Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Climate change

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:33 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
^

Smoking doesn't "cause" lung cancer, genes cause cancer. Smoking may be a contributing factor in some cases.

hence the rest of your case falls apart. What is considered true because of repetition, isn't necessarily true.

The gold standard for accepted evidence in medical science and practice is RCTs ( randomised controlled trials) to my knowledge there have never been RCTs to actually prove without doubt that smoking is the sole cause of lung cancer or cancer from secondary smoke for that matter causes cancer.

As you say it has been identified as a contributing factor due to classification of some substances in cigarettes as carcinogenics. Just like those identified in burnt toast!

If I had a dollar for every person I have nursed over 40 years that has ended up RIP from lung cancer that never smoked man I could be living the high life!!

Mind you if I had a dollar for every " fit" trim taut and terrific person that ended up RIP from jogging etc I could be living the high life!

Science explains much but not all - when your number is up your number is up - end of!

The problem with climate change science is that if they are right and we do nothing it condemns the planet ( not just stupid humans but all life- that having been said the critters will bounce back without our destructive presence) )not just the odd individual and if they are wrong well good but how can we know for sure - we can't but maybe like the plethora of " health warnings" we should err on the side of caution just in case!

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:52 pm

Mugwump wrote:
I'm prepared to agree with anyone who can change the heading to say "furphy". It is giving me a headache... can you change it David ?

It was annoying me too, but I was just too lazy to change it. Fixed. Mr. Green

Perhaps it's worth noting that there are more significant causal factors and less significant causal factors. So while leaving the house is indeed a causal factor in, say, getting run over by a car five streets down, few would consider it an in any way significant factor (and besides, leaving the house is such a mundane and necessary thing to do that nobody would ever think to postulate such a link when there are such factors as poor street signage, jaywalking or distracted driving to consider our unfortunate protagonist choosing to leave the house is clearly not the problem here). Smoking, on the other hand, is an act that quite clearly carries long-term health risks, one of which is a greater risk of dying of lung cancer.

As for being at home and dying at home, that would generally be correlative, I presume.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:10 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Yet it is the public who believe whichever set of climate scientists they choose

Wish that it were so!

Climate scientists differ on detail constantly, which is exactly as it should be - that's how science works, and if you don't believe that science works, why are you using a computer? But near enough as makes no difference to all climate scientists are on the same page when it comes to the fundamentals.

Science is not a matter of "believing". Facts don't have opinions. If you are too busy/ignorant/stupid/untrained to understand the facts for yourself, hire an expert or, better yet, avail yourself of the vast amount of freely available work and expertise science has provided.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:29 am

Hmmmm...

Weather 2016: Perths coldest year in a decade

IF you thought last winter was one of the coldest in recent memory and the start of summer was not warm enough to thaw you out, you were probably not alone.

Last year, Perth recorded its coolest 12 months in more than a decade and its coldest winter in more than 20 years.

The Weather Bureaus annual climate report reveals Perths maximum temperatures were down and rainfall slightly below average.
(and the Perth average is very misleading as they moved the gauge a few years back) Bickley, which is closer to where our dams are, recorded a healthy 1085.4mm of rain (Perth 715mm)

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:50 am

David wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
I'm prepared to agree with anyone who can change the heading to say "furphy". It is giving me a headache... can you change it David ?

It was annoying me too, but I was just too lazy to change it. Fixed. Mr. Green

Perhaps it's worth noting that there are more significant causal factors and less significant causal factors. So while leaving the house is indeed a causal factor in, say, getting run over by a car five streets down, few would consider it an in any way significant factor (and besides, leaving the house is such a mundane and necessary thing to do that nobody would ever think to postulate such a link when there are such factors as poor street signage, jaywalking or distracted driving to consider our unfortunate protagonist choosing to leave the house is clearly not the problem here). Smoking, on the other hand, is an act that quite clearly carries long-term health risks, one of which is a greater risk of dying of lung cancer.

As for being at home and dying at home, that would generally be correlative, I presume.

yeah i don't even bother to argue with smokers anymore; if they don't get the damaged caused to their immune system, Cardiovascular system, Respiratory system, hell even their skin and teeth, with all the research out there, ( i mean your going to compare the odd slice of burnt toast - which i toss away anyway!- with a regular smoking habit?!) then that's just delusion, denial, whatever.

but don't spread that bullshit around and suck in the next generation.

https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/health_effects/effects_cig_smoking/
http://www.cancervic.org.au/preventing-cancer/quit-smoking&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=quit&utm_campaign=Prevention

climate change is real, but even if its not, surely not pumping so much poison into the atmosphere, just in case, is a no brainer, and can only be beneficial.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:55 am

I believe everyone is capable of change.
Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:05 am

Here's the prediction for this season Laughing

13 cyclones predicted in Australia for the 2016-17 season!

A slightly above average number of cyclones predicted in the Australian region for 2016-17!

13 cyclones in total across the Australian region with 6 possibly severe category 3 or above.

6 cyclones in total for Western region with 3 possibly severe.

2 cyclones in total for Northern region with 1 possibly severe.

5 cyclones in total for Eastern region with 2 possibly severe.

5 cyclone coastal crossings in total with 2 in the Western region (WA), 1 in the Northern region (NT) and 2 in the Eastern region (QLD).

Up to 18 tropical lows across the Australian region with a number of lows impacting the mainland across all regions

We all heard the doomsdayers tell us how there would be more cyclones, they'd be more extreme and the end of the world is nigh.

WA's average number of cyclones is 6 off the coast, with 3 crossing land.
Well, look how much this 'global warming' has impacted us... here's the number of crossings of the WA coastline since 1993.

93-94 - 1
94-95 - 3
95-96 - 3
96-97 - 3
97-98 - 0
98-99 - 3
99-00 - 5
00-01 - 2
01-02 - 1
02-03 - 2
03-04 - 2
04-05 - 1
05-06 - 4
06-07 - 1
07-08 - 1
08-09 - 2
09-10 - 2
10-11 - 0
11-12 - 1
12-13 - 1
13-14 - 3
14-15 - 0
15-16 - 3

That's an average of less than 2 over the last 23 seasons.

16-17 - none as yet and none on the horizon... 10 weeks into what was going to be "another" horrific season Rolling Eyes

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:17 am

Skids wrote:

Predicted by whom Skids?

Bureau of Meteorology?

Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:43 am

watt price tully wrote:
Skids wrote:

Predicted by whom Skids?

Bureau of Meteorology?

Yep. Sorry, forgot to add the link.

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/cyclones/australia/

More cyclones than average likely for Australia
Outlook by region

The outlook indicates that an above-average number of tropical cyclones are most likely in the Australian region and Northwestern sub-region for 201617. All other regions are likely to have a near average number of tropical cyclones.
The Australian region has a 67% chance of having more tropical cyclones than average, meaning a 33% chance of having fewer tropical cyclones than average. Typically, around four tropical cyclones cross the Australian coastline in a season. Outlook accuracy for the Australian region is high.
The Western region is likely to experience an average number of tropical cyclones this season, with the likelihood of an above average season at 59%. The chance of a below average season is 41%. Typically between about 15% and 40% of tropical cyclones in the Western region create coastal impacts. Outlook accuracy for the Western region is low.
The Northwestern sub-region has a 63% chance of more tropical cyclones than average and a 37% chance of fewer tropical cyclones than average. Typically, five cyclones form in or pass through this area each season. Around 40% of tropical cyclones in the Northwestern sub-region effect coastal areas at some stage in their life cycle. Outlook accuracy in this region is moderate.
The Northern region outlook suggests an average number of tropical cyclones with a 56% chance of more tropical cyclones than average and a 44% chance of fewer tropical cyclones than average. In an average year the Northern region typically experiences three cyclones, and one or two tropical lows that later become cyclones after moving into the Western or Eastern regions. About three-quarters of the tropical cyclones in the Northern region impact coastal regions. Outlook accuracy in this region is very low.
The Eastern region outlook also indicates a near average tropical cyclone season is most likely, with a 58% chance of above average and 42% chance of below average numbers. About a quarter of tropical cyclones in the Eastern region make landfall. Outlook accuracy in this region is low.

regan is true fullback 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:06 pm

[
Quote:
q=]w.philstar.com/headlines/2016/12/25/.../live-updates-tropical-cyclone-nina-phDec 26, 2016 - LIVE updates:
Tropical cyclone 'Nina'
Tropical cyclone Nina is expected to leave the Philippine area of responsibility on Wednesday after howling across Bicol region and southern Luzon

in the middle of the dry season!

whatever Rupert tells you son...
luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:19 pm

think positive wrote:
yeah i don't even bother to argue with smokers anymore; if they don't get the damaged caused to their immune system, Cardiovascular system, Respiratory system, hell even their skin and teeth, with all the research out there, ( i mean your going to compare the odd slice of burnt toast - which i toss away anyway!- with a regular smoking habit?!) then that's just delusion, denial, whatever.

See, this is what sh1ts me. That damage can also be evident in non smokers. Just because someone smokes, doesn't mean their health issues are caused by smoking.

I have an auto immune disease that is in no way shape or form caused by smoking.
My teeth are fine (trying to break the Collingwood fan stereo type!)
Heart's good
BP checked yesterday - perfect.
Skin's good (thanks Chanel skincare)

No signs of damage to anything from my 20+ years of smoking.

John Ilhan wasn't a smoker & dropped dead while jogging. My BFF wasn't a smoker & dropped dead sleeping!

Hope none of you "don't smoke because you'll get cancer" brigade don't use a microwave. Or go out in the sun. Or eat burnt toast (I love that stat).
Just keep drinking, coz you know, that does no damage Rolling Eyes
Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:01 pm

luvdids wrote:
think positive wrote:

See, this is what sh1ts me. That damage can also be evident in non smokers. Just because someone smokes, doesn't mean their health issues are caused by smoking.

I have an auto immune disease that is in no way shape or form caused by smoking.
Heart's good

John Ilhan wasn't a smoker & dropped dead while jogging. My BFF wasn't a smoker & dropped dead sleeping!

Hope none of you "don't smoke because you'll get cancer" brigade don't use a microwave. Or go out in the sun. Or eat burnt toast (I love that stat).

Do you have those pronounced little vertical lines above your top lip that are so evident in women who smoke? They're a dead set giveaway when you 1st meet someone.

I gave up smoking ciggys 10 years ago, best thing I ever did... 10 packs a week for 10 years.... 5200 packets at how much Shocked

The change in just your ability to breathe and exercise more efficiently is immeasurable.

I did enjoy durries but if you think smoking isn't bad for you Confused really?

Don't use a microwave... hate them things. Same goes for clothes dryers, to even have one of those in our climate Wink Wink is madness.

luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:07 pm

No, I don't think I do have those little wrinkle things.

I didn't say it wasn't bad for you, I said don't blame all health issues on smoking as non smokers can also get the exact same health issues.

10 packs a week??? Wow, that was a huge amount. Good on you for quitting - if for nothing else than the $$$ saved.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:15 pm

luvdids wrote:
think positive wrote:

Heart's good

take a breath and reread the quoted line please.

i didnt say that smoking causes anything. And i didnt even mention cancer. i said it does damage, and the easy to find pics of lungs of people who smoke, compared to those who either never, or no longer smoke is obvious. And its also well documented that smoking compromises your immune system. ie, it prohibits it from working as well as it possibly can. if you are prone, genetically programmed, exposed etc to a disease, any disease, then you want your immune system firing on all cylinders. im not making this up, and im also not going to argue about it.

yes, we have a microwave, but limit its use as much as possible, especially since the data came out, whether its right or wrong, im reducing the risk. we use 30 or 50 plus sunscreen, not the cheap stuff, the good stuff, and we dont eat burnt anything, i read about that years ago! as for my drinking!!~ ah well! i have one vice! and these days i limit that to 2-4 drinks a week, inc maybe 2 saturday night, i cant remember the last time i had three drinks in a sitting, and i have to say, i feel a hell of a lot better for it!

um, cheers!!

luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:24 pm

think positive wrote:
luvdids wrote:
think positive wrote:

Heart's good

take a breath and reread the quoted line please.

i didnt say that smoking causes anything. And i didnt even mention cancer. i said it does damage, and the easy to find pics of lungs of people who smoke, compared to those who either never, or no longer smoke is obvious. And its also well documented that smoking compromises your immune system. ie, it prohibits it from working as well as it possibly can. if you are prone, genetically programmed, exposed etc to a disease, any disease, then you want your immune system firing on all cylinders. im not making this up, and im also not going to argue about it.

yes, we have a microwave, but limit its use as much as possible, especially since the data came out, whether its right or wrong, im reducing the risk. we use 30 or 50 plus sunscreen, not the cheap stuff, the good stuff, and we dont eat burnt anything, i read about that years ago! as for my drinking!!~ ah well! i have one vice! and these days i limit that to 2-4 drinks a week, inc maybe 2 saturday night, i cant remember the last time i had three drinks in a sitting, and i have to say, i feel a hell of a lot better for it!

um, cheers!!

Oh, so where you said "if they don't get the damage CAUSED..." wasn't you saying that smoking causes anything?

Maybe you should take a breath & reread your post.

I've also seen pictures of lungs. It was incredibly hard to tell the difference between the lungs of a smoker & the lungs of someone living in a built up area. If you think your lungs are pink & lovely because you don't smoke, think again. They'll be just as black, from pollution. (it was on some medical show, the doctor even mentioned most people are shocked that they don't smoke yet their lungs look just as bad).

Last edited by luvdids on Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Page 4 of 51   

Jump to: