Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Melbourne CBD incident. 6 dead. Many more injured.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:32 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said, Lazza and WPT. Another crucial 'fact' that that list gets wrong (or at least gives the wrong impression on) is that paedophiles are likely to reoffend. Actually, once convicted and released, sex offenders have a lower rate of recidivism than nearly other criminal category.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:05 pm

David wrote:
Well said, Lazza and WPT. Another crucial 'fact' that that list gets wrong (or at least gives the wrong impression on) is that paedophiles are likely to reoffend. Actually, once convicted and released, sex offenders have a lower rate of recidivism than nearly other criminal category.

Source?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:44 pm

This is an American source, but I presume the figures hold true here too:

https://www.smart.gov/SOMAPI/sec1/ch5_recidivism.html

Quote:
Sex offenders in the Sample and Bray study had 1-year, 3-year, and 5-year rearrest rates for any new offense of 21.3 percent, 37.4 percent, and 45.1 percent, respectively. These overall recidivism rates were lower than those found for all other categories of offenders in the analysis, except homicide and property damage offenders.

Keep in mind that those re-arrest rates are for all crimes committed by released sex offenders, sexual or otherwise. What's interesting is that:

Quote:
All three studies found positive treatment effects, but what is most relevant is the consistent finding across studies that sex offenders are far more likely to recidivate with a nonsexual rather than a sexual crime. Several single studies that have been undertaken to evaluate treatment effectiveness, and several meta-analyses that have been undertaken for other reasons, have produced similar findings.

Plenty of data there if you're interested in reading the whole thing.

Last edited by David on Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:31 pm

back on topic,

Quote:
THE man charged with five counts of murder over Fridays Bourke St massacre has refused to appear in court.

Now Dimitrious Gargasoulas isnt expected to return to court until August.

Even then he will only appear via video link and will not step inside a courtroom until next year.

Instead he will stay in custody on remand while police and prosecutors work to build their case against him.

Mr Gargasoulas, 26, of Windsor was taken to the Melbourne Magistrates Court today hours after leaving hospital for a formal police interview.

He has been charged with five counts of murder.

He refused to be brought into court, citing ill health, and instead remained in custody cells below the court building.

Mr Gargasoulas had been under treatment in hospital for a gunshot wound suffered when police arrested him after the CBD rampage which has claimed five lives.

His lawyer told the court Mr Gargasoulas was too unwell to appear in person.

There were no family members of either Mr Gargasoulas or his alleged victims, or any witnesses in court for the brief hearing.

Prosecutors asked for extra time, an extraordinarily long nine months, to prepare their brief of evidence.

The court heard the extra time was because of the unprecedented nature of the case.

Deputy chief magistrate Jelena Popovic agreed but set an earlier than normal committal mention date.

Mr Gargasoulas will return to court on August 1 for a special mention.

He is expected to appear via videolink on that occasion and on December 15 at a committal mention hearing.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/law-order/bourke-st-mall-attack-dimitrious-jimmy-gargasoulas-interviewed-by-police/news-story/a66c2a16ff07470cb480989ea9f09136

WTAF? 9 months to prepare a brief of evidence? 9 fkn months? Seriously? Shocked

That is unmitigated bull shit. Pull some people off other jobs, make this their sole priority, if they can't pull together a compelling case in a month, sack them.

5150 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:39 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Skids wrote:
I'm reading a lot of stuff saying this bloke is a muslim and was heard screaming aloha snackbar.... is this confirmed?

Would explain why he stabbed his homosexual brother in the face before his copycat murders.

Being a homophobe with quite extreme anger management problems would explain it much better.

I'm no Muslim, homophobe or have an anger management issues but if there is a snackbar in front of me I may even say hello in many a foreign language.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:08 pm

stui magpie wrote:
back on topic,

Quote:
THE man charged with five counts of murder over Fridays Bourke St massacre has refused to appear in court.

Now Dimitrious Gargasoulas isnt expected to return to court until August.

Even then he will only appear via video link and will not step inside a courtroom until next year.

Instead he will stay in custody on remand while police and prosecutors work to build their case against him.

Mr Gargasoulas, 26, of Windsor was taken to the Melbourne Magistrates Court today hours after leaving hospital for a formal police interview.

He has been charged with five counts of murder.

He refused to be brought into court, citing ill health, and instead remained in custody cells below the court building.

Mr Gargasoulas had been under treatment in hospital for a gunshot wound suffered when police arrested him after the CBD rampage which has claimed five lives.

His lawyer told the court Mr Gargasoulas was too unwell to appear in person.

There were no family members of either Mr Gargasoulas or his alleged victims, or any witnesses in court for the brief hearing.

Prosecutors asked for extra time, an extraordinarily long nine months, to prepare their brief of evidence.

The court heard the extra time was because of the unprecedented nature of the case.

Deputy chief magistrate Jelena Popovic agreed but set an earlier than normal committal mention date.

Mr Gargasoulas will return to court on August 1 for a special mention.

He is expected to appear via videolink on that occasion and on December 15 at a committal mention hearing.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/law-order/bourke-st-mall-attack-dimitrious-jimmy-gargasoulas-interviewed-by-police/news-story/a66c2a16ff07470cb480989ea9f09136

That is unmitigated bull shit. Pull some people off other jobs, make this their sole priority, if they can't pull together a compelling case in a month, sack them.

Such total bullshit, what a waste of tax payer new. Just throw away the key now, he has no defence, damn shame that bullet missed

And how does he refuse to go to court? $$%^%%$ drag him there, shoot at his heels,

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:46 pm

stui magpie wrote:

I actually thought that sounded quite reasonable given the nature and extent of the incident - some victims still critical, autopsies and Coroners reports, so many witness statements etc etc. let alone the chronology which needs to be exact!

Have you ever been involved in a Sentinel event? The investigative panel and required RCA can take many weeks indeed sometimes into months and it usually involves the death of 1 person in a controlled environment.

He isn't going anywhere ( this time!) - I don't think other families waiting for Coroner inquests should be shuffled to the bottom they are grieving and want answers too or other criminal investigations put on hold and you certainly don't want inexperience or a rush to result in any sort of legal loophole.

Personally - pass me the syringe!!

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:00 pm

I've never been involved in a sentinel event, but I don't see why it should be so hard or take so long to prepare a brief for the DPP.

It's not hard, start with the entry into the mall and leave the rest out. timing, actions and outcome are all pretty clear.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:04 pm

Can you remember any time that he or she've did it?
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:12 pm

stui magpie wrote:
I've never been involved in a sentinel event, but I don't see why it should be so hard or take so long to prepare a brief for the DPP.

It's not hard, start with the entry into the mall and leave the rest out. timing, actions and outcome are all pretty clear.

No they aren't - at what precise time was the baby struck, the 10 yr old the others injured or killed?

He has been charged and is and will remain in custody - they need to make sure they get it right as his defence ambulance chasers will be looking for every possible discrepancy - frustrating as it may be - it has to be precise and accurate!

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:41 pm

Morrigu wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

No they aren't - at what precise time was the baby struck, the 10 yr old the others injured or killed?

He has been charged and is and will remain in custody - they need to make sure they get it right as his defence ambulance chasers will be looking for every possible discrepancy - frustrating as it may be - it has to be precise and accurate!

You are right that they need to navigate the snake holes carefully to get the just outcome. It ought to be possible to avoid this, but apparently it is not. Lawyers have designed the legal system. It pays better that way.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:44 pm

That seems like good money to me.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:11 pm

Morrigu wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

I actually thought that sounded quite reasonable given the nature and extent of the incident - some victims still critical, autopsies and Coroners reports, so many witness statements etc etc. let alone the chronology which needs to be exact!

Have you ever been involved in a Sentinel event? The investigative panel and required RCA can take many weeks indeed sometimes into months and it usually involves the death of 1 person in a controlled environment.

He isn't going anywhere ( this time!) - I don't think other families waiting for Coroner inquests should be shuffled to the bottom they are grieving and want answers too or other criminal investigations put on hold and you certainly don't want inexperience or a rush to result in any sort of legal loophole.

Personally - pass me the syringe!!

Yep. Correct weight.

Get it right & don't f*ck it up.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:53 am

So ... I guess he hasn't applied for bail yet?
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:05 am

Tannin wrote:
So ... I guess he hasn't applied for bail yet?

Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 9 of 12   

Jump to: