Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Mobile phones and driving

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 8:15 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends how much you speed up, on those little overtaking bits I've gone a bit over 100 to pass erratic drivers, drivers doing 95, drivers obviously distracted, trucks with shit flying off the back, and I am a very conservative driver.

If it's obvious you have sped up to get out if harms way, the cops would let you off, but it's not easy to prove! Stui is right, sometimes the only way out is to plant your foot. On the freeway, a car comes over on you you can't go to the next lane and a car up your bum, you plant it. If something is coming into the side of you again as Stui says a split second decision to brake, turn (not a good idea, that's how you roll over) or floor it.

When I got the car before this one a girlfriend said to me "that's a cop magnet". It was deep bright blue with a spoiler, and in the first week I got pulled up for doing 133kph. But I wasn't, it was a black Monaro, luckily for me a combination of looking incredulous, shaking and telling him a long winded story about seeing the Monaro fly pass and seeing him come out with flashing lights made me happy, til he got behind me, meant he believed me (or just wanted to go get lunch!).

luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 10:30 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
luvdids wrote:
Skids wrote:

A speed restrictive device would be just plain moronoic. Speed can be used to evade an incident and imagine trying to overtake?

Skids wrote:

And who said anything about overtaking a vehicle doing the speed limit?

What sort of incident would you need speed to evade? Shocked

I've been in a minibus that was rammed and knocked on it's side by a drunk who ran a stop sign.

I saw it coming but wasn't driving so could only just hang on. If you see something coming and an accident about to happen, you practically have 3 choices.

1. Just keep driving
2. Slam on the brakes
3. Put the foot down.

There's instances when, depending on the speed you're going, 1 and 2 are going to get you creamed so the safest option is to put the foot down hard. It's a calculation you do in your head in a split second.

I've had plenty of near misses on roads & freeways and my first thought in that split second has never been to speed up. It's usually brake, or split second mirror check & lane change. I've stayed behind an erratic, clearly distracted driver on the freeway because there's no way I wanted to be beside him, even for a couple seconds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4   

Jump to: