Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Mobile phones and driving

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:52 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything drifts to the left eventually, Stui. Even you, you'll see. Wink
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:06 pm

^

hah. what's that quote about young and old people and political leanings?

I started out drifting left but had a wheel alignment. Razz Wink

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:12 pm

One morning, you'll wake up, look in the mirror and say to yourself "All property is theft".
Bruce Gonsalves Gemini

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:27 pm

It used to be awkward using the old car phones with the spiral phone cord whilst driving. Darn cord would get caught on the gear stick and steering wheel.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:30 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
One morning, you'll wake up, look in the mirror and say to yourself "All property is theft".

The morning you divest all your property and hand it over to the state for the use of all, I'll think about it. Wink

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:24 am

Skids wrote:
David wrote:
They can do this, but not an inbuilt breathalyser? Or an enforced upper speed limit tied to area restrictions? Come on, guys! If we're going to do this nanny state thing, let's do it right. Razz

I would bet that mobile phone use us a bigger contributor to road incidents than speeding or drink driving now.

A speed restrictive device would be just plain moronoic. Speed can be used to evade an incident and imagine trying to overtake?

Inbuilt breathtaking devices are mandatory for halfwits who don't get the messsge already David.

Mobile phones + driving = accident waiting to happen. I think it's a great idea. Cool

I don't get the concept that you should need to speed to overtake – if the car in front is going the speed limit, why overtake them to begin with? In any case, I think a sensible rule would set it at about 5 kilometres or so over the speed limit to allow for a bit of leeway – the main purpose would be to stop people from doing absurd speeds.

Re: breathalysers, I'm aware that interlocks exist for drink-drivers, but my preferred option would be a non-locked system for everyone. Would reduce the number of drink-drivers massively, I reckon.

luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:20 pm

stui magpie wrote:
think positive wrote:
Boy that's loaded!

Damn right it is Razz

But how often have you seen through their rear car window, women turning their head to speak to someone else in the car and consequently have the car drift to the left?

Seen plenty of men doing it too you know.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 3:25 pm

David wrote:
Skids wrote:
David wrote:
They can do this, but not an inbuilt breathalyser? Or an enforced upper speed limit tied to area restrictions? Come on, guys! If we're going to do this nanny state thing, let's do it right. Razz

I would bet that mobile phone use us a bigger contributor to road incidents than speeding or drink driving now.

A speed restrictive device would be just plain moronoic. Speed can be used to evade an incident and imagine trying to overtake?

Inbuilt breathtaking devices are mandatory for halfwits who don't get the messsge already David.

Mobile phones + driving = accident waiting to happen. I think it's a great idea. Cool

I don't get the concept that you should need to speed to overtake – if the car in front is going the speed limit, why overtake them to begin with
? In any case, I think a sensible rule would set it at about 5 kilometres or so over the speed limit to allow for a bit of leeway – the main purpose would be to stop people from doing absurd speeds.

Re: breathalysers, I'm aware that interlocks exist for drink-drivers, but my preferred option would be a non-locked system for everyone. Would reduce the number of drink-drivers massively, I reckon.

You obviously haven't had to pass a road train doing 100km/h.
If you could only do the speed limit (110km/h) you'd need a lot if straight road.

And who said anything about overtaking a vehicle doing the speed limit?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 4:10 pm

But isn't the point here that you're not supposed to go over the speed limit when overtaking? If a cop car sees you do that, or if you pass a camera, then you'll get a fine. If it's against the law, why permit it?
luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 5:04 pm

Skids wrote:

Skids wrote:

What sort of incident would you need speed to evade? Shocked
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 5:44 pm

A rampaging kangaroo, of course! Laughing
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 6:30 pm

luvdids wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
think positive wrote:
Boy that's loaded!

Damn right it is Razz

But how often have you seen through their rear car window, women turning their head to speak to someone else in the car and consequently have the car drift to the left?

Seen plenty of men doing it too you know.

That's because it's their wife/partner in the passenger seat yelling "look at me when you're talking to me" Razz Wink

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 6:36 pm

David wrote:
But isn't the point here that you're not supposed to go over the speed limit when overtaking? If a cop car sees you do that, or if you pass a camera, then you'll get a fine. If it's against the law, why permit it?

get up on country roads, 1 lane each way with the occasional overtaking lane that lasts less than 1km.

If you want to overtake a car that's doing 90 in a 100 zone, you're going to seriously struggle if you're speed limited to 100 or even 110 kmh. You just won't get past safely. I've had to hit speeds that would see me lose my licence on the spot if caught to get past convoys of rejects in the past, particularly on windy roads.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 6:43 pm

luvdids wrote:
Skids wrote:

Skids wrote:

What sort of incident would you need speed to evade? Shocked

I've been in a minibus that was rammed and knocked on it's side by a drunk who ran a stop sign.

I saw it coming but wasn't driving so could only just hang on. If you see something coming and an accident about to happen, you practically have 3 choices.

1. Just keep driving
2. Slam on the brakes
3. Put the foot down.

There's instances when, depending on the speed you're going, 1 and 2 are going to get you creamed so the safest option is to put the foot down hard. It's a calculation you do in your head in a split second.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 3:09 am

stui magpie wrote:
David wrote:

get up on country roads, 1 lane each way with the occasional overtaking lane that lasts less than 1km.

If you want to overtake a car that's doing 90 in a 100 zone, you're going to seriously struggle if you're speed limited to 100 or even 110 kmh. You just won't get past safely. I've had to hit speeds that would see me lose my licence on the spot if caught to get past convoys of rejects in the past, particularly on windy roads.

I think the cops would agree with me that you just shouldn't be overtaking in that scenario. Yeah, it's annoying, but more annoying to have a head-on collision because you were driving too fast (on the wrong side of the road, no less). I've been in a situation like that and I'm glad I didn't put my foot down as I probably would be dead now.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: