Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post inauguration Trump:

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 69, 70, 71 ... 220, 221, 222  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:56 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Marvin Minsky. Smile
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:48 pm

David wrote:
The FBI is corrupt. Who would have thought!?

(I scratch my head at this opposite-world we’ve entered, in which the right are now going after the deep state and liberal-left types are treating the CIA and other authoritarian spook organisations like their best mates. Freedom fries for everyone!)

And for those who think corruption in the FBI might be funny, here's something even funnier - the editorial board of the Washington Post commenting on the actual story, stripped of its partisan point-scoring: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/global-opinions/congress-has-a-bill-to-do-something-about-russia-its-up-to-them-now/2018/01/18/d2190788-fc5d-11e7-a46b-a3614530bd87_story.html?utm_term=.ba3ef64ad6a5
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:50 pm

Here's something else equally "funny": https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/wp/2018/01/18/i-just-dont-like-muslim-people-trump-appointee-resigns-after-racist-sexist-and-anti-gay-remarks/?utm_term=.7d132de9a322
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:25 am

Interesting points of view! Pretty much what I’ve been saying, the people were sick of the old politics

From Facebook, a post on the Political Cowboys page

How did Donald Trump happen?

It happened because you banned super-size sodas. And smoking in parks. And 'offensive' ideas on campus. Because you branded people who oppose gay marriage 'homophobic', and people unsure about immigration 'racist'. Because you treated owning a gun and never having eaten quinoa as signifiers of fascism. Because you thought correcting people's attitudes was more important than finding them jobs. Because you turned 'white man' from a description into an insult. Because you used slurs like 'denier' and 'dangerous' against anyone who doesn't share your eco-pieties. Because you treated dissent as hate speech and criticism of Obama as extremism. Because you talked more about gender-neutral toilets than about home repossessions. Because you beatified Caitlyn Jenner. Because you policed people's language, rubbished their parenting skills, took the piss out of their beliefs. Because you cried when someone mocked the Koran but laughed when they mocked the Bible. Because you said criticising Islam is Islamophobia. Because you kept telling people, "You can't think that, you can't say that, you can't do that". Because you turned politics from something done by and for the people to something done to them, for their own good. Because you treated people like shit. And people don't like being treated like shit. Trump happened because of you. - Brendan O'Neill

thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:58 am

Spot on.
Johnathan Pie said the same thing after the election.
Recommended viewing for our leftist friends (language warning):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLG9g7BcjKs
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:54 am

think positive wrote:
Interesting points of view! Pretty much what I’ve been saying, the people were sick of the old politics

From Facebook, a post on the Political Cowboys page

How did Donald Trump happen?

It happened because you banned super-size sodas. And smoking in parks. And 'offensive' ideas on campus. Because you branded people who oppose gay marriage 'homophobic', and people unsure about immigration 'racist'. Because you treated owning a gun and never having eaten quinoa as signifiers of fascism. Because you thought correcting people's attitudes was more important than finding them jobs. Because you turned 'white man' from a description into an insult. Because you used slurs like 'denier' and 'dangerous' against anyone who doesn't share your eco-pieties. Because you treated dissent as hate speech and criticism of Obama as extremism. Because you talked more about gender-neutral toilets than about home repossessions. Because you beatified Caitlyn Jenner. Because you policed people's language, rubbished their parenting skills, took the piss out of their beliefs. Because you cried when someone mocked the Koran but laughed when they mocked the Bible. Because you said criticising Islam is Islamophobia. Because you kept telling people, "You can't think that, you can't say that, you can't do that". Because you turned politics from something done by and for the people to something done to them, for their own good. Because you treated people like shit. And people don't like being treated like shit. Trump happened because of you. - Brendan O'Neill

^ while that accords broadly with my own beliefs, and there is a great deal of truth in it, there is more to it. It happened, too, because we have ceased to believe that civility is the foundation of healthy democracy, and that there are standards of conduct and decency which can only come from the top of society. This applies not just to bawling liberals, but also to the Republicans who did not accept Clinton or Obama’s election, who invaded another country which did not attack America, who put money and profit above country. Trump, that giant baby, belongs to all of these.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:57 am

yes, but will he be the wake up call, the kick up the backside that the stuffed shirts need? thats what really matters. hey, if he (mates with) up as badly as everyone thinks he will, the next president with look like the Messiah without even trying, but who knows? i genuinely just hope some good comes out of it. ill let you know what the people think, im heading back to redneck country, Charlotte for the Coca Cola 600,(plus Vegas for a Motor bike auction, and Bryce Canyon & Zion National park to take lots of pictures!!) in May June and i always engage the locals!!
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:55 pm

thesoretoothsayer wrote:
Spot on.

That was a very good rant and, dare I say it, spot on.

sixpoints 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:36 pm

thesoretoothsayer wrote:
Spot on.

Tom Walker is a very clued in comedian. The character he plays, Jonathan Pie the embittered cantankerous journalist is brilliant. His parody of all those Internet bloggers / Fox News pundits is hilarious.
Jonathan Pie is an old school lefty journalist who hates Teresa May, Boris Johnson, Brexit, multi national corporations, Hilary Clinton and Donald Trump.
He is a bitter old school lefty who also despises the progressives and PC brigade who he sees has highjacked the left. He just about hates everyone. Except Bernie Sanders and Jeremy Corbyn that is.
Very funny.

This is what Jonathan really thinks about young Conservatives.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ePVsD30WZm0
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:02 pm

just watched it, good to see it has subtitles, and i agree with him 100%!!! so well done,
tagged for later to watch some more of his stuff, cheers

sixpoints 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:08 pm

Can’t resist this little titbit.
Lovers of Trump & that right wing nonsense called Breitbart beware as Jonathan Pie really unloads !
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0RMwjaZouNY

Last edited by sixpoints on Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:36 pm

think positive wrote:
yes, but will he be the wake up call, the kick up the backside that the stuffed shirts need? thats what really matters. hey, if he (mates with) up as badly as everyone thinks he will, the next president with look like the Messiah without even trying, but who knows? i genuinely just hope some good comes out of it. ill let you know what the people think, im heading back to redneck country, Charlotte for the Coca Cola 600,(plus Vegas for a Motor bike auction, and Bryce Canyon & Zion National park to take lots of pictures!!) in May June and i always engage the locals!!

Of course he won’t be a “wake up call”. His particular political skill has been to persuade the outsiders of US life that he is part of the solution when he is, elf-evidently, part of the problem. “We’re sick of being governed by the wealthy and privileged who don’t understand how hard our lives are, so let’s vote for Trump because he’s exactly like us in every way”.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:11 pm

For a riff on cultural decline, you could compare the great, witty John Clarke to the jokeless student “comedian” Jonathan Pie, his threadbare routine held aloft by putting (mates with) where the laughs should be. A poor man’s Ben Elton ca 1985.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:00 pm

'Pie' belongs to the genre of American late-night TV 'comedians' like Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert, who – despite sometimes being erroneously referred to as 'satirists' – are really just cultural commentators / spoken-word op-ed writers who manage to keep their audience engaged by peppering their committee-written monologues with jokes every now and then.

The benefit of the 'comedian' label is that it keeps them from requiring any accountability; on the one hand, they are genuinely influential and fans treat them as reliable news sources; but if they misrepresent or obfuscate the facts, they can always fall back on the fact that they're mere comedy show presenters. 'Jonathan Pie' is a weird case because everybody knows that he's not a real person, but not one viewer actually treats him as a character, because he isn't one; it's just a framing device that the actor uses to present his (one presumes) genuinely-held views.

Having said all that, there is something of an art to the political rant, and he's certainly good at what he does – and, from time to time, like in the Trump video posted above, he can be very insightful. But I expect he's mostly just preaching to the choir, because comic rants are only for people who already agree with the message; those who don't (including many from the left, given the views expressed in that post-election video) will likely switch off. I find him entertaining, but I don't think he – or Oliver, or any of the other late-night TV show hosts – are actually contributing all that much to the public conversation. It's a guilty pleasure, that's all.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:05 pm

Good observation, David. But Colbert and Stewart are both far brighter and more engaging than JP and their committee-written jokes are at least funny or properly satirical. Pie is just another example of polarizing disagreement-by-abuse.... the thing he purports to despise in his “morning after Trump” rant.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 69, 70, 71 ... 220, 221, 222  Next
Page 70 of 222   

Jump to: