Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Climate change

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:49 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

5 out of 5 incorrect. You're slipping. Please try again.
Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:20 am

Greta has been selected as the (youngest ever) Time magazine Person of the Year.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/12/11/media/time-person-of-the-year-2019/index.html

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:57 am

I’ll get in before the ‘spoilt brat brigade!’

Well done, no matter the reasoning, Her intellectual input, She got people talking, and is standing up to the bullies. Good on her.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:38 am

It is well done to her. I've barely heard or read what she has to say but good on her for having a go.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:31 am

What Albanese ought to have said in Queensland: From one of Australia's foremost writers and brother of Martin Flanagan (Martin is one of the best Footy writers on AFL going around while his brother Richard is an acclamed witer pe se)

"What Albanese could have said: we lied – Australian coalmines have no future"

".....Today we witness an unprecedented situation as a people and as a nation. Our country is burning and there is no end in sight, nor will there be an end unless we have the courage to face the truth. Our country is burning because it is warming up and drying out, and these things are happening because of a climate crisis for which human beings all over the world are responsible.

We cannot escape our responsibility to act on these truths.
"

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/dec/12/what-albanese-could-have-said-we-lied-australian-coalmines-have-no-future

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:05 am

Bucks5 wrote:
Greta has been selected as the (youngest ever) Time magazine Person of the Year.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/12/11/media/time-person-of-the-year-2019/index.html

https://babylonbee.com/news/nation-surprised-to-learn-time-magazine-still-in-print

Time did a poll before they chose the nagging Swedish teen and 96% of respondents chose the Hong Kong protestors.

You just know that Time did it for the clicks and exposure because they're an irrelevant throwback.
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:12 pm

^ I mean, that's the only reason they do it, of course: to sell the magazine. But you shouldn't complain too hard, Wokko; they gave it to your guy in 2016: Laughing

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/304/cpsprodpb/1631B/production/_92870909_4bf18338-e211-4964-b47e-a355e51c3dac.jpg

(The guy in my avatar, meanwhile, just missed out in 2010 to $$%^%%$ Mark Zuckerberg. I blame David Fincher!)

Otherwise, she joins the illustrious company of Vladimir Putin, Newt Gingrich, Wallis Simpson and, er, Adolf Hitler...

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:23 pm

Stalin too, probably the most comparable figure. Lucky for us Greta doesn't have the NKVD to hunt down climate catastrophe sceptics.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:47 pm

David wrote:
^ I mean, that's the only reason they do it, of course: to sell the magazine. But you shouldn't complain too hard, Wokko; they gave it to your guy in 2016: Laughing

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/304/cpsprodpb/1631B/production/_92870909_4bf18338-e211-4964-b47e-a355e51c3dac.jpg

(The guy in my avatar, meanwhile, just missed out in 2010 to $�$%^%%$ Mark Zuckerberg. I blame David Fincher!)

Otherwise, she joins the illustrious company of Vladimir Putin, Newt Gingrich, Wallis Simpson and, er, Adolf Hitler...

2010???

that should have gone to nick maxwell surely??

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:40 pm

David wrote:

(The guy in my avatar, meanwhile, just missed out in 2010 to $�$%^%%$ Mark Zuckerberg. I blame David Fincher!)

Illustrious company indeed. Laughing

Completely irrelevant and I could google it but does anyone know off the top of their heads when Time changed from "Man of the year" to "Person of the year"? Was it this century or before?

David Libra

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:06 pm

1999, I think, but some women had won before then – it was just re-labelled “woman of the year” in those years. The rebranding doesn’t seem to have helped the cause much; Greta is only the second woman of the thirteen individual “winners” named since 1999.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Person_of_the_Year

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:31 pm

ta for that, interesting that there's been more white women than Black people, period.
David Libra

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:15 pm

The trouble, I guess, is that their criteria simply recognises the already-powerful for being powerful – which inevitably reflects existing social hierarchies. Whenever someone “smaller” gets the gong, they’re usually lumped in with a nameless group (as in the 2017 cover dedicated to the #MeToo movement). Thunberg’s a rare exception to the rule.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:44 pm

Would it be harsh to put her on the same shelf as the 1935 winner, Wallis Simpson?
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:53 pm

A spoilt Swedish girl wins the award.

The Hong Kong Protestors should been given the award.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Page 38 of 51   

Jump to: