Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

James Hird rushed to hospital (let's be tactful, people)

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:09 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I've become rather grim in as I get older, in regards to supporting Collingwood and the whole us Vs them thing.

But I cant help but think that what if this story was about, say, Heritier Lumumba? Or what about Adam Goodes?

Would there be the same support thrown behind them? Would there be thousands of Essendon supporters posting about the media and what not?

Or would there be thousands of people still getting stuck into them?

Same goes for if it was Ablett Snr or even Nathan Buckley. Would there be this overwhelming sympathy?

Kwah-LeBaire 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:38 am
Post subject: Re: James Hird rushed to hospital (let's be tactful, people)Reply with quote

The line which stays with me was uttered at the very start of the public drama which threatened to derail football for several years:

"I take full responsibility." ~James Hird

In the years that followed it seemed that any number of people went under the bus, but the man who took full responsibility didn't take any responsibility at all, despite being the man in charge of the entire hullabaloo from the outset.

Somewhere in the cosmos, the principle of sowing and reaping keeps vigil. First unsanctioned drugs for the players, now unhealthy drugs for the coach?
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:22 am

1. The kids should come first in his thinking, not James first, second and third as it still seems to be. I've been in his place and it was thinking about the responsibility to my children [I didn't want another man in my lifetime role for them] and THEIR mental futures that helped me slowly climb out of the pit. I'm sure many on here know what I'm talking about, having been through similar and much worse situations than me.

2. Dank was an employee. Never forget that. He could have been sacked at any time. The players lied, deceived and were party to offsite injections. Why no lawsuits other than settlements? They know what they were injected with but will never tell. Hunter tried to take advantage of this but lost his case.

3. Taking yourself out may stop you living the consequences of your actions but ensures that your family are in pain for much, much longer. But the narcissist cares not for others much beyond the self. Medication and getting help is the path he needs to take. You can't erase the past but you can paint a new picture in the future. Own it James, and carry it. You can turn your life around.

Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:17 pm

^well said Cam....again
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:06 pm

cityslick1 wrote:
Wow... lot of hate on here towards a guy who almost died two days ago, and who's life, relationships and aspirations look shot.

Don't we love to kick someone when they're down.

He's a multi millionaire living in a Toorak mansion.

He's hardly on struggle street.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:00 am

Presti35 wrote:
I know I've become rather grim in as I get older, in regards to supporting Collingwood and the whole us Vs them thing.

But I cant help but think that what if this story was about, say, Heritier Lumumba? Or what about Adam Goodes?

Would there be the same support thrown behind them? Would there be thousands of Essendon supporters posting about the media and what not?

Or would there be thousands of people still getting stuck into them?

Same goes for if it was Ablett Snr or even Nathan Buckley. Would there be this overwhelming sympathy?

Just wanted to say that its just terrible what has happened in that he felt that it had to be like this.

I really feel for those around him.

luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:29 pm

Deja Vu wrote:
Don't know how to feel about this. Obviously it's not a good situation and I hope he's OK for his and his family's sake.

But I can already see this playing out as a tragedy for which everyone else is to blame. The AFL, the media, Demetriou etc. Not saying Hird will play that card himself, but others in his "camp" will.

Hopefully this is the beginning of his personal recovery and he can repair some of those friendships

You have psychic powers! (although you forgot to include the Gillard government Shocked Laughing)

http://wwos.nine.com.au/2017/01/10/08/54/hird-fine-after-hospitalisation-father

James Hird's Dad wrote:
"A 'conspiracy' is probably the wrong word in a legal sense, but in the general public's eye, I'd say a conspiracy between the Gillard government, the AFL and elements of the Essendon board, plus the Australian Anti-Doping Authority to get a result for something to get everyone out of a hole.

"The Gillard government had got itself into a hole ... overblew that crime commission report enormously and they needed something and they did that for political reasons.

"Both his employers were gunning for him but there was nothing specific he had ever done and there still isn't."

Last edited by luvdids on Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Prometheus Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:17 pm

I have become so cynical about the mainstream media, the likes of Hird and the whole Public relations BS that we are fed that it crossed my mind that Hird may have "accidentally overdosed" so as to garner sympathy from the general public etc.

It sure beats having to face the music and actually take responsibility for ones f*ckups.
Redlight 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:44 pm

I think that the kindest interpretation is that Hird didn’t deliberately intend to cheat, but, having given the broadest of terms to his underlings - ‘don’t cheat’ and ’don’t poison them’, left it to those appointed flunkies, Dank and ‘The Weapon’ to do whatever they wanted.

There are problems with the whole ‘he was simply too trusting’ presentation though.

At the very least Hird was criminally stupid and gullible. He blindly accepted the snake-oil presented to him by Dank, even when well qualified and proven people like the club Doctor (you know, an actually qualified medical professional) and the dietician objected on scientific grounds. Reid was sidelined by Hird as ‘past it’ and when…

Quote:
“Benita Lalor doubted whether the substance was effective and cautioned that it might even cause muscle damage.

An obviously frustrated Hird emailed a colleague: “This is what we are dealing with.”

Oh my.

In the end stupidity was his downfall. I’d have more sympathy for him if he had the self-awareness to admit that central flaw.

Hird, and his supporters, want to pass the blame to Dank as a rogue, but It’s not Dank’s fault that Hird trusted him. Dank is a natural scumbag doing what natural scumbags do. Hird was the caretaker of a group of young men, their mentor, protector and leader. When presented with actual evidence he chose to ignore it in favour of a bunch of pseudo-scientific bulltish from a very suspect source and this is the result.

Hird’s current predicament is of his own making. It's not down to any conspiracy, just him mourning the loss of his long-held prestige and the exalted status as a ‘legend’.

Sad, but welcome back to the world the rest of us live in Jim.

I hope he recovers well from this incident for the sake of his family, and goes on to develop the critical thinking skills he’ll need to understand what happened, why it happened, and why it was largely his fault. If he can’t do that he may never be able to move on.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/essendon/essendon-drugs-saga-how-stephen-dank-ran-the-controversial-supplement-program/news-story/ea77b17dfe9d7f67d8d0cac79f4f9aa5
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:50 am

5 words to recovery:

I did it, I'm sorry.

Lazza 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:24 am

think positive wrote:
5 words to recovery:

I did it, I'm sorry.

Spot on TP.

SO bloody easy but even Hird's father is missing this point. It is simply called taking full responsibility for your own actions but it takes balls sometimes to do it. Maybe this is the problem....... Rolling Eyes

Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:41 pm

Redlight wrote:
I think that the kindest interpretation is that Hird didn’t deliberately intend to cheat, but, having given the broadest of terms to his underlings - ‘don’t cheat’ and ’don’t poison them’, left it to those appointed flunkies, Dank and ‘The Weapon’ to do whatever they wanted.

There are problems with the whole ‘he was simply too trusting’ presentation though.

At the very least Hird was criminally stupid and gullible. He blindly accepted the snake-oil presented to him by Dank, even when well qualified and proven people like the club Doctor (you know, an actually qualified medical professional) and the dietician objected on scientific grounds. Reid was sidelined by Hird as ‘past it’ and when…

Quote:
“Benita Lalor doubted whether the substance was effective and cautioned that it might even cause muscle damage.

An obviously frustrated Hird emailed a colleague: “This is what we are dealing with.”

Oh my.

In the end stupidity was his downfall. I’d have more sympathy for him if he had the self-awareness to admit that central flaw.

Hird, and his supporters, want to pass the blame to Dank as a rogue, but It’s not Dank’s fault that Hird trusted him. Dank is a natural scumbag doing what natural scumbags do. Hird was the caretaker of a group of young men, their mentor, protector and leader. When presented with actual evidence he chose to ignore it in favour of a bunch of pseudo-scientific bulltish from a very suspect source and this is the result.

Hird’s current predicament is of his own making. It's not down to any conspiracy, just him mourning the loss of his long-held prestige and the exalted status as a ‘legend’.

Sad, but welcome back to the world the rest of us live in Jim.

I hope he recovers well from this incident for the sake of his family, and goes on to develop the critical thinking skills he’ll need to understand what happened, why it happened, and why it was largely his fault. If he can’t do that he may never be able to move on.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/essendon/essendon-drugs-saga-how-stephen-dank-ran-the-controversial-supplement-program/news-story/ea77b17dfe9d7f67d8d0cac79f4f9aa5

Again, well said

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:15 am

Great post from Redlight It's become irritating seeing many people engage in the revisionism of Hird's role in the supplements saga.

I feel sympathetic to his current health troubles, but this doesn't absolve him of responsibility and blame for what happened at Essendon all those years ago.

Woods Of Ypres 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:06 am

Wonderful Article from Patrick Smith today

James Hird has plotted his own tragic course

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/opinion/patrick-smith/james-hird-has-plotted-his-own-tragic-course/news-story/52b8eee1cdb4885b25381990e78b7283
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:31 pm

Wow, that's a bloody brave article, well done
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: