Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post inauguration Trump:

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 92, 93, 94 ... 220, 221, 222  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:30 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the mysteries of Republicans is how much they love inflation and instability. George W. rode high in poll after poll until his chaos came home to roost; are we seeing much the same thing again?

To back the same two things - inflation and instability - so soon after W is astonishing. The show might be different, but the fundamentals look eerily similar on reflection. The changes on the margins of the voting block don't really alter this.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:33 pm

Do you think he is a good president?
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:09 pm

pietillidie wrote:
One of the mysteries of Republicans is how much they love inflation and instability. George W. rode high in poll after poll until his chaos came home to roost; are we seeing much the same thing again?

To back the same two things - inflation and instability - so soon after W is astonishing. The show might be different, but the fundamentals look eerily similar on reflection. The changes on the margins of the voting block don't really alter this.

I’d say that both sides of politics love “instability”. Few things are as destabilizing as the twin forces of globalization and mass migration, which are overwhelmingly part of the consensus between the pro-business, libertarian right and the postmodern Left. Given that you are an ardent advocate of these twin forces, perhaps you struggle to see the contribution your ideology makes to instability.

If you mean destabilization in international relations, then I think it is a Trump phenomenon. Bush invaded Iraq, a gross act of hubris, but otherwise he was relatively conservative in terms of supporting the world order. Trump is just a rampaging elephant ridden by a lot of people enraged by the way their lives and values and communities have been ripped apart by those twin forces.

Your inflation point is not obvious to me. Ever since Volcker and the dawn of global supply chains, some thirty years ago, US inflation has been low. The Republicans of the modern era are certainly worse managers of the economy than the Democrats, because they like to cut taxes but they have to get elected, so they do not cut programmes. This causes deficit expansion and private debt accumulation, which creates monetary instability but not, in a globalised economy, inflation. Trump’s tariff baiting may well create inflation if he follows through with it, but it is hardly a fact, let alone a pattern, at this point.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:53 pm

^I think you're wrong, but I appreciate the reply and will respond and explain what I mean when time permits.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:57 pm

pietillidie wrote:
^I think you're wrong, but I appreciate the reply and will respond and explain what I mean when time permits.

No worries mate. We don’t agree on much, but as you know I respect your intellect and preparedness to engage with big questions.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:35 am

stui magpie wrote:
Wokko wrote:
Trump just offered Warren $1 Million to prove her Native American heritage. Laughing

He actually offered to give it to Charity.

Quote:
He went on to suggest that, should Warren win the Democratic nomination in 2020 and they were to debate, he would toss an ancestry test to her and dare her to take it. In doing so, he made light of the #MeToo movement.
"We'll take that little kit and say, we have to go it gently because we are in the Me Too generation, and we will very gently take that kit, slowly toss it" to her, Trump said, adding that he would offer $1 million to charity if she took the test and it "shows you are an Indian."
"I have a feeling she will say no," he added.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/07/05/politics/trump-montana-rally-pruitt-resigns/index.html

I don’t understand why he or anyone else would think this is relevant. Can you imagine Turnbull or Shorten demanding that Jacqui Lambie prove her claims to Aboriginal heritage? And this from a guy who wouldn’t release his tax returns or a proper medical assessment.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:58 pm

I just lost the longest post of all time. Usually, when your account times out while you're composing you can use the browser back button to recover the text, but for some reason it didn't allow me to. Nooooooooooooooo!

Mugwump, another time.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:06 pm

Ah, so frustrating ! Sorry to hear it. While I probably would have enjoyed reading the longest post of all time, perhaps others may be less chagrined. Wink
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:39 pm

David wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Wokko wrote:
Trump just offered Warren $1 Million to prove her Native American heritage. Laughing

He actually offered to give it to Charity.

Quote:
He went on to suggest that, should Warren win the Democratic nomination in 2020 and they were to debate, he would toss an ancestry test to her and dare her to take it. In doing so, he made light of the #MeToo movement.
"We'll take that little kit and say, we have to go it gently because we are in the Me Too generation, and we will very gently take that kit, slowly toss it" to her, Trump said, adding that he would offer $1 million to charity if she took the test and it "shows you are an Indian."
"I have a feeling she will say no," he added.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/07/05/politics/trump-montana-rally-pruitt-resigns/index.html

I don’t understand why he or anyone else would think this is relevant. Can you imagine Turnbull or Shorten demanding that Jacqui Lambie prove her claims to Aboriginal heritage? And this from a guy who wouldn’t release his tax returns or a proper medical assessment.

I didn't realise that Lambie had claimed that but, if she was in the running for leader of a major party you can bet that both Shorten and Turnbull would bring it up to attack her credibility

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:54 pm

If Lambie used her Aboriginality to land a job at a prestigious University, wrote an aboriginal cookbook and had Aboriginal groups demanding she prove it then yes, it would be something that would be demanded she prove.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:30 pm

I don’t think either of you really believe that. An Aboriginal cookbook, really? That’s a matter of political import that a mainstream party leader is going to make an issue of? I mean, FFS, Shorten was (justifiably) toey about the Abbott birth certificate issue, let alone going after someone’s ethnic heritage.

Face it, Trump’s either a racist or surrounded by enough of them to be convinced that this is a) a matter of public interest and b) a good angle to discredit a political opponent. Considering his obsession with Obama’s birthplace, I think we can draw our own conclusions.

Last edited by David on Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:34 pm

pietillidie wrote:
I just lost the longest post of all time. Usually, when your account times out while you're composing you can use the browser back button to recover the text, but for some reason it didn't allow me to. Nooooooooooooooo!

Mugwump, another time.

seriously scary, we miss your epic war and peace posts!

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:01 am

David wrote:
I don’t think either of you really believe that. An Aboriginal cookbook, really? That’s a matter of political import that a mainstream party leader is going to make an issue of? I mean, FFS, Shorten was (justifiably) toey about the Abbott birth certificate issue, let alone going after someone’s ethnic heritage.

Face it, Trump’s either a racist or surrounded by enough of them to be convinced that this is a) a matter of public interest and b) a good angle to discredit a political opponent. Considering his obsession with Obama’s birthplace, I think we can draw our own conclusions.

Seriously? It's purely a discrediting tactic. Read any more into it, you're drinking the Koolaid

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:10 am

This is what international hegemony looks like:

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/07/08/health/world-health-breastfeeding-ecuador-trump.html

Quote:
American officials sought to water down the resolution by removing language that called on governments to “protect, promote and support breast-feeding” and another passage that called on policymakers to restrict the promotion of food products that many experts say can have deleterious effects on young children.

When that failed, they turned to threats, according to diplomats and government officials who took part in the discussions. Ecuador, which had planned to introduce the measure, was the first to find itself in the cross hairs.

The Americans were blunt: If Ecuador refused to drop the resolution, Washington would unleash punishing trade measures and withdraw crucial military aid. The Ecuadorean government quickly acquiesced.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:28 am

David wrote:
This is what international hegemony looks like:

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/07/08/health/world-health-breastfeeding-ecuador-trump.html

Quote:
American officials sought to water down the resolution by removing language that called on governments to “protect, promote and support breast-feeding” and another passage that called on policymakers to restrict the promotion of food products that many experts say can have deleterious effects on young children.

When that failed, they turned to threats, according to diplomats and government officials who took part in the discussions. Ecuador, which had planned to introduce the measure, was the first to find itself in the cross hairs.

The Americans were blunt: If Ecuador refused to drop the resolution, Washington would unleash punishing trade measures and withdraw crucial military aid. The Ecuadorean government quickly acquiesced.

Well, if it is, then hegemony clearly isn’t what it used to be : the resolution in question was passed !

It appears to show a rather cynical use of trade muscle, but that’s what large economic powers do in many ways, Europe and China included. I’d suggest that to understand this properly, one might need to know more about the history of trade in this particular product. Trade issues are very complex and often beset with obscure agendas,. They are best pontificated upon by those with a deep knowledge of the details. It may be another example of Trump’s elephantine loutishness. But it’s not much of a hegemonic achievement.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 92, 93, 94 ... 220, 221, 222  Next
Page 93 of 222   

Jump to: