Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Climate change

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:49 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately there's an element of truth to it, global warming has been going to kill us all in 20 years for the past 30 years. Wink
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:41 pm

Yeah them rising sea levels are.... well, non existent. Scary stuff.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:08 pm

Thank christ the internet wasn't around 5000 years ago when sea levels rose 100m.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:33 pm

Skids wrote:
Yeah them rising sea levels are.... well, non existent. Scary stuff.

Try telling people from Pacific Island countries that. Guess they're all super-gullible for worrying about this and not listening to Andrew Bolt. Neutral

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:03 pm

Ship with Climate Change Warriors caught in ice, Warriors evacuated

Arctic tours ship MS MALMO with 16 passengers on board got stuck in ice on Sep 3 off Longyearbyen, Svalbard Archipelago, halfway between Norway and North Pole. The ship is on Arctic tour with Climate Change documentary film team, and tourists, concerned with Climate Change and melting Arctic ice. All 16 Climate Change warriors were evacuated by helicopter in challenging conditions, all are safe. 7 crew remains on board, waiting for Coast Guard ship assistance.
Something is very wrong with Arctic ice, instead of melting as ordered by UN/IPCC, it captured the ship with Climate Change Warriors.
Arctic Tours ship MS MALMO, IMO 8667579, dwt 466, built 1943, refurbished in 2014, flag Sweden.
The research vessel and icebreaker “Crown Prince Haakon” turned almost 85 degrees north. They went northeast of Svalbard on their way to the North Pole, but met thicker and more massive sea ice than expected.”…Thick one-year ice, combined with large batches of multi-year ice. In many places, wind and ocean currents have pushed the ice together into powerful helmets, and several of these are impenetrable to us,” says Captain Johnny Peder Hansen.

The ice is still 3m (10ft) thick, in mid-July. Even the researchers’ long special-purpose chainsaws proved hopeless, while the 20,000 horsepower Kronprins Haakon, at a cost of USD $175 million, failed miserably at attempts to push through. “In the middle of July, we saw a few signs of thawing and [assumed] that spring had come, said Captain Hansen, who for several decades has worked on various vessels in the Arctic. “We had expected more melting.” Klassekampen, a respected left-leaning Norwegian newspaper writes: “Polar bears were seen on Bjørnøya this past winter –located in the middle of the Barents Sea– which shows that the ice edge was very far south.”

https://maritimebulletin.net/2019/09/04/ship-with-climate-change-warriors-caught-in-ice-warriors-evacuated/

Funny how this sort of stuff NEVER appears in mainstream media... isn't it?

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:58 am

^You should officially complain to Breitbart, Fox, the Daily Mail and Daily Express for missing this monumental world incident. The Herald Sun and Daily Telegraph mentioned it for you given its enormous implications for Australia.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:25 am

pietillidie wrote:
^You should officially complain to Breitbart, Fox, the Daily Mail and Daily Express for missing this monumental world incident. The Herald Sun and Daily Telegraph mentioned it for you given its enormous implications for Australia.

Don’t worry, he has 😉

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:47 am

On the other side of the time-wasting of climate scepticism is the rather more trendy climate apocalypticism, most recently epitomised by Jonathan Franzen in The New Yorker, in which we're all doomed now regardless of what we do:

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/what-if-we-stopped-pretending

Quote:
Overwhelming numbers of human beings, including millions of government-hating Americans, need to accept high taxes and severe curtailment of their familiar life styles without revolting. They must accept the reality of climate change and have faith in the extreme measures taken to combat it. They can’t dismiss news they dislike as fake. They have to set aside nationalism and class and racial resentments. They have to make sacrifices for distant threatened nations and distant future generations. They have to be permanently terrified by hotter summers and more frequent natural disasters, rather than just getting used to them. Every day, instead of thinking about breakfast, they have to think about death.

Call me a pessimist or call me a humanist, but I don’t see human nature fundamentally changing anytime soon. I can run ten thousand scenarios through my model, and in not one of them do I see the two-degree target being met.

To judge from recent opinion polls, which show that a majority of Americans (many of them Republican) are pessimistic about the planet’s future, and from the success of a book like David Wallace-Wells’s harrowing “The Uninhabitable Earth,” which was released this year, I’m not alone in having reached this conclusion. But there continues to be a reluctance to broadcast it. Some climate activists argue that if we publicly admit that the problem can’t be solved, it will discourage people from taking any ameliorative action at all. This seems to me not only a patronizing calculation but an ineffectual one, given how little progress we have to show for it to date. The activists who make it remind me of the religious leaders who fear that, without the promise of eternal salvation, people won’t bother to behave well. In my experience, nonbelievers are no less loving of their neighbors than believers. And so I wonder what might happen if, instead of denying reality, we told ourselves the truth.

Here's a good response to Franzen's fatalism:

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2019/09/franzens-privileged-climate-resignation-is-deadly-and-useless

Quote:
Franzen’s more dangerous argument rests on the premise that, after a certain warming threshold, the climate apocalypse is inevitable. Franzen claims baselessly that “it probably makes no difference how badly we overshoot two degrees,” because the whole system would fall apart. This is not true, and I have no idea how that claim made it past the New Yorker’s legendary fact-checking department. As actual climate scientist Kate Marvel points out, there is no magical point of temperature rise separating “apocalypse” from “not-apocalypse,” only a gradual slope of worsening futures. 3 degrees of warming is worse than 2, but it is much better than 4. (Embarrassingly, Dr. Marvel did not account for Franzen’s brain model in her calculations.)

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:44 pm

So translation, we don't have an emergency despite the propaganda?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:27 pm

No, we very much do – it's just stupid to say that it's inevitable so we should all just give up.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:07 pm

I feel the same way with the emergency stuff. It's not an emergency, it's a problem that needs consideration and action, not just panicked reaction.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:45 pm

Nothing evere needs a panicked reaction. It is an emergency, though.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:29 pm

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:28 am

https://theconversation.com/climate-change-deniers-are-dangerous-they-dont-deserve-a-place-on-our-site-123164
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:42 pm

Yep, have to silence all opposition, no heresy allowed. Absolutely pathetic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Page 20 of 51   

Jump to: