Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Did anyone go to match practice today?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:30 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Got bored today so went through the tennis crowd to watch the boys train today. Big crowd showed up to watch a lot of simulated match play being played, the highlight being two 15 minute halves being professionally umpired.

Unfortunately the players are still not wearing numbers on their backs which makes it very hard to pick up the players. For all I know Kirby and Scharenberg were out there. Only I was unable to pick up either player.

The highlight for me was watching Grundy in the ruck. This time last year both Witts and Cox were thrashing Grundy at the centre contests. This time it's the other way around. Grundy is giving both Cox and Lynch a lesson in the ruck. Cox however is very good around the ground. Makes good ground and marks well, then kicks to position. Don't expect anything from Lynch this year. His time will come in 2018 onwards.

Speculation about Well's fitness is a beat up. He played the first 15 minute half and showed just why we recruited him. He's an elite player who never wastes a kick.

Schade looked really good at half back. He has good height and running ability and kicks the ball to position. He may well get a call up during the year in the seniors.

Callum Brown is a superb player who gets the ball at will and always does something with it. When he eventually gets a senior game, expect on average 25-30 disposals a game from him. Daicos isn't far behind him but is a different type of player. Daicos has beautiful centre of gravity like his father, but it's difficult to assess whether his best position is back or forward.

Expecting big years from Crisp and De Goey, who both looked good today. Greenwood and Blair were both looking good as well.

Treloar is a freak. Pendlebury could work his way blindfold through a minefield.

Reid, McLarty and Crocker were doing kick to kick around the perimeter. Both Reid and Crocker don't look too far away. McCarthy spent the first 10 minutes or so in general practice until reverting to running sprints. He jumps high and has a quick reaction time. He could turn out the pick of last years' draftees, but I wouldn't expect much from him this year.

The greatest disappointment out there today is Broomhead. I had hoped he would be starting to mix it again with the main group but he was only running sprints out there today. Sier is only on a slow mend but at least because he is only a second year player, he deserves some slack.
WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:50 pm

Quote:
There were no injuries to report from the hit-out...
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:58 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
MightyMagpie wrote:
AFL's Ben Guthrie just posted an article re today.

So the Club Rely's on Someone else that does not work at the Club to write Articles?

???

I've linked the article in my Season Preview thread for anyone interested.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:06 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
MightyMagpie wrote:
AFL's Ben Guthrie just posted an article re today.

So the Club Rely's on Someone else that does not work at the Club to write Articles?

So? It's posted on the club website. http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2017-01-25/the-big-answers-from-open-training

If we can put content from a professional sports journo on our website, what is the problem?

cityslick1 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:07 am

Its better than the piece that he wrote on the AFL website, with more mentions of WADA, steroids and illicit drugs than actual commentary of form shown by Josh Thomas... and many others.

Journos obviously still being schooled on how to ram as many shock-value keywords into a piece as possible, regardless of relevance...
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:44 am

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
Got bored today so went through the tennis crowd to watch the boys train today. Big crowd showed up to watch a lot of simulated match play being played, the highlight being two 15 minute halves being professionally umpired.

Unfortunately the players are still not wearing numbers on their backs which makes it very hard to pick up the players. For all I know Kirby and Scharenberg were out there. Only I was unable to pick up either player.

The highlight for me was watching Grundy in the ruck. This time last year both Witts and Cox were thrashing Grundy at the centre contests. This time it's the other way around. Grundy is giving both Cox and Lynch a lesson in the ruck. Cox however is very good around the ground. Makes good ground and marks well, then kicks to position. Don't expect anything from Lynch this year. His time will come in 2018 onwards.

Speculation about Well's fitness is a beat up. He played the first 15 minute half and showed just why we recruited him. He's an elite player who never wastes a kick.

Schade looked really good at half back. He has good height and running ability and kicks the ball to position. He may well get a call up during the year in the seniors.

Callum Brown is a superb player who gets the ball at will and always does something with it. When he eventually gets a senior game, expect on average 25-30 disposals a game from him. Daicos isn't far behind him but is a different type of player. Daicos has beautiful centre of gravity like his father, but it's difficult to assess whether his best position is back or forward.

Expecting big years from Crisp and De Goey, who both looked good today. Greenwood and Blair were both looking good as well.

Treloar is a freak. Pendlebury could work his way blindfold through a minefield.

Reid, McLarty and Crocker were doing kick to kick around the perimeter. Both Reid and Crocker don't look too far away. McCarthy spent the first 10 minutes or so in general practice until reverting to running sprints. He jumps high and has a quick reaction time. He could turn out the pick of last years' draftees, but I wouldn't expect much from him this year.

The greatest disappointment out there today is Broomhead. I had hoped he would be starting to mix it again with the main group but he was only running sprints out there today. Sier is only on a slow mend but at least because he is only a second year player, he deserves some slack.

Loving the sound of that, great review, cheers

GoWoodsmen 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:56 am

Guys.... has anyone heard or seen anything on Josh Thomas? While Keeffe has been prominent in reports so far (and seems a lock for Rd 1) I haven't heard a thing on Josh Thomas. Is he struggling? Injured? Is he training?
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:30 pm

GoWoodsmen wrote:
Guys.... has anyone heard or seen anything on Josh Thomas? While Keeffe has been prominent in reports so far (and seems a lock for Rd 1) I haven't heard a thing on Josh Thomas. Is he struggling? Injured? Is he training?

If the players had numbers on their backs I could better identify him and comment about his training form, but since he looks a bit like Taylor Adams, it's hard to pick him up every time he has the ball. All I can say is that he's out there almost every training session I've attended and has been participating in the centre drills, meaning he is training as a mid and competing for a position in the team alongside De Goey, Aish, Greenwood, Crisp and others.
GoWoodsmen 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:50 pm

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
GoWoodsmen wrote:

If the players had numbers on their backs I could better identify him and comment about his training form, but since he looks a bit like Taylor Adams, it's hard to pick him up every time he has the ball. All I can say is that he's out there almost every training session I've attended and has been participating in the centre drills, meaning he is training as a mid and competing for a position in the team alongside De Goey, Aish, Greenwood, Crisp and others.

Cheers.... Good bloody luck breaking into that group after 2 years out!

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:54 pm

Quite a few people.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: