Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Climate change

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:45 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
Fluctuations in climate and the natural disasters that they bring about have, of course, occurred throughout human history. It's when these fluctuations are hitting new upper extremes and frequency that we have a serious problem.

No, I'd say that equates to; bigger population over more areas and more/better recording equipment.

Marble Bar is commonly known as one of the hottest places on earth... nobody lived there until 1890. Was it hotter before then? Who knows?

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:40 pm

Skids, it wouldn't matter what anyone comes up with there is that opposing view with statistics that build a case for both sides. I get it, you and I won't know who's right or wrong as we won't be around. My view is basic, I hope the scientists are wrong.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:12 pm

^

Pretty much.

My view, as I've said before, is that the science behind CO2 being a greenhouse gas is pretty clear and settled. As such, it makes sense to take steps to minimise production and move to cleaner renewable sources.

What's not settled is what the impact of global warming will have, how much of a contribution it has, if any, on frequency of extreme weather.

The earths magnetic field has been acting up recently resulting in the magnetic north pole moving dramatically. What impact does that have on weather?

We're due for another glacial period due to natural factors completely out of our control and unrelated to greenhouse gases. What impact does that have on weather?

Just because you don't agree with the zealots and their unsubstantiated yet constantly repeated claims of global disaster unless we change things yesterday doesn't make you a climate change sceptic in my book.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:30 am

^^There are a lot of contradictions out in the world. We have a Government that deny sea levels are rising yet I have been involved with RFQTS (Request for Quotation and Tasking Statement) for the ADF which involves raising Naval Base pier levels due to rising sea levels. Firstly Garden Island to be raised 1.5 metres. Works to start 2020.
ronrat 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:17 pm

culprit, many moons ago i was a procurement clerk in the Army and we became the tri service managers of victualling equipment. crockery, cutlery, pots and pans etc. We could not work out why the navy went through 5 times as much as the other 2 services put together and it was mostly mugs and silver plated officers cutlery and embossed crockery.

So the major flew to Sydney and spoke to some people and found out a few things. originally they blames on ship movement.

1. duty watch officers would grab a mug of coffee and instead of taking the mug back would fling the thing over the side.

2. Ships returning from overseas had dining in nights before they disembarked in the snco and officers mess and the ratings had to serve etc and they couldn,t go on leave until the dishes were done. so they would wrap it all up in the tablecloths and fling it into the sea adjacent to garden island. subsequent tool dives by trainee mine clearance divers dredged up over 20 tonnes of silverware. there is probably a few hundred more in the sludge

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:36 pm

^^ha ha, well we do have the HMAS Cocktail Party. Could be something in that.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:46 pm

So, this Friday, students are holding a protest day about climate change.

https://www.schoolstrike4climate.com/about

I saw a young girl, 16 I think they said, who's one of the organises speak on the Project.

Clearly a future Greens senator. She told them they wanted no more burning of fossil fuels and 100% renewable energy by 2030.

When asked what this might do to the economy, she actually laughed and said "The economy? Not my job, I'm a student"

So all idealism, no realism. Rolling Eyes

Aisheeya Huq, welcome to the Greens.

https://twitter.com/theprojecttv/status/1105018498131025920

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:23 pm

Forget the economy, how do you grow enough food and transport it without fossil fuels? Stupid brainwashed, arrogant morons everywhere.
KenH Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:00 pm

You are so right Wokko, there seems to be a lot of brainwashed arrogant morons around. Not sure if you and I are in agreement in who they are though?
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:04 pm

stui magpie wrote:
So, this Friday, students are holding a protest day about climate change.

https://www.schoolstrike4climate.com/about

I saw a young girl, 16 I think they said, who's one of the organises speak on the Project.

Clearly a future Greens senator. She told them they wanted no more burning of fossil fuels and 100% renewable energy by 2030.

When asked what this might do to the economy, she actually laughed and said "The economy? Not my job, I'm a student"

So all idealism, no realism. Rolling Eyes

Aisheeya Huq, welcome to the Greens.

https://twitter.com/theprojecttv/status/1105018498131025920

Seriously you are bagging a 16 yr old and students for idealism and wanting to change the world they are inheriting ? really?

You go young people - you aren't tainted by the love of almighty dollar above everything else ( unfortunately that will be a yet for some of you) - those that are supposed to be " our leaders" are tainted by their desire for power and money - and dependant on lobby groups and donations from those that expect something in return!

More power to you - say it loud - say it proud young folk!!!
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:13 am

^

No, I'm not bagging her. No problem with the idealism but you'd think she might have actually considered what some of the consequences were to their proposals, instead of the glib response she gave that it's not her problem.

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:04 pm

^ fair enough - that's exactly how I react when people say budget Wink Very Happy
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:42 pm

^

Hah. Laughing

I no longer have staff or a budget to worry about. Damn it's nice. Very Happy

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:39 pm

Who cares about the fact that education standards are slipping in Australia.

As long as brainwashed children can protest about climate change, then that's the main thing Rolling Eyes

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:23 pm

These things aren't really in contention, though. Students taking a day off to protest or else choosing not to do so isn't going to affect broader structural educational problems one bit, so why bring it up?

In any case, whatever the failings of our current system, some might well point to students demonstrating engagement with important social issues as a good outcome.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Page 14 of 51   

Jump to: