Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post inauguration Trump:

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 220, 221, 222  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pi Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:19 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

when we hear members of the main stream media say stuff like this:

"its our job to control what people think"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvVpU7FAyQ4

this sort of stuff only validates what Trump says.

Presenting a salable narrative is one thing but controlling is a step too far ;

the media need to get back to reporting and not trying to 'control'

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:39 pm

Pi wrote:
when we hear members of the main stream media say stuff like this:

"its our job to control what people think"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvVpU7FAyQ4

this sort of stuff only validates what Trump says.

Presenting a salable narrative is one thing but controlling is a step too far ;

the media need to get back to reporting and not trying to 'control'

A (stupid) comment from a (stupid) person once does not mean that the role of most of the media is to "control" what people think.

However, to only speak with Fox news is an action designed to avoid accountability and hence ensure significant degrees of control .

This too in m view is a bit of a distraction because there are current & pending investigations into Trumps family / business Russian connections that point to Trump compromising the position of POTUS.

The tactic if not strategy of sledging the media continually is to designed to weaken the power of the said investigations / inquiries into his & related others behaviour

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:59 pm

think positive wrote:
Ok, I'd like to see that campaign!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4269856/Oprah-says-age-Trump-run-president.html?mrn_rm=rta

Please, god, no.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:58 pm

https://youtu.be/mFQBTUmA-Ac

I know it's the despised Fox News, but, it illustrates perfectly how the mainstream media distort the rubbish they dish up.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:34 pm

David wrote:
think positive wrote:
Ok, I'd like to see that campaign!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4269856/Oprah-says-age-Trump-run-president.html?mrn_rm=rta

Please, god, no.

well look at that, shes got you praying already!!!!! Razz Razz Wink

David Libra

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:28 pm

Skids wrote:
https://youtu.be/mFQBTUmA-Ac

I know it's the despised Fox News, but, it illustrates perfectly how the mainstream media distort the rubbish they dish up.

Is Fox News not mainstream media now?

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:21 pm

is this the bumbling incompetence' of being new, a belief that one does not have to be accountable in a western democracy or the sheer arrogance of power?

Looks like Trump has a few more sticky issues to deal with.

"...Washington: Scandals are cruel. Dogged by a trio of Russia-related rackets, Donald Trump learnt late on Wednesday local time that, inevitably, they control a president.

Last week the administration was in damage-control mode after disclosures that Trump's Chief of Staff Reince Priebus had been pressuring the FBI's two most senior leaders to "knock down" a report by The New York Times, which disclosed that communications intercepts had revealed an inordinate level of communication between the Trump campaign and people in Russia last year....

But that glow lasted only till 9.30 Wednesday evening, when coverage of Trump's "presidential" performance at the Capitol was knocked down by a Washington Post's blockbuster report: Trump's new Attorney General, former Alabama senator Jeff Sessions, had been sprung failing to disclose that he had met Russian ambassador Sergey Kislyak twice last year.

http://www.theage.com.au/world/jeff-sessions-meetings-with-russian-ambassador-a-blow-for-donald-trumps-new-glow-20170302-gup5gx.html

Shame really, so soon after the inauguration....

I know, perhaps if he starts attacking to media for reporting this & turn the tables & call them fake news, lock the media out of press briefings then he wouldn't have to address the issues or be accountable. That might work.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:53 pm

Because you really, really want the first law officer in your country to be caught failing to disclose things. That wouldn't be a recipe for ungovernable disaster.
David Libra

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:10 pm

If Sessions goes, that's really good news. Should never have had the position in the first place.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:18 pm

David wrote:
If Sessions goes, that's really good news. Should never have had the position in the first place.

He won't go but he has lied to the house. Trump must be furious that the first time he gets a bit of clean air is now past history (as opposed of course to future history) Wink

I agree with you though that he should never have been placed as the first law officer. He makes Trump look honest - nah that's a stretch too far.

Can't wait for the tax disclosures.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:23 pm

Mugwump wrote:
David wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Bookmark this.

I predict that after 8 years of Trump, he will end up going down as the best POTUS in the past 40 years.

I'd like to say we'll all still be alive in 8 years so I can say you were wrong, but I'm.not so sure of that...

More seriously, I doubt you'll ever be able to objectively demonstrate such a thing. Republicans talk about Reagan today as if he was the second coming of Christ, while progressives look at him as the president who entrenched the wage gap and ushered in the era of corporate dominance. Was he a great president or not? Was Obama? Democrats loved him, Republicans hated him.

And so it goes: many Trump supporters will remain in adoration of their man no matter how he screws the economy or damages international relations, and no matter how far he sets back environmental policy or civil liberties. The rest will, I think, look back on his tenure in office as a dark period in American history. I'm not saying that he can't have relative objective success or failure from hereon in, just that you'll never get any kind of popular consensus on him.

I think you'd have to go back to Franklin D. Roosevelt as the most recent president to be admired right across the political divide. Kennedy, Reagan and Clinton are perhaps the only ones since who have come close. Perhaps Obama will join their ranks with enough time and hindsight, but Trump? Pretty unlikely, you'd have to say.

You forgot Eisenhower, who comes closest to FDR in terms of approbation across the political divide. People tend to forget, too, that FDR's reputation in the 1930s was far from golden. Politics then fractured in the 1960s and in-their-lifetime consensus is not likely to come again. Only historians are likely to establish anything like a consensus, and even there it will be partial, at best. They have been kind to Reagan as the beacon of Cold War resolution and the reinvigorator of American power, less kind to Clinton as the incontinent horseman of a false boom, and (just) positive toward Kennedy on balance. Time will tell on Obama, but I am confident that he'll be remembered positively for saving the economy after 2008, for health care and for overall integrity and competence in government. Being bookended by two baboons will probably help his reputation, too.

Trump juxtaposed himself with Eisenhower with respect to infrastructure. However he has missed the glaring part of Eisenhower warning against the power of the Military Industrial Complex. Then again that's alternative facts for you.

Edited for slip of the typewriter & for accuracy Wink

Last edited by watt price tully on Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:18 pm

watt price tully wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
David wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Bookmark this.

I predict that after 8 years of Trump, he will end up going down as the best POTUS in the past 40 years.

I'd like to say we'll all still be alive in 8 years so I can say you were wrong, but I'm.not so sure of that...

More seriously, I doubt you'll ever be able to objectively demonstrate such a thing. Republicans talk about Reagan today as if he was the second coming of Christ, while progressives look at him as the president who entrenched the wage gap and ushered in the era of corporate dominance. Was he a great president or not? Was Obama? Democrats loved him, Republicans hated him.

And so it goes: many Trump supporters will remain in adoration of their man no matter how he screws the economy or damages international relations, and no matter how far he sets back environmental policy or civil liberties. The rest will, I think, look back on his tenure in office as a dark period in American history. I'm not saying that he can't have relative objective success or failure from hereon in, just that you'll never get any kind of popular consensus on him.

I think you'd have to go back to Franklin D. Roosevelt as the most recent president to be admired right across the political divide. Kennedy, Reagan and Clinton are perhaps the only ones since who have come close. Perhaps Obama will join their ranks with enough time and hindsight, but Trump? Pretty unlikely, you'd have to say.

You forgot Eisenhower, who comes closest to FDR in terms of approbation across the political divide. People tend to forget, too, that FDR's reputation in the 1930s was far from golden. Politics then fractured in the 1960s and in-their-lifetime consensus is not likely to come again. Only historians are likely to establish anything like a consensus, and even there it will be partial, at best. They have been kind to Reagan as the beacon of Cold War resolution and the reinvigorator of American power, less kind to Clinton as the incontinent horseman of a false boom, and (just) positive toward Kennedy on balance. Time will tell on Obama, but I am confident that he'll be remembered positively for saving the economy after 2008, for health care and for overall integrity and competence in government. Being bookended by two baboons will probably help his reputation, too.

Trump juxtaposed himself with FDR with respect to infrastructure. However he has missed the glaring part of FDR warning against the power of the Military Industrial Complex. Then again that's alternative facts for you.

Poor Eisenhower's having a bad day. First, David put him behind Reagan, Kennedy and (God help us) Clinton. Now you're attributing one of his greatest insights (the MIC) to FDR. Wink

He was, in my view, one the greatest presidents of the US in the 20th Century. he was not without blot (the overthrow of Mossadeq was a sad misjudgement and a moral mistake) but it is probably impossible to get it all right when exercising great power. He was that rare thing, an essentially kindly man who knew that this world requires tough and difficult choices.

David Libra

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:40 pm

^ The reason I didn't include Eisenhower was that I feel he isn't looked upon with a great deal of admiration Republicans see him as having been too much of a moderate, and Democrats probably tend to associate him with the '50s and all that entails (McCarthyism, the red panic and so on). But I agree with you that he probably stacks up a lot better than many of the presidents who have followed him.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:33 pm

David wrote:
^ The reason I didn't include Eisenhower was that I feel he isn't looked upon with a great deal of admiration Republicans see him as having been too much of a moderate, and Democrats probably tend to associate him with the '50s and all that entails (McCarthyism, the red panic and so on). But I agree with you that he probably stacks up a lot better than many of the presidents who have followed him.

You might be right, but I suspect that modern Americans know rather too little about him even in those terms. Reputations come and go in this age of forgetting, but I meant that historians' consensus on Ike is generally very positive. The cultural revolutionaries of 1968 were never going to honour a man who represented the values of the 1940s and 1950s, and it took a long time for the sober judgement of history to be heard. His record of achievement as president, despite spending much of his second term in ill-health, is a remarkable one. the Wikipedia entry is a fair assessment :

" Historians long ago abandoned the view that Eisenhower's was a failed presidency. He did, after all, end the Korean War without getting into any others. He stabilized, and did not escalate, the Soviet-American rivalry. He strengthened European alliances while withdrawing support from European colonialism. He rescued the Republican Party from isolationism and McCarthyism. He maintained prosperity, balanced the budget, promoted technological innovation, facilitated (if reluctantly) the civil rights movement and warned, in the most memorable farewell address since Washington's, of a "militaryindustrial complex" that could endanger the nation's liberties. Not until Reagan would another president leave office with so strong a sense of having accomplished what he set out to do.[244]"

It is hard to imagine this man and Donald J Trump occupying the same office. Indeed, I think he is a superior president to Reagan, Clinton and poor Jack Kennedy combined. Kennedy deserves some slack because his term was cut so short, of course, and we will never know it would have unfolded.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:59 pm

Mugwump wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
David wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Bookmark this.

Trump juxtaposed himself with FDR with respect to infrastructure. However he has missed the glaring part of FDR warning against the power of the Military Industrial Complex. Then again that's alternative facts for you.

Poor Eisenhower's having a bad day. First, David put him behind Reagan, Kennedy and (God help us) Clinton. Now you're attributing one of his greatest insights (the MIC) to FDR. Wink

He was, in my view, one the greatest presidents of the US in the 20th Century. he was not without blot (the overthrow of Mossadeq was a sad misjudgement and a moral mistake) but it is probably impossible to get it all right when exercising great power. He was that rare thing, an essentially kindly man who knew that this world requires tough and difficult choices.

Oops mea culpa. See what alternative facts can do Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 220, 221, 222  Next
Page 25 of 222   

Jump to: