Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post inauguration Trump:

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 93, 94, 95 ... 220, 221, 222  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:59 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

^ I don't see this as a Trump thing (posting it in this thread notwithstanding) as much as an America thing and, more broadly, an international power thing. It's just the way our world works.
MJ23 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:21 pm

David wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Wokko wrote:
Trump just offered Warren $1 Million to prove her Native American heritage. Laughing

He actually offered to give it to Charity.

Quote:
He went on to suggest that, should Warren win the Democratic nomination in 2020 and they were to debate, he would toss an ancestry test to her and dare her to take it. In doing so, he made light of the #MeToo movement.
"We'll take that little kit and say, we have to go it gently because we are in the Me Too generation, and we will very gently take that kit, slowly toss it" to her, Trump said, adding that he would offer $1 million to charity if she took the test and it "shows you are an Indian."
"I have a feeling she will say no," he added.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/07/05/politics/trump-montana-rally-pruitt-resigns/index.html

I don’t understand why he or anyone else would think this is relevant. Can you imagine Turnbull or Shorten demanding that Jacqui Lambie prove her claims to Aboriginal heritage? And this from a guy who wouldn’t release his tax returns or a proper medical assessment.

Dave you said previously that Warren is a potential presidential candidate. She has claimed native ancestry and there is a question over if / how she benefited from this especially if the claim is false. The recipes in the cookbook she contributed to as a "Cherokee" were plagiarised and included ingredients not available for natives at the time.

It will become relevant the same way you just pointed the finger at Trump and his tax returns or medical. The same doctor who conducted the medical for Obama did Trumps. Yet his integrity is questioned only for Trumps. There was no legal requirement for Trump to produce his tax returns - precedent yes not a requirement. Should he have, I think so but by not doing so he left himself open to attack.
Both "issues" for Trump and many, many, many more were thrown at him in the election.

Warren can expect the same and more if she becomes the candidate. This is the reason many potential candidates don't run.

You can argue the relevance for most of these things for any and all candidates but you cant suggest its open season on one and not the other.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:09 pm

I think you’re confusing Trump’s presidential health check with the phony one he received from his personal physician during the campaign. Frankly, I don’t think either health checks or personal tax returns should need to be made public during election campaigns, but I was noting the hypocrisy in Trump trying to do a birther movement mark 2 on Warren – clearly, he has learned nothing from last time.

I have no doubt that, if she does run for president, the cookbook will indeed be among the many excruciating mundanities that the US media love to fixate on.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:12 pm

Market for 2020 President

Trump $2.25
Pence $11
Sanders, Biden & Harris $13
Warren $14
Newsom $15
Gillibrand & Mrs Obama $17
Booker & Gabbard $21
Rubio, Cuban, Winfrey & Bloomberg $26

MJ23 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:34 pm

David wrote:
I think you’re confusing Trump’s presidential health check with the phony one he received from his personal physician during the campaign. Frankly, I don’t think either health checks or personal tax returns should need to be made public during election campaigns, but I was noting the hypocrisy in Trump trying to do a birther movement mark 2 on Warren – clearly, he has learned nothing from last time.

I have no doubt that, if she does run for president, the cookbook will indeed be among the many excruciating mundanities that the US media love to fixate on.

Oh, ok Im with you. Still, he had remarkable endurance particularly in the back end of the campaign.

MJ23 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:36 pm

Skids wrote:
Market for 2020 President

Trump $2.25
Pence $11
Sanders, Biden & Harris $13
Warren $14
Newsom $15
Gillibrand & Mrs Obama $17
Booker & Gabbard $21
Rubio, Cuban, Winfrey & Bloomberg $26

Fairly diverse group.
Nov mid term results will dictate the candidate I think.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:37 am

The champion of the battlers - or maybe not - https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/jul/09/trump-driver-sues-unpaid-wages-noel-cintron
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:19 pm

I'm pretty sceptical about a lot of the Russiagate stuff, but this is a fun read nonetheless:

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/07/trump-putin-russia-collusion.html

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:20 pm

Trump nominates Brett Kavanaugh for Supreme Court.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-decides-u-supreme-court-003517688.html
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:02 pm

David wrote:
This is what international hegemony looks like:

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/07/08/health/world-health-breastfeeding-ecuador-trump.html

Quote:
American officials sought to water down the resolution by removing language that called on governments to “protect, promote and support breast-feeding” and another passage that called on policymakers to restrict the promotion of food products that many experts say can have deleterious effects on young children.

When that failed, they turned to threats, according to diplomats and government officials who took part in the discussions. Ecuador, which had planned to introduce the measure, was the first to find itself in the cross hairs.

The Americans were blunt: If Ecuador refused to drop the resolution, Washington would unleash punishing trade measures and withdraw crucial military aid. The Ecuadorean government quickly acquiesced.

Quote:
An international resolution promoting breastfeeding was at the center of negotiations between delegates from the United States and other countries during this year's meeting of the World Health Assembly (the decision-making body of the World Health Organization), held in the spring.

Some US delegates reportedly wanted to water down the resolution, while others wanted to maintain strong language, leading to a debate on the floor, seen in an online webcast.
In the end, "delegates at this year's World Health Assembly unanimously renewed their commitment to invest and scale up nutrition policies and programmes to improve infant and young child feeding. We are not in a position to comment on exchanges between different delegations," WHO spokesman Tarik Jašarević wrote in an email.

Quote:
Responding to the account of the WHO resolution, US Department of Health and Human Services spokeswoman Caitlin Oakley said in a statement that the US "has a long history of supporting mothers and breastfeeding around the world and is the largest bilateral donor of such foreign assistance programs."
"The United States was fighting to protect women's abilities to make the best choices for the nutrition of their babies," she said. "Many women are not able to breastfeed for a variety of reasons, these women should not be stigmatized; they should be equally supported with information and access to alternatives for the health of themselves and their babies."
President Donald Trump tweeted similar sentiments on Monday, posting that the US "strongly supports breastfeeding but we don't believe women should be denied access to formula. Many women need this option because of malnutrition and poverty."

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/07/09/health/breastfeeding-resolution-explainer/index.html

Hegemony or fake news?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:07 pm

Spin. There was nothing in the resolution about denying mothers access to formula or stigmatising those who can’t breastfeed. There was wording in the resolution that might have harmed the commercial interests of US formula companies.

Of course, the US government would love for people to believe that the actual news reports of what went down are fake and that their spin is correct. That would be a very convenient manoeuvre.

Last edited by David on Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:12 pm

^

Apparently they have classes for that these days.

I'll have to ask WPT about them. Wink

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:38 pm

^ As the US fails to influence a resolution at the WHO, and the liberal media hand-wring about its negotiation tactics, a major transgression of the Montreal ozone protocol by China passes without New Left comment.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-44738952

It is interesting that Leftist outrage descends upon the Us for something that didn’t happen whereas silence passes over this real issue. What underlies this dreadful imbalance in the world view of the modern leftist ?

Does capitalism’s economic success embarrass them ? Is it simply a desire to bite the hand that feeds you because you feel humiliated by security reliance on a larger power ? Is it a perverted romanticism about countries which have no white race heritage ? A hankering for the kind of superstate apparatus which China represents and the US has always opposed, defeating first fascism and then Sovietism ? Some deeper psychological issue to do with self-image? I find the Anti-American fixation baffling.

To take this issue as a case in point, it’s like watching an armed robbery unfold and then choosing to complain about the US overtaking on a bend.

Last edited by Mugwump on Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:55 pm

^

But we burn some coal and that supposedly enhances global warming and climate change,

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:17 am

In other news, thousands of Uighur children are sent to Chinese state orphanages for “political re-education” after their parents are detained for political crimes. I cannot link to it, but if you doubt it, you can google the completely reputable “Financial Times” for the article headlined “Uighur children fall victim to China anti-terror drive” in today’s paper.

I look forward to the howls of outrage about our major trading partner, from those who are so vociferous about the USA.

Last edited by Mugwump on Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 93, 94, 95 ... 220, 221, 222  Next
Page 94 of 222   

Jump to: