Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Climate change

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:16 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Wokko wrote:
If the Climate Cultists hadn't lied every step of the way, using fake models and tweaking statistics to suit their agenda or ensure funding/tenure while using a compliant press to push propaganda and destructive wealth redistribution policies then you wouldn't have that problem.

Well, maybe, if any of that were true. But let's not miss the elephant in the room: the deliberate, bankrolled campaign to artificially inject scepticism into the topic and broadcast it through politically friendly media outlets. Even if climate science were every bit as corrupt and politically motivated as you describe – and I don't believe it for a second – you still wouldn't get widespread climate scepticism among the general public without the financially motivated campaign to undermine and downplay the science.

https://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-hiltzik-exxonmobil-20170822-story.html

Quote:
In 2005, science writer Chris Mooney documented the company’s years of financial support of individuals and groups fighting policies and government actions to address global warming, typically by instilling doubt about climate science. InsideClimate News in 2015 laid out the discrepancies between Exxon Mobil’s “cutting-edge climate research” and its public stance of climate change denial. Oreskes, co-author of the book “Merchants of Doubt” about the tobacco industry’s decades-long effort to undermine research on smoking’s health effects, that same year showed the similarities between that effort and Exxon Mobil’s campaign of “disinformation, denial and delay.”

“It’s pretty clear that their strategy was the same as tobacco’s,” Oreskes told me this week. “Delay looked to them as a smart business choice, and it may have been.”

We know what they did, and we know why they did it. The only question left, I guess, is whether it worked. Of course it did.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:22 am

How many media outlets aren't friendly to the climate change religion? Maybe The Australian here, Fox News in the USA? A huge majority of media is pushing Climate change as well as State education systems, popular culture producers and celebrities and you accuse the skeptics of running a propaganda campaign? Methinks he doth protest too much.

The problem with being inculcated with an idea through propaganda from childhood is you see any attempt to break your programming as an assault and react accordingly.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:53 am

Not sure if that last bit is directed at me in particular, but if so I should point out that I was never in the school system and was raised by, if anything, climate sceptics. I'm not much of an environmentalist at heart, and it's not actually a topic I've ever been particularly engaged with. Nonetheless, I accept the basic science and recognise the urgency of the problem.

I think you know the answer to your first question. The Murdoch media has consistently pushed climate scepticism, both here (not only in The Australian but also in the tabloids, which dominate the market) as well as in the UK and the US. In the latter case, it's easy to reduce one's concept of dominant American media to outlets like CNN, MSNBC, The Washington Post and The New York Times (which are strongly pro-establishment science), but don't neglect the vast influence of (mostly conservative) talk radio and also local TV and newspaper networks on older American demographics. And even the legacy media there has welcomed the contributions of climate sceptics in ads and op-ed pages for decades, which at least managed to convey the impression that there was a controversy to be discussed. For what it's worth, I'd say Australian commercial TV is even worse on this front.

I grant you that the education system tends to be pretty rigidly in line with dominant scientific views in its approach to this. But for generations who grew up before the 1980s, the messages have been far more mixed. Obviously, conservative political parties (which you don't mention) have played no small role in amplifying climate sceptic messages. Every conservative government in Australia or the US has essentially endorsed climate scepticism since the turn of the millennium (Howard, who has had such a significant impact on contemporary Australian culture, being an explicit climate sceptic; the current lot, on the other hand, are content to say one thing and do another – those who support them know what they really think about the topic).

The fact is, the mainstream media has dropped the ball on this for a long time. Your claim that there's ever been any kind of uncontested pro-climate science zeitgeist in the West just doesn't check out; indeed, the lasting tragedy is that cultural discourse has never come close to reflecting the certainty with which this topic is treated in the relevant scientific field.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:15 pm

Another Inner City latte sipping Greenie (not) from Glen Innes in Regional NSW

"...Over the past three years, in cooperation with NSW forestry, national parks and the RFS, we have had very extensive controlled burning in the state forest and national park on our perimeter..."

Today is not the day to talk about climate change.”

No, yesterday was, or the day before, or the month before, or the year before. But it didn’t get a mention.

Now we have the reality, and the mention it gets is: “Don’t talk about it now.”

So the politicians (and the media) turn the talk to hazard reduction burns, or the lack of them, as something else to blame on the inner-city raving lunatics

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/nov/15/this-is-climate-changed-pray-for-rain-pray-harder-for-leadership

"...This is climate changed. We’re in the worst drought recorded. A million hectares of bush has burned. Barnaby says it’s Greens voters and the sun’s magnetic field....Pray for rain. Pray harder for leadership..."

Only a few pollies, the extreme right and a few .....'s on Nicks think the issues has to do with the Greens Rolling Eyes or deny the the role of climate change in these fires

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:44 pm

IF the climate has already changed, the effects are barely noticeable.

Full blown Climate change doesn't cause bush fires, all it can do is provide better conditions for ground fuel to dry out. Without fuel, no fire.

Whatever forestry maintenance has done it's clearly not enough as these fires happened in November, before it really gets hot. That means very simply, they were a time bomb waiting to ignite, climate change or not.

When people blame Greenies for the state of the forests, the standard response is that the Greens don't run the government, they don't make policy, which is disingenuous because for decades green groups have been protesting about the usage of forest areas. As a result we have vast tracts of forest locked up in "preservation" mode., not being actively managed the way they were designed to be over tens of thousands of years by the first Australians.

As far as Drought goes, this isn't even the worse drought this century, all 20 years of it, let alone recorded.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:41 pm

Ex Fire Chiefs attribute fires to the role of climate change. Must be extremist greenies 🙄

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/nov/14/former-australian-fire-chiefs-say-coalition-doesnt-like-talking-about-climate-change

The debate is well & truly over except for a few right wing nutters in the Lib/Nats One Notion and a few others.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:46 pm

cos the Guardian is a beacon of unbiased truth.

Blaming bush fires on climate change in a country that goes through serious drought every 18 years or so is a fkn massive cop out.

What are they going to do if/when it gets real and climate change really kicks in? Sit back and blame climate change or do something fkn preventative to stop bush fires happening?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDerCtj3-RI

Replace the word "cancer" with "Climate Change"

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:14 pm

How did the conversation get from 'exacerbation' to 'sole cause'?
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:27 pm

pietillidie wrote:
How did the conversation get from 'exacerbation' to 'sole cause'?

rationally, Farked if I know but it's being repeated with religious fervor by people who are smart enough to know better.

Logically, it's the agenda. say it often, say it loud, abuse any who disagree, facts be damned

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:43 pm

I thought we all agreed with Barnaby that it was just that the Sun's magnetic field was a bit strong at the moment? Made sense to me.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:57 pm

Barnarnaby is an astrophysicist of note. His head is full of space
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:28 pm

Now they're just blatantly lying!

Reporting today as the hottest day EVER in Perth... absolute garbage!

I've been at home, working in the yard, riding the pushy everywhere, going for swims, in the pool etc... it was warmer yesterday!

How low will they stoop to push this bullshit!?

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:44 pm

Skids wrote:
Now they're just blatantly lying!

Reporting today as the hottest day EVER in Perth... absolute garbage!

I've been at home, working in the yard, riding the pushy everywhere, going for swims, in the pool etc... it was warmer yesterday!

How low will they stoop to push this bullshit!?

Who to believe?

A One Nation supporter in WA or ex-Fire Chiefs of Australia including from the CFA? Who has a better grasp on matters fire and climate?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:51 pm

Feels over reals, basically.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:49 am

https://www.waclimate.net/perth-difference.html

The weather station was moved in 2011... so how can 'records' be accurately kept?

When I work at the Rail/Port facility in Port Hedland, there's two admin buildings, Rail & Port, they are about 6km apart as the crow flies.
At rail, the temperature is 43.... I drive to the Port and the temperature is 38.

You mob continue to buy the propaganda they want you to believe.

It's comical that supposedly intelligent sheeple can be so gullible when brainwashed by what they want to believe in.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Page 33 of 51   

Jump to: