Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post inauguration Trump:

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 220, 221, 222  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:07 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

pietillidie wrote:
pietillidie wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
It is quite possible that Trumpery ("les langues des hommes sont plein de tromperies") will have some surprising successes as it blunders about. It may also crash in flames relatively quickly. But if there are successes, we should remember that success will be incidental and temporary, as it has so often been before. This man is not fit for this office. It will show sooner or later.

Agreed; you're right to caution on this.

Just the promise of mammoth tax cuts, and a retreat to the USD in the midst of global uncertainty caused by Trump, could be enough to mask the chaos for a while.

And, for the record, we ought to be very clear about how good Obama's economy is. All positive indicators, including technical full employment according to many.

What on earth is technical full employment?

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:11 pm

Then again, it may not. That is only a hypothetical.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:39 pm

watt price tully wrote:
A letter to the US from John Cleese

Laughing Laughing

https://www.ezitt.com/_cogink/cleese/

Hate to be that guy, but...

http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/revocation.asp

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:12 am

think positive wrote:
pietillidie wrote:
pietillidie wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
It is quite possible that Trumpery ("les langues des hommes sont plein de tromperies") will have some surprising successes as it blunders about. It may also crash in flames relatively quickly. But if there are successes, we should remember that success will be incidental and temporary, as it has so often been before. This man is not fit for this office. It will show sooner or later.

Agreed; you're right to caution on this.

Just the promise of mammoth tax cuts, and a retreat to the USD in the midst of global uncertainty caused by Trump, could be enough to mask the chaos for a while.

And, for the record, we ought to be very clear about how good Obama's economy is. All positive indicators, including technical full employment according to many.

What on earth is technical full employment?

Maybe it's something to do with this TP.....

The unemployment rate has improved significantly, from 7.8 percent at Obama’s January 20, 2009, inauguration to 5.0 percent in April.

However, as more and more Americans stop looking for work, the Labor Force Participation Rate on Obama’s watch has fallen from 65.7 percent to 62.8 percent, a level last measured before Obama in March 1978. Since Obama took office, this metric has slid 4.1 percent

Or all these other 'Great' Obama achievements..

Obama is the only U.S. chief executive in history not to preside over even a single year with 3 percent GDP growth, as the Institute for Policy Innovation’s Tom Giovanetti observes:

‘From 1790 to 2000, U.S. real GDP growth averaged 3.79 percent,’ entrepreneur Louis Woodhill explained at RealClearMarkets. He expects final figures to show that ‘2015 will have been the tenth year in a row that real GDP growth came in at under 3.0 percent.’

During the Obama years, the number of Americans below the poverty line is up 3.5 percent.

Real median household income: down 2.3 percent.

Americans on Food Stamps — 33 million then, 46 million now: up 39.5 percent.

Americans who own homes: down 5.6 percent.

National debt — $10.63 trillion then vs. $19.19 trillion last Wednesday: up 80.5 percent.

Meanwhile, millions of college-educated Millennials are languishing in their parents’ basements and wallowing in student debt, with limited prospects. Many of those who have found work lag their predecessors.

Insurance companies are fleeing Obamacare’s exchanges. Amid $650 million in expected losses this year, UnitedHealth announced that it would medevac itself out of all but “a handful” of its 34 state markets.

The percentage of families in which no one is employed has grown from 17.8 in 2008 to 19.7 in 2015, the Bureau of Labor Statistics reports.

As the Wall Street Journal’s Dan Henninger has noted, even the Clintons acknowledge Obama’s economic wreckage.

Americans are suffering “the awful legacy of the last eight years,” Bill Clinton said in March. He explained on April 26, “The problem is, 80 percent of the American people are still living on what they were living on the day before the crash [of 2008]. And about half the American people, after you adjust for inflation, are living on what they were living on the last day I was president, 15 years ago. So that’s what’s the matter.”

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:13 am

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/435093/barack-obama-economy-jobs-ugly-truth

Cool

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:52 am

^ as the great Jonathan Swift observed, in one of the most sage aphorisms of all time, " you cannot reason a man out of a position he was not first reasoned into".

Blaming Obama for the legacy of a financial crisis that incubated, developed and erupted in George W Bush's tenure as president is like blaming Harry Truman for the devastation at Pearl Harbour. The last time an event like 2008 occurred, in 1929, about 25% of Americans were made unemployed by the consequences. This time, unemployment peaked below 10%.

it is simply naked, crass ideological propaganda to argue that Obama caused the underperformance of the American economy since 2008. By allowing the deficit to increase significantly, underwriting the troubled asset relief programme to keep banks afloat (turning a profit, in the end, for the taxpayer), bailing out General Motors and allowing novel QE-based monetary policy, human misery comparable to 1929 was averted. There was nothing inevitable about that; good government is quite rare.

It was a great achievement by any rational measure.

Last edited by Mugwump on Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:58 am

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/feb/03/kellyanne-conway-refugees-bowling-green-massacre-never-happened

https://www.cato.org/blog/little-national-security-benefit-trumps-executive-order-immigration

"In his book The Authoritarians, psychologist Bob Altemeyer says people with authoritarian personality types collect beliefs from people they trust, not through reasoning and evidence. He writes: 'Research reveals that authoritarian followers drive through life under the influence of impaired thinking a lot more than most people do, exhibiting sloppy reasoning, highly compartmentalised beliefs, double standards, hypocrisy, self-blindness, a profound ethnocentrism, and – to top it all off – a ferocious dogmatism that makes it unlikely anyone could ever change their minds with evidence or logic.' "

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/feb/04/goodbye-my-darlings-remembering-the-trauma-of-australias-last-execution
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:19 pm

Perhaps someone on here has asked the question and I've missed it. Anyway, since there were 19 perpetrators of the 9/11 attacks and, of those, 15 were Saudis, 2 were from the UAE, 1 was from Egypt and 1 was from Lebanon, why does Trump's travel ban not target any of those countries at all?
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:30 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Perhaps someone on here has asked the question and I've missed it. Anyway, since there were 19 perpetrators of the 9/11 attacks and, of those, 15 were Saudis, 2 were from the UAE, 1 was from Egypt and 1 was from Lebanon, why does Trump's travel ban not target any of those countries at all?

because Trump's order doesn't mention any countries, it refers to the list compiled by the government agencies (under Obama) of the countries that pose a threat. I forget the actual term.

As such, if the list is updated, the order remains current and a new one isn't needed.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:32 pm

Thats okay I forget things all the time.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:31 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/feb/03/kellyanne-conway-refugees-bowling-green-massacre-never-happened

https://www.cato.org/blog/little-national-security-benefit-trumps-executive-order-immigration

"In his book The Authoritarians, psychologist Bob Altemeyer says people with authoritarian personality types collect beliefs from people they trust, not through reasoning and evidence. He writes: 'Research reveals that authoritarian followers drive through life under the influence of impaired thinking a lot more than most people do, exhibiting sloppy reasoning, highly compartmentalised beliefs, double standards, hypocrisy, self-blindness, a profound ethnocentrism, and – to top it all off – a ferocious dogmatism that makes it unlikely anyone could ever change their minds with evidence or logic.' "

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/feb/04/goodbye-my-darlings-remembering-the-trauma-of-australias-last-execution

Altemeyer's description sounds would apply to many categories of belief, not just "authoritarians" (whatever that means - it is often used by Leftists to mean people who think that rules set down by a legitimate authority ought to be followed even if you do not like them). For a rigorous, balanced and more serious position, try reading "the righteous mind" by Jonathan Haidt. It explains, without taking sides, why people who hold "Left" vs "Right" political beliefs tend to do so.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:45 pm

Left and right are such meaningless terms these days. I know I use them too but they really don't work anymore.

IMHO anyone on the outer edge of the social and/or economic spectrum has an immature mind that can't see the bigger picture

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:02 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

because Trump's order doesn't mention any countries, it refers to the list compiled by the government agencies (under Obama) of the countries that pose a threat. I forget the actual term.

As such, if the list is updated, the order remains current and a new one isn't needed.

So,what, it's just someone else's list, is it? Did someone in Homeland Security spill coffee on the spot where their list used to say "Saudi Arabia"?
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:18 pm

^

If they did, and it was American coffee, it would have dissolved the paper

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:41 pm

I was thinking today what has happened to Trumps No.1 supporter Wokko?

I see he hasn't post since December 20th.

I don't suppose he went hunting with David Leyonhjelm and suffered a Dick Cheney type incident?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 220, 221, 222  Next
Page 18 of 222   

Jump to: