Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post inauguration Trump:

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 99, 100, 101 ... 220, 221, 222  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:14 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/aug/31/paul-manafort-sam-patten-charged-cambridge-analytica
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:53 am

Portrait of Donald Trump
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:20 am

Some eyebrow-raising revelations here. Not dissimilar to Wolff’s book, except that Woodward is actually a credible journalist:

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/09/04/politics/bob-woodward-book-donald-trump-fear/index.html

Let’s face it, nothing here is particularly implausible.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:28 pm

I’d just like to express our collective thanks to Trump for helping this thread achieve Clokeian proportions. 100 pages is a great achievement. It’s the VPT equivalent of 100,000 followers on Instagram.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:06 am

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/05/us-trade-deficit-jumps-by-the-most-in-3-years.html

"Trade wars are easy to win"
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:42 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
I’d just like to express our collective thanks to Trump for helping this thread achieve Clokeian proportions. 100 pages is a great achievement. It’s the VPT equivalent of 100,000 followers on Instagram.

Still needs another 692 pages to surpass the "what made you happy today" thread Wink

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:50 pm

What are people’s thoughts on that NYT article by an anonymous Trump official?

I’m not sure that I agree with a lot of it, but this is an interesting response:

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/09/trump-mattis-kelly-new-york-times/569416/

Quote:
The op-ed is so bizarre that it is tempting to dismiss it as fantasy—akin to the obviously bogus Twitter accounts that flourished early in the administration claiming to be by saboteurs inside the White House. (While the Times has likely done its homework, expect the president to question the veracity of the source.) Yet what the anonymous official says lines up closely with the accounts in Woodward’s book, in which officials steal documents, act on their own, and simply disregard orders from the president.

If you believe that Trump does not have the judgment and temperament for office—not a difficult conclusion to draw—this is a win of a sort. Yet the actions described in the book and in the op-ed are extremely worrying, and amount to a soft coup against the president. Given that one of Trump’s great flaws is that he has little regard for rule of law, it’s hard to cheer on Cabinet members and others openly thwarting Trump’s directives, giving unelected officials effective veto power over the elected president. Like Vietnam War–era generals, they are destroying the village in order to save it. As is so often the case in the Trump administration, both alternatives are awful to consider.

On one level, the actions of these advisers are clearly undemocratic, and I can’t imagine any liberals or leftists would be tolerating it if it was their guy in charge. But if these treacherous advisers are all that stands in the way of Trump making a catastrophic decision (such as taking out Assad, as he seemingly intended), then pointing sternly to the rulebook doesn’t seem to be the most urgent response here.

Even so, the op-ed was astonishingly counterproductive. If the goal is to secretly undermine Trump, then the first step is to not tell everyone you’re doing it. That way most likely leads to a White House purge and a more autocratic presidency. But I guess it’s too much to expect common sense from any of these people.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:48 pm

From day one, there has been a concerted effort to undermine and delegitimise the Trump presidency from the Democrats and "Never Trump" Republicans aided and abetted by the mainstream media so this doesn't surprise me one bit

In a way this could be seen as a victory for Trump. It will reinforce his outsider status and the fact that the "deep state" is trying to destroy his presidency. His core base won't abandon him over this, but it could actually strengthen him in many ways if he can manipulate it in his favour.

You're right though that liberals and leftists wouldn't tolerate this if their man was in charge instead, and something similar was happening.

On the issue of Syria, Trump has been inconsistent with his statements on Syria but he would lose votes from his base if turned into a NeoCon (akin to Bush or McCain) and set about removing Assad from power, so I doubt he really contemplated regime change. After all, Trump instructed the CIA to stop arming the anti-Assad rebels last year.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:52 pm

First Dog On The Moon has nailed it - it was a raccoon named Brian, with a little help from a couple of his friends - https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/sep/10/i-am-the-resistance-inside-the-ceiling-of-the-white-house
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:07 pm

Jezza wrote:
On the issue of Syria, Trump has been inconsistent with his statements on Syria but he would lose votes from his base if turned into a NeoCon (akin to Bush or McCain) and set about removing Assad from power, so I doubt he really contemplated regime change. After all, Trump instructed the CIA to stop arming the anti-Assad rebels last year.

If they're hoping for Trump to be ideologically consistent, I think they'll either be disappointed, or else (more likely) have to engage in a great deal of self-convincing spin over the next couple of years when he fails to do what they want. One must consider these White House leaks sceptically, of course, but that doesn't mean we should or can dismiss them as fantasy; personally, I don't find the suggestions about his intent on Syria after the chemical weapons strike all that implausible, given what we know about Trump.

Many politicians backflip on issues; but where someone like, say, Clinton seemed to do it tactically (for instance, in response to popular opinion), Trump seems to be genuinely fickle – whether it's a question of who's in his ear at a given point in time, or slightly altered circumstances, he seems quite capable of abruptly changing his mind in a moment, particularly when it comes to foreign affairs (on other issues, such as trade, he seems more consistent). This, incidentally, is also why accusations about him being a Russian agent don't hold water: his attitude to Putin's geopolitical agenda seems unpredictable at best, and I'm not sure that anyone – not Russia, and perhaps not even the White House – really knows what tack he's going to take from one moment to the next. He's the "mad dog" that Nixon tried to play, except that (like or unlike Nixon) he might actually be mad.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:12 am

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/10/trump-administration-to-take-tough-stance-against-the-hagues-icc.html Definitely following in the footsteps of the Great A Hitler. All is we need now is Trump to get someone to write in his name a book called "My Fight".
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:40 am

Great. Now, for those following at home, we have a clear perspective on what the order of power is in the world:

1. The US
2. International law, regulations and institutional bodies
3. Every other country

(I'm being sarcastic, by the way. It really isn't great.)

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:38 pm

^

A fair few countries have either withdrawn from being parties to the Hague, or never signed on in the first place.

It only has authority over people in your country if you agree to let it, so it effectively has no authority over the USA, Israel, Russia China or India to name just a few, which is a fair chunk of the worlds population and power.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:03 pm

Aside from a few arguably peremptory norms, everything is optional (as, if you think about it for a moment, almost everything must be in international law).

Iraq, Israel, Libya, China, Qatar, Yemen, and the United States all voted against the Rome Convention when it was originally established. That's fine company the US has been keeping.

The present status of the treaty is here: https://treaties.un.org/Pages/ViewDetails.aspx?src=TREATY&mtdsg_no=XVIII-10&chapter=18&lang=en#12

In short, there are, I believe, presently 123 State parties and 138 signatories (including the US, which is a signatory but not a party).
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:03 pm

Trump donated his $400k salary to rebuild military cemeteries today.

We won't see that on the news....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 99, 100, 101 ... 220, 221, 222  Next
Page 100 of 222   

Jump to: