Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post inauguration Trump:

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 68, 69, 70 ... 220, 221, 222  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:17 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

^ if you ask the wrong question, you get the wrong answer. The WSJ article said that “most economists believe the Trump tax cut will benefit growth into the next few years.” This is completely orthodox economics. Fiscal expansions benefit growth, until the government debt mounts to the point where interest rates rise and growth is choked off several years hence. I also note that the Trump tax cut has only just been enacted. It’s like claiming credit for the moon landing shortly after taking off from Cape Canaveral.

Trump is showing the usual economic irresponsibility of modern Republicans, granting tax cuts while expanding groaning government debt. Reagan did it, Bush Junior did it, Trump is doing it. George HW Bush - perhaps the last real conservative to have the job - didn’t do it, and he got punished by his party and the electorate for raising taxes. If only the Republicans would rediscover some actual Conservatism, rather than radical libertarianism...

The Daily Wire report, of course, glosses over the underlying question and reports the PR. Fake news. Right.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:31 pm

Tax cuts need reduction in bureaucracy and spending, Trump has done a lot of red tape cutting but I agree there needs to be spending cuts, deep ones.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:43 pm

Wokko wrote:
Tax cuts need reduction in bureaucracy and spending, Trump has done a lot of red tape cutting but I agree there needs to be spending cuts, deep ones.

I agree. People right across the Western world need to start paying for the services they consume, rather than shuffling debt onto their children. What a useless generation this is. When the next crisis comes, among massive government debt and near zero interest rates, we have so few tools, it is frightening. I suppose they’ll print unsterilised money, God help us.

Cutting red tape is often worth doing, though it is hard work, and takes years if it is to be done intelligently. A lot of red tape exists for a reason. A lot is waste, or mere arse-covering. Telling the difference, and then getting change can be very hard, but it’s where the real economy and real growth happens.

I have less insight into what Trump is doing in that regard, but I’d wager it’s too early for him (or rather, his administration) to have made much progress in that branch of jungle warfare.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:27 am

Cutting Red Tape sounds great in theory but it leads to other problems. No inspectors, cross checking and verifying opens up a can of worms. No one overseeing the basics such as cladding has led to people dying, all in the name of profits. We had open slather and that is why we brought in rules and regulations.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:38 am

^ it can do. But some red tape is just red tape, and one may be better off bearing the risk. Some red tape even increases risk. The only guide is reason rather than ideology or setimentalism. Unfortunately we usually prefer the latter.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:30 pm

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-pledges-to-whittle-federal-regulations-down-to-1960-levels/2017/12/14/17de13a4-e119-11e7-bbd0-9dfb2e37492a_story.html?utm_term=.be8f3936776d

Trump wants to get back to 1960s levels, so less scalpel than flamethrower.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:14 pm

Hmm, let's see: Wokko, Skids and ... Germaine Greer!? Shocked Laughing

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/tv/radio/germaine-greer-talks-mclachlan-trump-and-the-feminist-revolution/news-story/5136531ac09c9d1d7db818ccdd696988

Germaine Greer wrote:
[Trump] interests me because they can’t control him. And while nobody’s looking, the dollar is increasing in value, and there are a quarter of a million new jobs a month, he’s saying he’ll make America great again, and where blue collar workers are concerned, it’s working.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:51 pm

Having Germaine on side in a debate about economics is a bit like tag-teaming Billy Brownless in a debate about general relativity.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:56 pm

Laughing harsh but fair. Laughing
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:21 pm

https://gop.com/the-highly-anticipated-2017-fake-news-awards/
Pa Marmo 

Side by Side

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:36 pm

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2018/01/18/worse-than-watergate-shocking-house-intel-memo-allegedly-reveals-fisa-abuse-by-senior-doj-and-fbi-officials/
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:44 pm

Any chance you could précis it so that the rest of us don’t have to get brain cancer from going onto that site?
Pa Marmo 

Side by Side

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:54 pm

‘Worse Than Watergate’: ‘Shocking’ House Intel Memo Allegedly Reveals FISA Abuse by Senior DOJ and FBI Officials

Members of the House on Thursday said they viewed a “shocking” classified memo allegedly detailing abuse of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) by senior Justice Department and Federal Bureau of Investigations officials in relation to the investigation of the Trump campaign and called for it to be declassified and available to the public immediately.

“It’s troubling. It is shocking,” Rep. Mark Meadows (R-NC) told Fox News. “Part of me wishes that I didn’t read it because I don’t want to believe that those kinds of things could be happening in this country that I call home and love so much.”

“The facts contained in this memo are jaw-dropping and demand full transparency. There is no higher priority than the release of this information to preserve our democracy,” said Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL), a member of the Judiciary Committee, which oversees the DOJ and the FBI.

Another Judiciary Committee member, Rep. Steve King (R-IA), called what he saw in the memo “sickening” and said it was “worse than Watergate.”

Rep. Ron DeSantis (R-FL), another Judiciary Committee member, called the memo “deeply troubling” and said it raises questions about the “Obama DOJ and Comey FBI.”

“The classified report compiled by House Intelligence is deeply troubling and raises serious questions about the upper echelon of the Obama DOJ and Comey FBI as it relates to the so-called collusion investigation,” he tweeted.

“You think about, ‘is this happening in America or is this the KGB?’ That’s how alarming it is,” Rep. Scott Perry (R-VA) told Fox News.

“It is so alarming the American people have to see this,” Rep. Jim Jordan (R-OH), a senior member of the Judiciary Committee, also said to network.

The viewing of the memo came after all Republican members of the House intelligence committee, whose investigators compiled the classified memo, voted Thursday to make it available to all House members. Every Democrat on the committee voted against it.

According to Gaetz, the memo’s contents could lead to the firing — and perhaps even jailing — of senior DOJ and FBI officials.

“I think that this will not end just with firings. I believe there are people who will go to jail,” he said on Fox News’ Hannity.

He said what he saw in the memo also explains why Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Chuck Grassley (R-IA) and Judiciary Subcommittee Chairman Lindsey Graham (R-SC) recently referred the Fusion GPS dossier author Christopher Steele for a criminal investigation.

“I think there will be criminal implications here,” Gaetz added.

The memo also reportedly contains information about the dossier put together by Fusion GPS that alleged Trump and members of his team colluded with Russians in the 2016 election, according to a report by investigative journalist Sara Carter.

It was revealed in October that the dossier was funded by the Hillary Clinton campaign and the Democratic National Committee. Despite being a political document, the dossier was reportedly part of the evidence FBI officials used to apply for and obtain a warrant through a secret FISA court to spy on Trump campaign adviser Carter Page.

Page told Breitbart News in a statement: “After over a year of inciting discord and threats of violence across America, it’s encouraging that the individuals in Washington responsible for these efforts to undermine our great democracy may be held accountable soon.”

Breitbart News reported on March 3, 2016, that the Obama administration took steps to undermine Trump’s presidential campaign using “police state” tactics, including spying on the Trump campaign. That report is widely believed to have led to President Trump’s tweet that later accused the Obama administration of wiretapping Trump Tower.

Members of the public and Congress are now calling for the document to be declassified and released to the public.

DeSantis said the House intelligence committee, pursuant to House rules, should vote to make the report publicly available as soon as possible.

“While the report is classified as Top Secret, I believe the select committee should, pursuant to House rules, vote to make the report publicly available as soon as possible. This is a matter of national significance and the American people deserve the truth,” he said.

“Rule X of the House Rules allows the select committee to publicly disclose any information in its possession after a determination by the select committee that the public interest would be served by such disclosure.”

According to House Rules, if the House intelligence committee votes to make the report public, President Trump would have five days to issue an objection. If he objected, it would take a vote on the House floor.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:41 pm

http://fortune.com/2018/01/18/president-trump-set-to-sign-fisa-surveillance-law-what-that-means-for-you/

Quote:
The Senate on Thursday voted narrowly to renew a law that permits intelligence agencies like the NSA and the FBI to tap into data from companies like AT&T and Google without a warrant.

President Trump is expected to sign the measure by the end of the week

The law is controversial because the surveillance program, although aimed at foreigners, has resulted in the U.S. government monitoring the communications of Americans—including email and chat histories—without the sign-off of a judge. Proponents say privacy concerns are overblown and the program is an essential anti-terrorist tool.

I guess FISA is only a problem when it targets rich white men. Laughing

If you're brown on the hand.

If only they were monitoring during his flirtatious period with Putin then it may have saved a whole lot of time investigating his obvious collusion.

Err I mean alleged collusion. Laughing

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:55 pm

The FBI is corrupt. Who would have thought!?

(I scratch my head at this opposite-world we’ve entered, in which the right are now going after the deep state and liberal-left types are treating the CIA and other authoritarian spook organisations like their best mates. Freedom fries for everyone!)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 68, 69, 70 ... 220, 221, 222  Next
Page 69 of 222   

Jump to: