Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

One Nation on the rise / WA State Election thread

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:44 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
think positive wrote:
David wrote:
^ If they do get two or more upper house seats (and they seem to be looking better as the count goes on – 14% primary vote in Mining & Pastoral!), that's not such a bad result for them. Even with the Greens' help, Labor doesn't look like getting a legislative council majority at the moment – which will mean relying on One Nation or the Shooters and Fishers alternative environmentalists (Wink) to pass legislation.

You can follow the vote tallies and distribution as they get updated here:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/elections/wa-election-2017/results/legislative-council/

I'm used to your weird pics now, but what on earth is that quote below the line!

Alice in Wonderland – the same place One Nation voters are from. Wink

So they weren't derived from the Boston Tea Party after all. It was the Mad Hatters Tea party. Now it makes sense. Very Happy

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:45 pm

Why now? To me too.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:48 pm

HAL wrote:
...To me too.

Tomato.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:05 pm

watt price tully wrote:
Morrigu wrote:
David wrote:
"Alternative environmental party". Laughing

".....Of course they are David just as the nippons are slaughtering whales for scientific research......"

You mean the Japanese aren't slaughtering whales for scientific research Shocked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9_JkJQ7pf0
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:56 am

WA Labor is now expected to secure 41 of the 59 Lower House seats. One Nation is set to secure 0.

Some electoral reform in the Upper House is on the cards. With a bit of luck, they'll abolish electoral provinces and just establish proportional representation across the State as a whole. That's not a bad way of excluding the gibbering idiots who get elected with a "quota" of votes in some ratbag area, even though they have a trivial and irrelevant constituency on a statewide basis. On current voting results, eg, it appears that the Nats will get twice as many Council members as PHONy, despite getting a bit more than half of PHONy's vote. Meanwhile, PHONy will probably only have the same number of Councillors as the Shooting and Fishing folk - but with nearly 4 times their vote.

On this approach, the ALP and the Greens would still not (quite) have a majority, so the ALP still need to gain support from elsewhere to get legislation through the Upper House. It would, however, only need to engage the vote of one group of nutters (or the Libs) on each issue.
partypie 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:57 am

With 48 candidates on the upper house ballot sheet, voting below the line meant the nut job parties started attracting votes at about 20. Sure to get a preference at some stage. None of the parties how to vote cards specified how their preferences would flow.
Royalties for Regions has been great for the rural areas, for example professional fishermen and tour boat operators now have a marina where I live, and as a result the industry is developing and more people are getting jobs. There's talk of it being a federal scheme.
My local seat has been through a number of boundary changes and what was once a Liberal stronghold now held by the Nats, with the Labor candidate coming in second.
After the shabby treatment of the Nationals by the Liberals, I would not be surprised if the Nate vote with labor in the upper house when it suits them, which would negate the necessity of dealing with ONP and SFF.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:16 am

partypie wrote:
With 48 candidates on the upper house ballot sheet, voting below the line meant the nut job parties started attracting votes at about 20. Sure to get a preference at some stage. None of the parties how to vote cards specified how their preferences would flow.
Royalties for Regions has been great for the rural areas, for example professional fishermen and tour boat operators now have a marina where I live, and as a result the industry is developing and more people are getting jobs. There's talk of it being a federal scheme.
My local seat has been through a number of boundary changes and what was once a Liberal stronghold now held by the Nats, with the Labor candidate coming in second.
After the shabby treatment of the Nationals by the Liberals, I would not be surprised if the Nate vote with labor in the upper house when it suits them, which would negate the necessity of dealing with ONP and SFF.

Hmmm ... not according to the ONP with their quota gradually increasing.

WA ELECTION UPDATE

What the Mainstream media haven't told you.

Counting in the Upper House has reached 65% and votes to Pauline Hanson's One Nation are accelerating as rural booths are being added.

We now have the third highest vote count behind the ALP and Libs, passing the Greens and nearly doubling the Nationals vote.
The media are reporting this as a 'flop'!

We look certain to win two seats and we are chasing down the Shooters, Fishers & Farmers for a possible third.

Good news is that numbers at the moment show that right of centre parties will hold the balance of power and help stop a Labor government ruining another State.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:52 pm

Skids wrote:
we are chasing down the Shooters, Fishers & Farmers for a possible third.

The upper house seat they're referring to is Agricultural, where they did indeed score a relatively high first preference vote but are still more than 3000 votes shy of the Shooters and Fishers after distribution:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/elections/wa-election-2017/results/agri/

Given that only around 100,000 formal votes in total were cast in that district, that's a pretty sizeable difference to overcome – it seems very unlikely that they'll make up that gap. Things could still change, of course, but if they're counting on more rural stations coming in, I don't see how that really favours them over the Shooters.

While I agree that One Nation have done reasonably well in the upper house – probably around 8 or 9% overall by my estimate – the fact remains that they'll probably only have the two upper house seats, and that they really bombed in the lower house (getting only about half the Greens' tally overall, for instance).

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:11 pm

^^^^ I don't understand why you'd bother responding - it's just a party political broadcast. We all have our own views but it sometimes looks like some of these posts are just direct dissemination of party information.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:41 pm

They're certainly doing their best to follow the Putin/Trump model of putting their propaganda out as a viable alternative to actual journalism: i.e. "here's what the mainstream media won't tell you". It's a move that's both strategically clever and absolutely shameless: in the past, inconvenient facts could present a political problem; now, they can just be waved away as "fake news". The question, I guess, is whether countering that propaganda is a) necessary or b) only granting it further legitimacy.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:32 pm

^^^ Don't play in their sandpit. The really interesting question for PHONy is how there was a 16% swing against the Libs in the lower house and they picked up less than 1 in three of those votes, with about two of every three going to the ALP. The combined Libs/Nats/PHONy vote in the lower house is under 41% at this election, so it looks to sane people who can count like the people who voted for PHONy are just rusted on conservatives who bled from the Libs/Nats. Thus, PHONy are the 5th party by votes in the lower house, after the ALP, the Libs, the Greens and the Nats (in that order). In the upper house, it looks like the Nats' primary vote has completely collapsed (under 4.5% of the vote statewide) - in fact, if you look at the combined Libs/Nats/PHONy vote in the upper house, it is only about 40%.

So, if PHONy has had any less failure in the upper house than in the lower house, it's only been by ripping seats from the Libs and Nats. The Libs and Nats between them lost 7 (net) upper house seats at this election - 4 of those went to the ALP and the rest, unsurprisingly, have been split between minor conservative parties (likely 2 to PHONy and 1 to the Liberal Democrats).

Picking up seats in the Council is for spoilers, not rulers. Theirs is the politics of whining about other parties' decisions.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:22 am

The wind, it appears, is being taken out of the sails of despicable racists in many places:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/mar/16/europes-governments-signal-relief-as-dutch-election-defeats-far-right
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:53 am

It is probably time for the ALP to try to fix the unfair voting arrangements in this State - if I were a resident of Perth, I would be very troubled that an upper house vote in each of the three "metropolitan" electorates is worth a tiny fraction of the value of a vote in "Mining and Pastoral" region. So, there are about 45,000 votes counted in Mining and Pastoral thus far, compared to almost 320,000 votes counted in Southern Metropolitan. A proper proportional representation system would see the 3 "metropolitan" electorates (about 1,000,000 voters) elect the vast majority of the upper house rather than the present position, where they elect half.

To put this in precise context, the total PHONy vote in Southern Metropolitan (a little over 21,000) is 3 and a half times the total PHONy vote in Mining and Pastoral (6,000), yet the Mining and Pastoral vote will return one PHONy member and the Southern Metropolitan vote will return none.

And, no, this isn't a party-political broadcast - it appears that Mining and Pastoral will return 3 ALP members to the upper house, just like Southern Metropolitan will. It just strikes me from this distance as a ridiculously anti-democratic imbalance.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:20 am

Skids wrote:
partypie wrote:

Hmmm ... not according to the ONP with their quota gradually increasing.

WA ELECTION UPDATE

What the Mainstream media haven't told you.

Counting in the Upper House has reached 65% and votes to Pauline Hanson's One Nation are accelerating as rural booths are being added.

We now have the third highest vote count behind the ALP and Libs, passing the Greens and nearly doubling the Nationals vote.
The media are reporting this as a 'flop'!

We look certain to win two seats and we are chasing down the Shooters, Fishers & Farmers for a possible third.

Good news is that numbers at the moment show that right of centre parties will hold the balance of power and help stop a Labor government ruining another State.

In more non-mainstream media news One Notion did brilliantly well, they won the lower house in a landslide & have control of the upper house. Premier Hanson said this was a vote for the true blue believer, for dental caries and is a great leap forward for preventable communicable diseases to make a comeback.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:48 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
It is probably time for the ALP to try to fix the unfair voting arrangements in this State - if I were a resident of Perth, I would be very troubled that an upper house vote in each of the three "metropolitan" electorates is worth a tiny fraction of the value of a vote in "Mining and Pastoral" region. So, there are about 45,000 votes counted in Mining and Pastoral thus far, compared to almost 320,000 votes counted in Southern Metropolitan. A proper proportional representation system would see the 3 "metropolitan" electorates (about 1,000,000 voters) elect the vast majority of the upper house rather than the present position, where they elect half.

To put this in precise context, the total PHONy vote in Southern Metropolitan (a little over 21,000) is 3 and a half times the total PHONy vote in Mining and Pastoral (6,000), yet the Mining and Pastoral vote will return one PHONy member and the Southern Metropolitan vote will return none.

And, no, this isn't a party-political broadcast - it appears that Mining and Pastoral will return 3 ALP members to the upper house, just like Southern Metropolitan will. It just strikes me from this distance as a ridiculously anti-democratic imbalance.

Interestingly, Mining and Pastoral is huge in terms of geography: 2.28 million kilometres squared, or 86% of WA's entire land mass. And yet, as you say, it only holds 6% of the state's population. Goes to show how sparse much of Western Australia is!

Whatever the rights and wrongs of giving rural citizens such an electoral advantage over city dwellers, it's important to keep in mind that this situation is replicated at a federal level: New South Wales, after all, has 14 times the population of Tasmania but elects the same number of senators. While you hear grumblings from the big states over this from time to time, I haven't seen any serious attempt to rectify it.

Returning to Western Australia, I very much doubt that the new government will try to do anything about this, given that they require crossbenchers to pass legislation and would be unlikely to want to piss them off. They tried something like this a decade ago, apparently, and on that occasion the Greens put the kibosh on it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 15 of 17   

Jump to: