Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post inauguration Trump:

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 103, 104, 105 ... 220, 221, 222  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:50 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

^ It is indeed a crazy system as many have noted, but its not really about Trump Obama and Clinton oversaw lengthy government shutdowns too. Basically the laws need to change so operation of government isnt contingent on short-term budgetary bills. Practically no other country in the world allows something like this to happen, for obvious reasons! America is a bit of a joke sometimes, lets face it.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:49 am

Supply can be blocked in Australia too see: 1975 constitutional crisis.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:00 pm

Yes, but I believe government services continue in such situations, dont they?
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:00 pm

^

Pretty much. Budgets and funding is normally allocated at the start of the financial year for the whole year, not drip fed.

The USA has some.........interesting ways of doing things.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:26 pm

I don't usually find much to congratulate Trump on and when I do, it's usually "even a stopped clock" kind of stuff but here's a case of Trump very much being Trump and doing an unequivocally good thing.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jan/14/trump-says-he-will-devastate-turkey-economically-if-it-attacks-kurds

Quote:
Donald Trump has warned Turkey of economic devastation if it attacks Kurdish forces in the wake of the US troop pullout from Syria, while also urging the Kurds not to provoke Ankara.

Will devastate Turkey economically if they hit Kurds, Trump tweeted, while pushing for the creation of a 20-mile safe zone.

Let's just hope that this provides sufficient deterrent. The Kurds are hugely vulnerable at this moment in time with the US's withdrawal from Syria, and Turkey has been sabre-rattling hard (they would like nothing better than to storm into Northern Syria and wipe out the Kurdish resistance). I don't normally support diplomacy by Twitter, but this Tweet, if more than just hot air, could potentially save hundreds or thousands of lives. I'm not kidding.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:46 pm

Yeah but nah but yeah but nah

What we know so far is that Trump has made:

1. Russia
2. China
3. North Korea
4. Iran ( and Hezbollah) great again

This bumbling rhetoric is meaningless in my view when he is pulling out of Syria. In other words after you continue kiling innocent Kurds, after the US gives up on assisiting Kurds to have their own part of the world then he'll allegedly wreak havoc with the economy of Turkey (which is managing to do a decent job itself of having a poor economy).

As time progresses, conservative Chris Uhlmann's words ring even louder especially that ending

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6_ckWZCHW4

Trump is continuing to cede power to the dictators of the world. The US is increasingly diminshed for Trump's nacassism.

Sad especially for the Kurds

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:57 pm

^ I don't completely disagree with all of that, but there's a genuine progressive case for asking whether the US should be playing their customary world police role in the first place. We know the carnage that they have caused everywhere from Vietnam to the coups in Latin America, and frankly it's hard to argue that the world was a better place because of their many interventions. So is it really clear that pulling out of Syria is wrong? Many reasonable people didn't think they should have been there in the first place.

If Trump is serious about moving away from that kind of meddling and instead taking a more conciliatory approach to the countries you list (and not simply trading old repressive alliances like Saudi Arabia and Turkey for new ones), then there would be good reason to think that that is making the world more peaceful and I say that as someone who is staunchly opposed to Putin, Assad and the theocratic Iranian regime, but also to the madman Erdogan, Mohammad bin Salman and the old fascist mobster Netanyahu. The US's comparative relationships with Iran and Saudi Arabia tells us all we need to know about the morality of realpolitik.

Unfortunately, for any good Trump does, he'll insist on doing something stupid like ripping up a perfectly good deal with Iran or declaring a full-fledged trade war with China, so the last thing you can expect from him on this front is anything resembling consistency or ongoing common sense. Nonetheless, world peace is much too fragile to look at such things through a solely partisan lens, so I just want to give credit on the (rare) occasions when credit's due.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:01 pm

^

On the other hand, while I agree about the Kurds and getting out of Syria, it's also possible that some/many of the other things he has done are either good or will have a good result but you just don't agree with them.

Wink

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:33 pm

Watching leftys tie themselves in knots supporting perpetual global warfare is hilarious. Kudos to you David for recognizing that Trump ending wars that have no actual end point is a good thing.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:16 pm

The Pressure is on, running a Country is different than running a business. If 10% of what out there is true then it's only a matter of time before we see the end of Trump.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:19 pm

out there something.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:33 pm

Trumps desire to leave Syria is much more about his nationalist rhetoric of America first than anything else.

I just hope the US doesn't turn there backs on the Kurdish people like they've done before.

Personally I worry that Trump is merely setting up an alibi for Turkish aggression with this tweet.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:08 pm

Culprit wrote:
The Pressure is on, running a Country is different than running a business. If 10% of what out there is true then it's only a matter of time before we see the end of Trump.

Forget Russiagate; I have a feeling the Michael Cohen testimony on its own might be enough to do Trump in. We're talking about a guy who's been the personal lawyer and right-hand man of essentially a Mafia boss for decades, and he's now fully co-operating and (perhaps conveniently) painting Trump as an evil Svengali who led him astray. If Cohen is even remotely open and honest about the shit he's had to do for him, I have no doubt whatsoever that some serious dodgy stuff is going to come out. The only question then is whether Trump can use the privileges of his position to ride it out.

Last edited by David on Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:41 pm

David, the trouble is the part of America who idolise Trump will simply believe it's all just a huge conspiracy and the Country will become even more divided, if that's possible.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:42 pm

^ For sure, but ultimately the law is the law and even the president isn't above it ... sometimes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 103, 104, 105 ... 220, 221, 222  Next
Page 104 of 222   

Jump to: