Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Climate change

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:03 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

^As members of a disassociated internet cult which deems five minutes of forum reading as authoritative as the overwhelming consensus of thousands of people with years of serious competitive research under their belts, it would be galling for deniers to be schooled by a child.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:20 pm

David wrote:
But I’m not saying that she should be given special treatment because of her age, etc., and I’m not aware of anyone else who is. I’m saying that much of the criticism directed at her is explicitly putting her down because of those characteristics (including the two posts immediately above my previous one).

Also, the suggestions that other people may be writing or helping her with her speeches (which may or may not true – from what I’ve seen, she’s very good at speaking off the cuff) are pretty strange when you consider that the same is true for pretty much every political leader in the world (even, from time to time, our boy Donald – when he wants to say anything coherent). So it seems to me that there’s a lot of focus on discrediting the messenger rather than actually engaging with her arguments.

Great post, and I agree she really spoke well, and you can’t fake that passion

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:32 pm

"Schooled by a child"

The poor kid is deluded and has clearly swallowed the koolaide being pedaled by the environmental lobby.

No one is dying or suffering because of climate change.

mass extinction event? Where?

If temperature increase reach 2c then sea levels will rise by 20cm by 2100. The Pacific Islanders have 80 years to build a 40cm sandbag wall.

I'd say NASA is a pretty good information source.

https://climate.nasa.gov/news/2865/a-degree-of-concern-why-global-temperatures-matter/

Now there's some very good reasons in there why we should try to reduce emissions but zero justification for school children to be having anxiety attacks, claiming their childhood has been stolen etc. The people feeding them this anxiety should be the ones ashamed of themselves.

And these predicted impacts are only based on increasing levels of CO2 in the atmosphere, they don't consider historical evidence of variations in solar activity, the impact of magma and magnetic fields, it's taking a single data set in isolation.

So, I'm not seeing the emergency or justification for the group self flagellation, wailing, gnashing of teeth and general anxiety. The Earth is just not that fragile, the climate has changed dramatically over the journey. If Humans are that fragile, well maybe we deserve the worst case doom sayer scenarios.

If someone can point me toward a more reputable source than NASA that can explain why we're all phucked by 2050, I'm happy to read it. Until that happens, I won't be trading the V8 for a pedal car.

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:23 pm

^ Aren't NASA the ones who faked the moon landing? Wouldn't be trusting anything they say Wink Very Happy Razz
thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:35 pm

Say one of my kids had Aspergers, OCD and selective mutism.
Say my wife and I fed the kid daily stories about how Satan is real and the day of judgement is at hand.
Say the kid was so traumatised the she wouldn't go to school, stopped eating and ran about publically ranting that "the end is nigh"
"abortion is murder" and "the wages of sin are death".

Don't you think that DHS would come knocking on my door?

If it's bad to traumatise your child with the old religions then it's bad to do so with the new one.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:37 pm

^

Actually, i didn't know the kid had Aspergers until after I posted, but the first thing that hit me was for a 16 year old, she's tiny and looks malnourished. I don't know if she's vegan/vegetarian or just has small genes.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:38 pm

Morrigu wrote:
^ Aren't NASA the ones who faked the moon landing? Wouldn't be trusting anything they say Wink Very Happy Razz

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Wink

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:50 pm

stui magpie wrote:
"Schooled by a child"

The poor kid is deluded and has clearly swallowed the koolaide being pedaled by the environmental lobby.

No one is dying or suffering because of climate change.

mass extinction event? Where?

If temperature increase reach 2c then sea levels will rise by 20cm by 2100. The Pacific Islanders have 80 years to build a 40cm sandbag wall.

I'd say NASA is a pretty good information source.

https://climate.nasa.gov/news/2865/a-degree-of-concern-why-global-temperatures-matter/

Now there's some very good reasons in there why we should try to reduce emissions but zero justification for school children to be having anxiety attacks, claiming their childhood has been stolen etc. The people feeding them this anxiety should be the ones ashamed of themselves.

And these predicted impacts are only based on increasing levels of CO2 in the atmosphere, they don't consider historical evidence of variations in solar activity, the impact of magma and magnetic fields, it's taking a single data set in isolation.

So, I'm not seeing the emergency or justification for the group self flagellation, wailing, gnashing of teeth and general anxiety. The Earth is just not that fragile, the climate has changed dramatically over the journey. If Humans are that fragile, well maybe we deserve the worst case doom sayer scenarios.

If someone can point me toward a more reputable source than NASA that can explain why we're all phucked by 2050, I'm happy to read it. Until that happens, I won't be trading the V8 for a pedal car.

I actually didn't have you in mind, Stui, but you've clearly not given due consideration to the material at that NASA link. The serious discussion exists regardless of how irritating you find certain types of people.

If the internet is even turning you into a reactionary we're all screwed.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:51 pm

https://www.apnews.com/bd45c372caf118ec99964ea547880cd0
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:11 pm

pietillidie wrote:

I actually didn't have you in mind, Stui, but you've clearly not given due consideration to the material at that NASA link. The serious discussion exists regardless of how irritating you find certain types of people.

If the internet is even turning you into a reactionary we're all screwed.

Hey, woah.

I gather the kid has copped a right royal bagging on various social media, which I don't agree with.

All I've said is she is deluded, she's been fed extreme views which have clearly terrified her. She spoke well, passionately, and clearly believed what she was saying. I just believe she's been sold a lie and that's a fkn shame that a young person has been made to feel that level of anxiety, and then used.

I mentally fast forward 10 years and wonder how she'll feel when she see's that footage

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:32 pm

^Fair enough, although her drives are surely not more delusional than those of people motivated by personal economic incentives, culture wars or psychological reaction. Consider all the people out there who think their website reading qualifies them to scoff at the scientific consensus when they can't even do the entry-level maths to get into the first year of a science degree to begin the decade-long discipline of becoming a serious scientist. Now that's what you call deluded.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:50 pm

If being able to do entry level maths for a first year science degree was the qualifying criteria, 90% of the population wouldn't be eligible to vote.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:32 am

Here’s a response by Thunberg herself to some of the kinds of accusations made in this thread, by the way:

https://www.facebook.com/732846497083173/posts/767646880269801?sfns=1

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:07 am

I don't really see accusations aimed at her, I see concern for a child being used and abused by adults. Of course she is sincere, so was Patty Hearst. Children are being terrified by doomsday messaging from stupid parents and teachers. Instead of being allowed to have a childhood they're being pushed, bribed and threatened into climate activism. It's become nothing more than a religious cult for people who claim to be atheists.

I'm just old enough to remember the Cold War and I was terrified of nuclear war because the media told me to be. Unlike the current load of BS, that was a real, imminent threat in the early 80s. Children are very susceptible to adult propaganda and are also a powerful weapon of it. People who see through the scheming are angry about it, it's Nazi Germany style public manipulation and enough idiots are falling for it to make those who don't uneasy.
bokka Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:51 am

https://youtu.be/D3Y4WmMQtaQ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Page 22 of 51   

Jump to: