Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Training report 11th January-

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cityslick1 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:13 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lad, great work as usual.

Re ^^^ we have to have 4 list changes min. at year end, with no obvious choices atm.

Hate to write pessimistic stuff at this stage of the year, but Blair, Goldy, Greenwood and even Oxley may be in the gun at this stage.. but players like Sier and Kirby would need to show signs to avoid being cut and potentially rookied.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:14 am

Do you often use a computer there?
Harrysz 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:45 am

Lad, what about Chris Mayne?
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:50 am

Lad very interested in your views on Cox and his improved ruck work and tap work.
Could he possibly play as the deep FF and back up ruck with Moore using his athletism to play CHF ?
The tap work is great if he can continue to hone the skill. Looking at the way we recruited it's quite obvious we are going to play a running game so his work to give our fleet of mids first use of the ball will be important.
If Cox improvement is as stated (not doubting you Lad) he may be pushing White from team
E 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:08 am

qldmagpie67 wrote:
Lad very interested in your views on Cox and his improved ruck work and tap work.
Could he possibly play as the deep FF and back up ruck with Moore using his athletism to play CHF ?
The tap work is great if he can continue to hone the skill. Looking at the way we recruited it's quite obvious we are going to play a running game so his work to give our fleet of mids first use of the ball will be important.
If Cox improvement is as stated (not doubting you Lad) he may be pushing White from team

agree that there is one spot for the Leigh Brown role and it would appear that its between Cox and White. I personally think Cox is a back-up to both White and Grundy in the event of injury or form drop (although there might be some games where he is preferred to White due to a strong ruck division of the opponent or where there is no obvious defensive match up for the giant man.

I guess if Moore gets injured there is also a chance you go with both White and Cox, but that is a scary proposition for us given how inadequate both of them are as KPP. No team will fear this combo!

Surround these 2 guys with Hoskin-Elliot, Mayne, Elliot and the Faz!

warburton lad 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:26 am

Good morning Mr harry sz. In terms of Mayne, he trained with much energy and enthusiasm. Importantly, he rarely missed with set shots on goal. There was not much tackling drills, so hard to gauge how he will impact in that area.

In terms of Cox versus Moore versus White, I'm no selector, but I feel he must play most weeks. If Moore is the leading forward, Cox could lurk around the square for the hacked kick forward. Ruckwise, he is vastly superior to White and has a well-developed sense of where his midfielders are.

There are many intangibles in the game, but one thing is clear, whether White or Cox is preferred, it won't be the Leigh Brown role they play. Each offer skill sets which are quite different to those offered by Leroy.

As stated, my football knowledge is limited; I will leave the selection up to those who best know the game.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:28 am

cityslick1 wrote:
Thanks Lad, great work as usual.

Re ^^^ we have to have 4 list changes min. at year end, with no obvious choices atm.

Hate to write pessimistic stuff at this stage of the year, but Blair, Goldy, Greenwood and even Oxley may be in the gun at this stage.. but players like Sier and Kirby would need to show signs to avoid being cut and potentially rookied.

It's actually only a minimum of 3 senior list changes.

Unless I'm mistaken, players taken through the ND get a minimum 2 years which is why some players drop to the rookie draft as rookies only get 1 year (as a rule). Therefore Kirby will be under no pressure.

Agree Blair and the Sack will be under pressure to retain their spots in 2018. If they were to depart you only need 1 player (and it'd be most unlikely that there wouldn't be at least 1) to request a trade and you've met your minimum of 3.

Thomas will be the one under pressure to perform as we already have great depth in his area. Unless he can re-establish himself he'd likely go before Sier. Keeffe due to his height will get greater latitude. The remainder of the team would be under pressure to perform, Sier no more or less so but as a nominated project and a bottom ager he'll get time.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:07 am

LOL.

Only on Nick's could we discuss possible season end delistings long before the season has even started.

simon tonna 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:38 am

great read WL.

I have a feeling Kayle Kirby will be watched with more interest than most.

warburton lad 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:49 am

simon tonna wrote:
great read WL.

Good morning sir. I watched Kayle Kirby very closely during training- very easy to be mistaken by his girth. This is a guy who loves nothing better than disposing of the ball as best he can- he was clearly annoyed if he disposed of the ball poorly, by either hand or foot.

There is an energy about him that will excite his teammates. He is a big lad, but, if he puts in the work, he will be a sight to behold. He has what some call, the X -Factor.

Floreat Pica

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:13 pm

warburton lad wrote:
simon tonna wrote:
great read WL.

Good morning sir. I watched Kayle Kirby very closely during training- very easy to be mistaken by his girth. This is a guy who loves nothing better than disposing of the ball as best he can- he was clearly annoyed if he disposed of the ball poorly, by either hand or foot.

There is an energy about him that will excite his teammates. He is a big lad, but, if he puts in the work, he will be a sight to behold. He has what some call, the X -Factor.

Floreat Pica

Stop it Lad. Stop it now. You're getting me way too excited, and at my age, I've got to keep my blood pressure in check.

I was wishing we could somehow draft this kid after I read about him kicking 5 goals on debut for Richmond's VFL team in the middle of last year, and discovered he was a Collingwood supporter. I assumed he'd go to the Tigers, so was absolutely rapt when we drafted him. You say he has X-factor, well X-factor is exactly what we need. Get him fit then let him loose on our forward line at the MCG.
Mossi Leo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:20 pm

Kayle Kirby, there is something about him, its all written over his face, he's just "likable". Now if you factor in the X! well one can't help but get excited! Names like Krackour, (Neon")Davis, Daics, and their Images just flash through your mind. So just like RudeBoy, lets get him fit, and let him loose on the MCG ....
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:47 pm

warburton lad wrote:
Good morning Mr harry sz. In terms of Mayne, he trained with much energy and enthusiasm. Importantly, he rarely missed with set shots on goal. There was not much tackling drills, so hard to gauge how he will impact in that area.

In terms of Cox versus Moore versus White, I'm no selector, but I feel he must play most weeks. If Moore is the leading forward, Cox could lurk around the square for the hacked kick forward. Ruckwise, he is vastly superior to White and has a well-developed sense of where his midfielders are.

There are many intangibles in the game, but one thing is clear, whether White or Cox is preferred, it won't be the Leigh Brown role they play. Each offer skill sets which are quite different to those offered by Leroy.

As stated, my football knowledge is limited; I will leave the selection up to those who best know the game.

You have a very good knowledge and perceptive observation.

My opinion is that Cox is best placed 20-30 out from goal and let Moore use his athletic ability to roam around CHF. We don't want him being triple teamed and physically mauled like Cloke was if we play him deep forward, he's a young colt. Give him his head and let him run.

Cox deep, (no pun intended) will either mark or the ball will come to ground where we have a number of options to be seagulls.

Stevo75 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:43 pm

Couldn't agree more Stui. Let Moore use his best asset which is speed and be the link up forward we've missed so badly. Mayne will also help here. Cox in the goal square with Elliott, Fasolo, Kirby and the resting mids at his feet is going to give every defence nightmares. Some x factor is definitely what's needed which is why Kirby needs to be given a run. Our best forward line is very dangerous and puts pressure on opposition backmen and will make them second guess zoning off to be second and third man up.
Lets just hope our midfield can win their fair share of the ball and give the forwards every chance to hit the score board.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:36 am

The Leigh Brown role is dead in my opinion. The forward line operated so much better in the second half of last season when White played up the field and we only played the one tall leading forward (Moore or Cloke). With the recruitment of Mayne and WHE, the intention I think is to load up the forward line with mediums and shorts to support Moore. With this configuration I honestly can't see Cox winning a position in the forward line. If he plays it will be in the ruck to relieve Grundy. Also I realise that opinion is still divided about White, but I see White as integral to the structure of the team now and can't see Cox replacing him, unless White loses form (as he often has in the past).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6   

Jump to: