Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

One Nation on the rise / WA State Election thread

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:49 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

WA election: Newspoll suggests One Nation support surging ahead of March vote

One Nation's primary vote in Western Australia has surged by 10 per cent in the latest Newspoll, bolstering its chances of claiming seats at the March state election and deciding which party will win critical electorates.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-03/wa-election-newspoll-suggests-one-nation-support-surging/8237172?pfmredir=sm

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:14 am

Remember that the experts tipped Hilary.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:15 am

Don't worry I will remember it.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:30 pm

Famous last words (Culleton, 12 January 2107) "I've still got the badge and the office ...."

Bye, bye.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:34 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Famous last words (Culleton, 12 January 2107) "I've still got the badge and the office ...."

Bye, bye.

I assume you didn't use a Delorean for your time machine, the Lambo would still be in 2nd gear at 88mph, the Roller?

Can i borrow it? I'll have it back 10 seconds after I leave. Razz

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:13 pm

The Lambo, I'm afraid, is fitted with both a breathalyser-lock and a class-lock on the ignition, Stui. Wink
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:24 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
The Lambo, I'm afraid, is fitted with both a breathalyser-lock and a class-lock on the ignition, Stui. Wink

Challenge accepted. Razz

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:46 pm

One Nation support increases to 23% in Queensland.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-11/pauline-hanson-one-nation-gains-support-in-qld-opinion-poll/8262182

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:52 pm

I'm sure the WA and QLD state Liberal parties' decision to essentially treat One Nation as a coalition member won't have hurt their legitimacy. Good work, guys.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:49 pm

Since about half of Queenslanders have anti-Muslim sentiment, around 33% of them are aggravated by indigenous Australians and about 25% of them don't like Jews, you've got to ask the question: how is One Nation leaking the racist vote so badly?
Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:11 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Since about half of Queenslanders have anti-Muslim sentiment, around 33% of them are aggravated by indigenous Australians and about 25% of them don't like Jews, you've got to ask the question: how is One Nation leaking the racist vote so badly?

Confused

Laughing Laughing

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:58 pm

Great article on the subject by Guy Rundle. Plus one for the Fassbinder reference. Very Happy

Quote:
Canberra chaos means Australia will have its own Donald Trump soon enough
Guy Rundle

Mainstream Australian politics at the moment, resembles, well, I can’t decide on the metaphor — either the middle act of The Bitter Tears of Petra Von Kant or Looney Tunes “Wabbit Season! Duck Season!” (no, I’m not going to link because you’ll just go and watch it straight away). Every day brings a new headline saying that one party and one party only is weak and discredited — but the party changes with each headline.

Labor, the party that, in or out of power, has dominated Australian politics for a century, is rejoicing over cracking a 37% primary vote — “we did it! High five!” — but only because the Coalition has suddenly crashed from a 40%-plus primary to 34%, as One Nation has surged to a stable 10% national primary.

That is obviously worse news for the Coalition because, as the name suggests, they’re not one party but two. As far as I can tell, the current polls don’t disaggregate to see which of the two parties the bulk of that 10% is coming from, and it presumably swings from seat to seat, in a fashion capable of annihilating MPs from both parties. The reactionariat is marking their rise as the new “third force” in Australian politics, “eclipsing the Greens!”, according to Graham Richardson. Well, no, they’re both on 10%. But the Greens are rock solid, have state members, local council members, and stable institutional structures, and One Nation is a party reverse-engineered from the latest version of Senate voting.

Still and all, mainstream Australian politics is in a state of slow-motion collapse. The loathing for the people on both sides is immense: for Turnbull as the guy who took a lot of people for a ride, and for Shorten as being the guy whose sole achievement appears to be that he had a bus (“an empty bus pulled up, and Bill Shorten got out … with the entire shadow cabinet following him down the steps”). Though it is collapsing slower than elsewhere, it would be collapsing faster, had not the major parties engineered the triple lock — compulsory voting and exhaustive lower-house preferences in the 1910s and ’20s, public funding of parties by received vote later on — that has protected them against split and recombination ever since.

The “triple lock” has given Australia a false sense that it has a stable political culture; in reality it has nothing more than a stable institutional system. But though the system has protected itself for decades, it only did so when there was a real right-left politics, when those two terms described opposing forces with completely different ideas about how to run the world. Once that was over, the machine reversed.

The institutional stability attracted not people who wanted to wield power to make change, but student political hacks, who had made an accurate assessment of their limited abilities, and were attracted to a caste-like system, with sinecures and oodles of gumment free money and bludge jobs on financial sector boards at the other end. A political version of Gresham’s Law — “bad money drives out good” — takes over and works in combination with the Peter Principle.* The recruits are poor, and they quickly take on roles beyond their abilities, thus encouraging even less competent people to dare to imagine that a career as a professional politician might be for them.

This is why you get what you didn’t used to see from mainstream ministries and shadow ministries: stunning incompetence, combined with an absolute lack of purpose. Ministers who can’t get through a simple interview, departments that appear to be run by nobody, a party like Labor that has now gone 21 years without redefining an idea of social democracy (save for the Rudd period, the rule-proving exception, where the parasite took over the host’s brain and began to operate its limbs like a toy).

That is why Australian politics has been weak at the centre since the departure of John Howard. Howard, Keating, Hawke, and everyone before them had had their politics formed in the Cold War (or, in Hawke’s case, at the every beginning of it — Ol’ Silver really is an antique these days), and something was at stake. They’d also been formed in an era less dominated by abstract media — their selfhoods were formed in more bounded face-to-face communities, and were thus stable and bounded in their turn.

Those that came after were born into a different era, when selfhood has to be made and remade incessantly, amid a media flux. And, well, you can see the result: Latham, Rudd, Abbott, Turnbull. These are all men making themselves up, on the go, moving forward while driving in reverse, while they regard themselves in the rear-view mirror. Gillard is the exception, in part because women — witness Theresa May and Angela Merkel and, God help us, Marine Le Pen — are genuinely far less subject to that sort of narcissism.** That sort.

Tragedy, then tragedy-as-farce, then farce-as-commedia–dell–arte-done-by-a-Warracknabeal-based-troupe-funded-by-Rural-Affairs-to-stop-kids-cutting-themselves. That’s Oz politics at the moment. Abbott’s launch last-week of a Connor Court book with the Dumb-and-Dumber title Making Australia Right — replete with crazed, resentful, shit cartoon on the cover — may as well have been done in falling-down-pants and enormous shoes. The ridiculous idea of these men — the so-called Deplorables — that they can revive populism from inside a major party, and represent themselves as the scourge of t.e.h elitez, is a joy to behold.

So why hasn’t mainstream politics been knocked for six decisively — aside from the capacity for the smooth institutional reproduction of the system? The answer is that it has a triple weakness, the hard right having now spent 20 years, off and on, in its current iteration, failing to get its own clown act together. This is due to much-discussed reasons — the lack of a real conservative movement, or of an entire subculture, headed by a Fox News type element — which could serve as an incubator*** for halfway effective leaders. Also of course, the textbook subversion of them run by Abbott (with old Cold Warrior Peter Coleman acting as consigliere), which ended with Hanson and her unnamed official in prison****. Which was, of course, the making of her once again. One Nation are far from hopeless — Hanson appears to have honed her media skills, and, if the appointment of James Ashby is any indication, failed to hone any others.

But someone is coming, woman or man, who will finally pull the Australian hard right into shape. I would say they’re two years away at most. They’ll be someone with political nous, organisational skill, sufficient rationality to take advice and hire good people — but also have a genuine outsider quality. They’ll either work with Pauline, if she can be worked with, or, if they have sufficient charisma of their own, push her aside with a “thank you for your service”. When that happens — and I think the trajectory of global economies, class and politics means that it cannot not happen — One Nation, or its successor, will streak past the Greens, gut the Nationals, and eat into the Liberals’ primary, no matter how far to the right they go. This will happen.

Or it may not. Duck Season! Wabbit Theathon!

*in large organisations, everyone rises to a level above their abilities, their level of incompetence; once there, they move up no higher, but prove impossible to remove. Gradually, like a pyramid scheme, from the top down, the entire managerial body of the organisation becomes filled with people who are incompetent at their given job.

**Hillary didn’t get the benefit of that; part of her problem was that she never put a stop to the cult of personality strategy that grew around her. She was married to the greatest political narcissist of modern times; one suspects it may have rubbed off in the Oval Office, which is, after all, what Bill Clinton was known for.

***don’t make me reference Trotsky’s observation that the British Fabian Society were like pigeon chicks too weak to break out of their own shell, ’cause I will if I have to.

****could have been worse; at least it wasn’t a death squad, and a shallow grave.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:36 pm

^ Though I do not like Rundle's politics, there is no denying that he has
an interesting mind. His diagnosis (in bold) of the managerial poverty of modern politics is very sharp, and that point about the rootlessness and unbounded nature of the self of people formed in electronic, rather than real human communities, is a fascinating one, which may go some way to explain the lack of real leaders in modern politics. I reflected that the best leader of recent times, Barack Obama, was forged in a real community before he became a media creation. One may not like Obama's politics - and they are not entirely my cup of tea - but he was an unusually serious and able man.

Mind you, it is alarming when someone with a good intellect and a career in writing writes a sentence as plug-ugly as : "This is why you get what you didn’t used to see from mainstream ministries and shadow ministries". Ugh !

Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:56 pm

Hanson to storm WA in final-week pitch

“A vote for Pauline Hanson’s One Nation is not a vote for the Liberal party,” she said. “By having us there we can keep honest and accountable government.”

She said WA’s infrastructure badly needed to be improved and Perth needed a rail line between the city and the airport, a project which is already under way.

It wasRecent polling has shown support for One Nation sitting about 10 per cent, meaning the party would get at least three MPs in the Upper House.

Labor leader Bill Shorten is also about to head to WA for the last week of the campaign.

TOPICShttps://thewest.com.au/politics/state-election-2017/hanson-to-storm-wa-in-final-week-pitch-ng-b88400150z

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:49 pm

Skids wrote:
Hanson to storm WA in final-week pitch

“A vote for Pauline Hanson’s One Nation is not a vote for the Liberal party,” she said. “By having us there we can keep honest and accountable government.”

She said WA’s infrastructure badly needed to be improved and Perth needed a rail line between the city and the airport, a project which is already under way.

It wasRecent polling has shown support for One Nation sitting about 10 per cent, meaning the party would get at least three MPs in the Upper House.

Labor leader Bill Shorten is also about to head to WA for the last week of the campaign.

TOPICShttps://thewest.com.au/politics/state-election-2017/hanson-to-storm-wa-in-final-week-pitch-ng-b88400150z

That should help Labor's chances no end. Laughing Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 7 of 17   

Jump to: