
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:19 am

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/apr/01/judge-rejects-trump-defense-claim-incited-violence-protesters

'Judge David J Hale in Louisville ruled on Friday that the suit against Trump, his campaign and three of his supporters can proceed.

Hale found that there were ample facts supporting the allegation that the protesters’ injuries were a “direct and proximate result” of Trump’s actions.

“It is plausible that Trump’s direction to ‘get ‘em out of here’ advocated the use of force,” Hale wrote.

Two of the Trump supporters are named in the suit. They are Alvin Bamberger, a member of the Korean War Veterans Association (KWVA) from Ohio, and Matthew Heimbach, a leader of the white supremacist group Traditional Youth Network from Paoli, Indiana.'
Pi Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:53 pm

doesn't mean its WW3, he probably got the nod from Vlad.

http://www.watoday.com.au/world/us-launches-missiles-on-syria-after-gas-attack-report-20170407-gvfrk3.html

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:17 pm

I just don't really understand why the Syrian President would use chemical weapons again when he knows it's the kind of thing to make the US and it's allies finally respond militarily against him.

I do hope the intelligence is correct and the response justified as it could get very serious very quickly depending on what Russia now does.

While I'm outraged at the use of chemical weapons it's interesting that in reality the use of conventional weapons by the Syrian, Russian or American forces can lead to the same death and misery for civilians yet it's largely overlooked.

It seems we are prepared to allow men, women and children to burn to death under a pile of rubble but can't cope when it's staring us right in the face as they froth from the mouth on the open streets.

Something about that troubles me as I sit in the safety and comfort of my Australian home.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:14 pm

^^^ This bombing (a "positive" story for the US) tends to push the bombing of civilians in Mosul from the headlines. Of course, query whether - when the crumbling dwellings settle - the new bombings are "targeted" with the requisite "clinical precision" or whether there's just a lot more "collateral" civilian casualties. My naive thought on the subject is that an innocent civilian is likely to be as dead from being blown to smithereens as from being gassed to death. There may be some slight preference from person to person as to whether sarin or shrapnel is the better way to go but, in the grand scheme of things, neither is a choice you'd rush to embrace as an alternative to a quiet family evening in, eating dips and bread.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:06 pm

swoop42 wrote:
I just don't really understand why the Syrian President would use chemical weapons again when he knows it's the kind of thing to make the US and it's allies finally respond militarily against him.

I do hope the intelligence is correct and the response justified as it could get very serious very quickly depending on what Russia now does.

A lot of speculation is going around that the Syrian regime may have not been behind the chemical weapons attack, but a lot of people are saying different things at the moment so it's very unclear at this stage as to who may have orchestrated the attack.

Although, launching a chemical weapons attack against his own civilians does nothing but hurt Assad who is on a knife's edge already and is only surviving mainly because of Russian and Iranian backing.

Assad has made recent gains with his forces winning back Aleppo and Palmyra, and ISIS/Al-Nusra is slowly losing the war so apart from being a psychopathic dictator, I can't see how this would logically help him win the civil war.

I think Trump's decision to launch missiles is nothing but counterproductive for his cause.

Firstly, most of his supporters opposed further nation building and military intervention and secondly, I don't think conducting these airstrikes had any practical benefit with it only escalating tensions and inadvertently propelling the likes of the "moderate" rebels and ISIS.

The chemical weapons attack was abhorrent, and some of the footage I've seen is horrific, and those behind it need to be held to account, but Syria is in the midst of destruction and ascertaining what happened exactly is difficult at the moment.

Very worrying developments from the last few days from all sides.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:10 pm

What makes you say that. Who says that?
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:30 pm

Jezza wrote:
swoop42 wrote:

A lot of speculation is going around that the Syrian regime may have not been behind the chemical weapons attack, but a lot of people are saying different things at the moment so it's very unclear at this stage as to who may have orchestrated the attack.

Although, launching a chemical weapons attack against his own civilians does nothing but hurt Assad who is on a knife's edge already and is only surviving mainly because of Russian and Iranian backing.

Assad has made recent gains with his forces winning back Aleppo and Palmyra, and ISIS/Al-Nusra is slowly losing the war so apart from being a psychopathic dictator, I can't see how this would logically help him win the civil war.

I think Trump's decision to launch missiles is nothing but counterproductive for his cause.

Firstly, most of his supporters opposed further nation building and military intervention and secondly, I don't think conducting these airstrikes had any practical benefit with it only escalating tensions and inadvertently propelling the likes of the "moderate" rebels and ISIS.

The chemical weapons attack was abhorrent, and some of the footage I've seen is horrific, and those behind it need to be held to account, but Syria is in the midst of destruction and ascertaining what happened exactly is difficult at the moment.

Very worrying developments from the last few days from all sides.

Agreed, Jezza. Syria is incredibly chaotic with very few reliable sources of information, and it is quite possible that the rebel groups - which are also mostly hellish - were stockpiling chemical weaponry, especially as they are losing the war, and that these escaped containment somehow. What Russia says never has any regard for the truth, but that does not mean that it is always false, and that's their version of events. The thing that disturbs me about this is that I cannot see any rationale for Assad's military to use chemical weapons at this point.

All that said, The US response looks likely to be a rather typical remote, unmanned action, limited in scope and more about posturing, bluff and messaging than real engagement : a kind of military version of a solicitor's letter. I expect it to blow over ina few days.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:38 pm

Mugwump wrote:

All that said, The US response looks likely to be a rather typical remote, unmanned action, limited in scope and more about posturing, bluff and messaging than real engagement : a kind of military version of a solicitor's letter. I expect it to blow over ina few days.

Without having looked into it, I tend to agree.

Bit of Oi, bang, don't do that again.

There's also all the political subtexts to consider

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 220, 221, 222  Next
Page 29 of 222   

Jump to: