Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

One Nation on the rise / WA State Election thread

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lazza 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:35 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

swoop42 wrote:
So if burqas are allowed because of religious freedom I take it I'm allowed to wear my klan robe for sun protection? Laughing

Us Honkeys have sensitive skin.

What exact religion would that be swoop42?

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:36 pm

Try putting that in a more specific context.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:21 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Like, say, gun ownership in Australia? As between the two possible laws, I know which is the more pressing.

Gun ownership is already seriously restricted and monitored.

many weapons that were legal, were made illegal in 96.

it's already against the law in victoria to disguise your face, provided there's criminal intent http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/vic/consol_act/soa1966189/s49c.html which should be applied to masked protesters who damage property.

if they want to wear a face covering while walking down the street, whether it be a burqua or a hoodie with sunglasses and a bandana, fair enough but everyone should be made to uncover the face when entering any retail or service establishment.

HAL 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:23 pm

Let's wait and see what they do.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:21 pm

swoop42 wrote:
So if burqas are allowed because of religious freedom I take it I'm allowed to wear my klan robe for sun protection? Laughing

Us Honkeys have sensitive skin.

No law against it, but you will have to change your username on here to 'Grand Dragon Swoop'.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:42 pm

It's almost worth it for the name change.

I'll decide overnight whether it's a clan robe or a ghost costume.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:52 pm

Mugwump wrote:
There is an excellent youtube clip of Christopher Hitchens reacting scornfully to the doyenne of the British liberal party, no less, Baroness Shirley Williams, objecting to the knighthood awarded to Salman Rushdie on grounds of "offence". It is worth watching, as it is quite representative of the moral and political cowardice of much of our liberal elite. I would suggest that it disproves your theory well.

I've seen the clip with Hitchens, and it's worth watching. I've provided the clip below for those who haven't seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEVA4EAP_S0

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:02 pm

swoop42 wrote:
It's almost worth it for the name change.

I'll decide overnight whether it's a clan robe or a ghost costume.

Laughing

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:00 pm

Getting back to the OP, here's a solid analysis of One Nation's chances in WA:

https://www.crikey.com.au/2017/01/27/what-seats-could-one-nation-win-in-western-australia/

Quote:
Poll Bludger: what seats could One Nation win in Western Australia?
William Bowe

Western Australias election campaign doesnt officially begin until the middle of next week, but the practical effect of the March 11 fixed date is that both sides have been visibly in campaign mode since the veil of the silly season began to lift.

Stark differences on urban transport policy have emerged as the most substantive issue of the phony campaign, but Premier Colin Barnett and Labor leader Mark McGowan have also been keeping the media mill fed with announceables on everything from methamphetamines to shark nets.

But for many voters, the clearest signal that things are cranking up a notch may have been provided by Pauline Hanson, whose visits to suburban shopping malls last weekend elicited what reporters inevitably described as a rock star reception.

Double-digit opinion poll ratings had already made it clear that Hansons re-emergence had turned the campaign on its head, even before her practical demonstration of how readily she can transform the media environment simply by showing up.

However, it remains extremely difficult to tell how much luck she will have in translating her electoral support into seats in parliament.

One Nations successes at its previous high-water mark in 2001 were limited to the upper house, in which it won seats in each of the three multi-member regions that cover the state beyond the limits of the metropolitan area.

Given that recent opinion polls show the party exceeding its statewide vote in 2001, and the tendency for polling to underestimate it, the party should at least be able to match that performance this time around.

Even on the most pessimistic of scenarios, One Nation would seem to stand a strong chance of securing the balance of power in a chamber that is presently controlled by the Liberals and the Nationals.

Significant though such a result would be for the legislative program of whoever forms government, the main game will always be the lower house, and the potential for the party to emerge as kingmaker in a hung parliament.

Unless you count Pauline Hansons win in Oxley at the 1996 federal election, when she appeared on the ballot paper as the Liberal candidate but was disendorsed by the party before election day, One Nation has only ever won lower house seats in Queensland state elections.

It didnt come particularly close to doing so in Western Australia in 2001, when its best result was a 9.3% losing margin against the Liberals in the since-abolished rural seat of Greenough in the states mid west region.

This time around though, the party appears likely to outperform its 9.6% statewide vote at that election, and in some seats could stand to benefit from preference deals with the Liberals and Nationals.

Much of the chatter surrounding the partys prospects has focused on Nationals leader Brendon Grylls seat of Pilbara, a former Labor seat that Grylls seized in 2013 as part of a dazzlingly successful expansion strategy, which involved him abandoning his existing safe seat in the states wheatbelt region.

Polling circulated late last year by the Chamber of Minerals and Energy which has been infuriated by Grylls proposal for a twenty-fold increase in the royalty rate paid by BHP Billiton and Rio Tinto suggests his support has halved since the 2013 election, leaving him endangered on a number of fronts.

While the poll numbers suggest his biggest threat is from the Liberals, it is notable that Senate voting patterns at last years federal election suggest Pilbara to be One Nations strongest seat in the state.

However, there are a number of reason to treat the results with caution. The sample for the poll was only 300, and those with an ear to the ground locally have viewed it with scepticism, given Grylls personal popularity and the political success of the governments Nationals-mandated Royalties for Regions program.

A better bet may be the seat of Kalgoorlie, which ranked second behind Pilbara in terms of the One Nation Senate vote.

Like Pilbara, Kalgoorlie was won by the Nationals for the first time in 2013, having variously been held in recent times by Labor, Liberal and an independent.

One Nations task will be made easier by the retirement of sitting member Wendy Duncan, and it may also stand to benefit from the towns simmering racial tensions.

Alternatively, the party may find it easier to poach seats from Labor, given the potential for preference deals with the Liberals and Nationals something that is certainly not in prospect with Labor.

The strongest Labor-held seat for One Nation in terms of last years Senate vote was Collie-Preston, which Labor narrowly retained at the last two elections thanks to the local popularity of its sitting member, Mick Murray.

A redistribution has made the seat marginally Liberal, but if the swing against the government is on in earnest, One Nation could potentially pull ahead of them and ride over Labor on preferences.

Such a result would carry a lot of resonance, given that the electorates main population centre is Collie a declining coal and electricity town that has a lot in common with the areas of the American mid west that swung decisively behind Donald Trump in November.

HAL 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:04 pm

Take a deep breath, and slowly exhale while thinking about the position of your body.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:24 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
Like, say, gun ownership in Australia? As between the two possible laws, I know which is the more pressing.

Gun ownership is already seriously restricted and monitored.

many weapons that were legal, were made illegal in 96.

it's already against the law in victoria to disguise your face, provided there's criminal intent http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/vic/consol_act/soa1966189/s49c.html which should be applied to masked protesters who damage property.

if they want to wear a face covering while walking down the street, whether it be a burqua or a hoodie with sunglasses and a bandana, fair enough but everyone should be made to uncover the face when entering any retail or service establishment.

Yep I agree, you have to take a helmet off, and can you imagine walking into a bank in a balaclava!

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:31 pm

Interesting.

I know many people who will be voting One Nation.

Can't wait to watch this one unfold. Barnett is an absolute muppet and McGowan isnt any improvement. People have had enough of these 2.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:21 pm

Certainly don't disagree with you on Barnett a real piece of work and by far my least favourite state premier since Can Do Campbell hung up the knuckledusters.
Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:08 am

Pauline Hanson's One Nation party is on the rise but who's voting for her and why?

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-29/meet-pauline-hansons-queensland-supporters/8220198

Deputy Prime Minister Barnaby Joyce said One Nation's plan was ambitious.

"You've actually got to run the country, it's not just, you know, a soap box to say the issue of the day. You've actually got to run a department, balance the books," he said

Oh yeah Barnaby.... you mob have been doing a great job with that Laughing Laughing

Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:51 pm

https://thewest.com.au/news/wa/liberals-behind-in-joondalup-ng-b88370150z

The Liberal Party would be annihilated in a crucial northern suburbs seat, with Labor internal polling showing an almost 20 per cent swing against the sitting MP, Jan Norberger.

On primary votes, Labor is ahead on 35.2 per cent, with the Liberals on 32.6 per cent and the Greens on 10.2 per cent.
Despite Pauline Hanson sacking her Joondalup candidate Brian Brightman last week, One Nation polled a primary vote of 13.7 per cent. ...

13.7%.... without a candidate Shocked She gets somebody decent to contest and it will be very interesting (my electorate).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 6 of 17   

Jump to: