Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Melbourne CBD incident. 6 dead. Many more injured.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:41 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of observations from someone who accidentally walked through the area of carnage a couple of minutes after it happened.

First, the reporting was either remarkably inaccurate or deliberately censored - I walked up Elizabeth St from Collins and left into Bourke St (that is, heading west up the hill) and then crossed Bourke St at the lights opposite Mcdonalds. I told my wife in a telephone conversation at 1.37pm that I'd walked past between 6 and 8 people (all adults) in that half-block who were lying prone on the pavement, all face down and bleeding. They were all in such a bad way that I thought they must have been shot in the head at close range (which was obviously not the case). It was apparent to me that many, many people had been very seriously injured (or worse) and that the early reports of injuries were serious under-estimates.

Secondly, there were a lot of police apparently confused about what had happened (or, perhaps, at that stage, was still happening). There were no early attempts to secure the area (hence me and thousands of others like me being able to walk to and through the area, completely unaware of any problem until we got there) and there seemed to have been no effective efforts to anticipate where the perpetrator might go or what he might do. And, after the event, there were no prompt efforts to keep people away. So, eg, in order to get to the mall, I got on the tram in Collins St at William St. At that stage the police helicopter was circling close by - as I now realise, it was obviously circling at that time above the Flinders St/Swanston St intersection. Perhaps it was unthinkable to the police that this idiot would proceed up the two pedestrian malls but, from where he was, it would seem to me to have been a serious (and probably by far the most dangerous) possibility. In any event, quite a bit of time passed between me getting on the tram with the helicopter circling and me wandering blithely through the middle of the crime scene and it is rather surprising to me that the area wasn't secured more effectively and more quickly.

Thirdly, although to my observation there were plenty of lay-people tending to the wounded, there were no ambulances for a very long time. I tried to approach a few policeman to try to alert them to what seemed to me to be the extent of the medical emergency - but they all seemed to want to run off towards the mall and I couldn't get anyone's attention. Given that, by that stage, the perpetrator must have been shot and arrested (in the opposite direction to the one the police were running), there seemed to be a communications breakdown of some kind.

Fourthly, within a very short distance of the crime scene, people were going about their business quite oblivious to the disaster that had just unfolded. So, eg, the on-street diners in Hardware Lane (alongside the McDonalds and just north of Bourke St) were still happily lunching and there was no police presence at all when I walked though. I have neither knowledge nor skill in disaster management but if there were ever to be a serious terrorist incident in the CBD, the lack of coordination and control I observed yesterday strongly suggests to me that Melbourne is not properly prepared to deal with it.

Fifthly, the mainstream media were very, very slow to report anything about the incident. I was eating lunch in Zam Zams (having spent some time browsing CDs in the Lonsdale St JB) when the news finally broke.

I have no barrow to push about any of this - I'm sure that all the people concerned did their absolute best to deal with a dreadful situation as it unfolded but, in real time, I just had the sense that everything about the emergency response and dealing with the aftermath occurred too slowly.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:17 am

So after witnessing scores of people seriously injured (some dead/dying?) you thought a spot of lunch and shopping was in order.

Okay then. I knew you were cold but man you're freezing.

Having watched footage of the aftermath on liveleak I to thought the response by emergency management was a little slow in attending to the injured strewn all over the pavement as well as crowd management though in fairness I'm not sure how long after the incident it was taken.

I guess it's a reminder that real life is not like the movies though I hope it serves as a wake up call to those in power and I'm sure some police are questioning today why they didn't or weren't allowed to try and disable his car when he was doing those burnouts.

I read somewhere that apparently there were a number of unmarked police cars on the scene at that stage but they held back from attempting anything.

As I've said previously given we had a terrorist threat averted that centered on Flinders Street before Christmas I believe the government and police will need to take steps to boost police presence in the area as well as elsewhere like Southbank.

Finally why I watched the stated footage I really do find it appalling that some people find it appropriate to whip out there phone and take video or photos of human suffering as it's unfolding.

Put your damn phone down and help or just get out of the way.

I tell you if that was a family member of mine lying injured I would punch anyone in the nose who had the gall to video them.

Hell I'd probably do it if it was a stranger.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:33 am

But you still watched it, which means – even if not the type to whip out a phone yourself in such a situation – you're essentially engaging in the same voyeuristic mentality and behaviour. I don't think any of us are truly immune to it.

swoop42 wrote:
So after witnessing scores of people seriously injured (some dead/dying?) you thought a spot of lunch and shopping was in order.

Okay then. I knew you were cold but man you're freezing.

Quite so – most of us, of course, spent the remainder of the day wearing sackcloth and fasting.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:49 am

Actually, I think that doing something safe and routine was a perfectly reasonable response to the shock. My responses were, in order: 1 see if anyone injured needs help; 2 everyone's being attended to and I know nothing more useful than any of them about first aid but where are the ambulances? I'll alert those policemen - they may be able to get some message through that others can't; 3 they've run away. I'm nowhere near the first on the scene and I won't be the first person to have thought ambulances are required, so I won't dial 000 - that's more likely to be a hindrance than a help; 4 where are my firm's staff? I ring them and tell them to get back inside and stay away from the windows (at this stage, I'm still thinking "sniper", not mad driver); 5 where are my children? They are both supposed to be in the city. I'll call them; 6 they're both OK. My wife is probably hearing about this, so I'd better call her and tell her all 3 of us are OK; 7 she doesn't know anything about it and my call makes her worried - quite the opposite of what I'd intended; 8 here are the ambulances, finally; 9 should I go back to the office? No, it's too far and who knows what's happening? I know, I'll walk home; 10 oh, here's JB. I'll go there instead; 11 no one knows what's going on. What to do? Oh, I remember, Zam Zams next door has a TV. They'll have the news on. 12 if I'm going to sit in here, I'd better buy lunch. I'm pretty confident that is radically incoherent in retrospect - but it all seemed sensible at the time. If you'd like to interpret it in some other way, I can't stop you, though.

I didn't see anyone filming. What I did observe was a lot of people trying to help and a lot of people gossiping. Complete strangers tried to engage me in conversation about what I'd seen and what I thought had happened - I found that quite bizarre and distasteful but those people were probably shocked, too.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:54 pm

Quote:
Finally why I watched the stated footage I really do find it appalling that some people find it appropriate to whip out there phone and take video or photos of human suffering as it's unfolding.

Put your damn phone down and help or just get out of the way.

That is the Age we live in.

People are more Concerned of Getting it on Video so they can put it on Social Media. Instead of People actually helping someone who Badly needs it. Sad Really Crying or Very sad

mandy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:24 pm

Your second post makes much more sense than your first, P4s. And I'm so sorry you had to witness that. 2 of Shelby's friends were there when it happened and although thankfully not physically hurt, they are without doubt 2 very traumatised young women today.

I can't even imagine. Crying or Very sad

#SIDEBYSIDE
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:40 pm

^^^^ Yes, well my first post wasn't directed to defending my actions because it didn't occur to me that could be necessary. It was directed, rather, at my impressions of what was occurring around and about - that was necessarily chaotic.

Sorry to hear about Shelby's friends - there'll be a very large number of people in the same boat, I expect.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:54 pm

Me three P4Shaw! I was waiting for "I whipped off my jacket to stem the bleeding!" Top marks for the second post, sounds like you did the best thing, looked to help, tried to get help, checked on and alerted family, got out the way.

As for not having to explain yourself! Ha, true but it's the tavern, jumping to conclusions is some peoples daily constitutional!

Mandy, glad Shelby and her friends are ok.

At 5 my daughter walked from work to the station, having to detour, and She said there was still a lot of activity, and it was a really horrible feeling to be there.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:36 pm

The ED was remarkably quiet having dealt with the maelstrom that occurred while I was sleeping (night shift). That lasted a few hours as the ED, Police, ED workers & ambulance people had been working their backsides off. By the time I got on it was peaceful & I could catch up with some overdue paperwork. Mind you that lasted the first 2.5 hours of my 10 hour nigh shift!

To be sure, the perpetrator does not have a formal psychiatric history.

Last edited by watt price tully on Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:43 pm

Good, no reason not to put him in general pop then!

(I don't envy you, must be awfully hard to deal with the aftermath) xxx

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:52 pm

think positive wrote:
Good, no reason not to put him in general pop then!

(I don't envy you, must be awfully hard to deal with the aftermath) xxx

Thanks for the thoughts but for me nothing, niente, buggar-all apart from the reaction we all have. I had zero to do with that. I was asleep & woke to the news in the late pm yesterday.

Daughter no 2 works 2 blocks away (probably not far from P4S) & usually goes to a place on Bourke Street for her coffee at the time of the incident. She changed it yesterday for an hour later. She spoke with the coffee vendors who said people just came streaming in to take cover from what they thought was a terrorist action.

It's certainly scary to think about.

*** memo to self though (as I ride my bike through that intersection where the burnouts were occurring) be polite to car drivers - never know who is behind the wheel.

Last edited by watt price tully on Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:57 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
A couple of observations from someone who accidentally walked through the area of carnage a couple of minutes after it happened.

Funny, I was looking for a good lawyer & they were all out to lunch. Wink

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:33 pm

I can relate to both of P4S posts.

I don't know first aid, If I wasn't in a position to do anything useful, get out of the road and let those who can, do.

A place with a TV to figure out WTF is going on is a good idea and it's lunch time and you're hungry so why not eat?

Must have been a fkn shock to the senses though to just suddenly stroll into something resembling a war zone

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:26 pm

watt price tully wrote:

To be sure, the perpetrator does not have a formal psychiatric history.

Well if he didn't before, I'll be stunned if he doesn't now.

Lets recap a little.

facebook rants showing someone who's unhinged at worst or at least drug f*cked when he posted them.

Beat up and steal a car from an old man who he knew and was friendly to him.

Stabs his brother several times Friday morning, leaving him with critical injuries.

After the Police leave his house and the TV media is outside doing a live cross, he's seen on camera in the red commodore, behind the presenter, watching what's going on and, I think, waving to the camera.

Knowing that he's wanted by the Police for critically injuring and possibly even killing his brother, he drives to the city and starts doing doughnuts in the middle of the intersection of Swanston and Flinders.

(the cops BTW in this case do not have an option that won't leave them criticised. massively busy pedestrian area, if they come in like the storm troopers with guns blazing, there'd be outrage. They monitor by helicopter)

He then takes off down Swanston and decides it would be a giggle to drive through the Bourke St mall at reasonable speed and see how many pedestrians he could skittle, even getting up on the footpath to make it harder for them to dodge.

None of these are the actions of a bloke who has all his wiring intact and I can't see how the cops could anticipate that some seemingly drug f*cked hoon would suddenly do that. They were hanging back so he hopefully wouldn't wipe people out by accident trying to get away if they came at him.

Should he have been in remand instead of on bail? Dunno, I'm not clear on what the charges were. It's not like the Jill Meagher case, that prick was a convicted rapist. He had form. This tool was known to cops but was a minor league player by comparison, until yesterday.

If anything good can come from this, it will be the lessons that our emergency services hopefully learn. It all happened very quickly, which something of this nature does, they need to have capability to respond faster in a coordinated way. Cops were apparently on the scene quick enough, but were apparently uncertain of WTF to do, ergo they weren't being properly coordinated and instructed.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:43 pm

mandy wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:
Western suburbs, commission housing, drugs. Enough said really

Windsor is a western suburb? Confused

I first heard he was chased over the west gate. So yeah, I was wrongski on this occasion.

But still, my generalisation is completely accurate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 4 of 12   

Jump to: