Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

New rule?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redcraze Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:02 pm
Post subject: New rule?Reply with quote

My father used to maintain that, in a situation where the final siren had gone, the margin was 5 points and one team had a free kick from 50 yards out there was nothing to prevent the defending team from forming a human pyramid in the goal square. Any comments?
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:58 pm
Post subject: Re: New rule?Reply with quote

And nothing to prevent the other team from backing into it and knocking it over....just saying.
Fatui Attata 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:23 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

But surely you'd build a Trump Wall in front of the pyramid to stop the opposition ruining it's stability??

I've often wondered about purposefully and painfully slamming the ball intentionally into the man on the mark. Numerous times. Especially when their bench is low on numbers due to more innocent injuries. Take out a few key players. You could even drill a set play from the recovery of the ball off the body of the man on the mark. Hire former players like Stephen Milne or Jim O'Dea to be the dummy man on the mark at training. Could be a fun participatory half time entertainment thing too. Robert Walls alone would draw a crowd!

burnsy17 Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:57 pm

I've always thought that when someone has a mark or free kick from 70 out, the attacking team should set up 3 or 4 blokes to 'lift' the marking player in the air like they do in rugby union.. a couple of other players stand around to block any opposition players and then the bloke with the kick puts it onto the elevated players head!

Last edited by burnsy17 on Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:57 pm

I thought there was a rule preventing the human pyramid or using the goal post to gain extra height.
Bruce Gonsalves Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:59 pm

In juniors, many decades ago, a coach of ours organised us to form a tight ring around the player bouncing the ball, whilst we picked off potential tacklers. Was never practised at training, but with a bit of thought, why not?
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:24 pm

ice hockey, mighty ducks movie
Bruce Gonsalves Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:32 pm

Mid '70's, this happened. I've never seen the mighty ducks movie.
melliot 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:29 pm

Bucks5 wrote:
I thought there was a rule preventing the human pyramid or using the goal post to gain extra height.

There is.
jayaykay 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:11 pm

Yes, true! I do recall this rule was brought into effect after the Brisbane Koalas tried it on during a game against the Dogs, late 80s I think. Not sure if it was that, or the mass of Bears supporters on the ground which put off Beasley's kick! :p

Watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLNigUF-oYk

From the Footy Almanac:
"A Free Kick shall be awarded against a Player or a Team where the field Umpire is of the opinion that a Player has lifted a Player or climbed on the shoulders of a Player from the same Team. This Free Kick shall be taken by a Player from the opposing Team where the infringement occurred or where the football is at the time of the infringement, whichever is the greater penalty against the offending Team."

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:14 pm

I'm not sure I understand the implication of that.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:16 pm

jayaykay wrote:
Yes, true! I do recall this rule was brought into effect after the Brisbane Koalas tried it on during a game against the Dogs, late 80s I think. Not sure if it was that, or the mass of Bears supporters on the ground which put off Beasley's kick! :p

Watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLNigUF-oYk

From the Footy Almanac:
"A Free Kick shall be awarded against a Player or a Team where the field Umpire is of the opinion that a Player has lifted a Player or climbed on the shoulders of a Player from the same Team. This Free Kick shall be taken by a Player from the opposing Team where the infringement occurred or where the football is at the time of the infringement, whichever is the greater penalty against the offending Team."

Taking Fun Away

What about the Crowd Jump the Fence at the End Wink

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:03 am
Post subject: Re: New rule?Reply with quote

Redcraze wrote:
My father used to maintain that, in a situation where the final siren had gone, the margin was 5 points and one team had a free kick from 50 yards out there was nothing to prevent the defending team from forming a human pyramid in the goal square. Any comments?

No. That would be your grandfather. Smile

Hello and welcome to the 21st Century, by the way.

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:29 am

There was a match at Arden Street in the late 70's when a North player had a set shot from a long way out. Ron Wearmouth climbed onto a defender's shoulders - it may have been Bill Picken but I could be wrong about that - and stopped the goal. Of course it was penailsed, but very funny at the time.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:45 am

Bruce Gonsalves wrote:
In juniors, many decades ago, a coach of ours organised us to form a tight ring around the player bouncing the ball, whilst we picked off potential tacklers. Was never practised at training, but with a bit of thought, why not?

I have heard that discussed over the years as well. I believe that it would work but would have to be used as a one off, last play in the game when you have to score. It is based on a military fighting method called the phalanx which was used to great success by the Romans.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: