Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Climate change

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:33 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting vid about the last time earth really warmed up and I mean really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldLBoErAhz4

Rainforests in the arctic. Shocked

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:33 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jun/12/how-do-you-hug-a-climate-scientist-follow-these-simple-rules-and-dont-make-it-weird
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:12 pm

Gee thanks, I feel dumber for having looked at the link.

watch the vid, you might learn something.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:08 pm

I can't believe you don't like First Dog On The Moon. I thought it was hilarious.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:35 pm

I just feel like everytime I click on a Guardian link I lose a few brain cells. With alcohol and ageing, I don't have as many to spare as I used to.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:49 pm

OK. Whatever.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:09 pm

stui magpie wrote:
I just feel like everytime I click on a Guardian link I lose a few brain cells. With alcohol and ageing, I don't have as many to spare as I used to.

Yep. Funny how different everyone's humour is. I dont find that cartoon funny. There ya go.

I think, the links here. From the 16th of May, just over 5 weeks ago, to what has since transpired in rainfall over the SW, shows just how ignorant these 'experts' are in their field of weather and climate.

Since the dier picture they so confidently described, rainfall across WA has been quite extrodinary.

Perth - 177mm (June avg 126) still raining now, withe the forecasters predicting up to another 50mm for the month. How much confidence can you take from that though.... Rolling Eyes

Bickley - 253mm (In the hills catchment area)

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2019-05-16/positive-indian-ocean-dipole-bad-news-for-drought-crippled-areas/11120566?pfmredir=sm

https://www.google.com.au/amp/amp.abc.net.au/article/11167928

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:29 pm

Renewable energy and batteries are all the rage, and rightly so as there's a significant reduction in greenhouse gas emissions by using them.

But for renewable energy, particularly solar power, to really impact the electricity grid and enable removal of coal powered stations, batteries are essential to store that power.

Whack solar panels on rooftops all you like, it may reduce peoples bills but once night comes unless you have batteries you're back using the grid for power, which carries the risk of demand exceeding supply during the evening when people are at home using maximum power.

Batteries contain Lithium as a primary ingredient. That involves mining and waste. Most people don't realise that and just think renewable energy is automatically green and clean and has no environmental impact, but it does,

Quote:
Lithium mining will leave its own scars on a landscape already littered with tens of thousands of abandoned mining voids, pits, equipment and piles of tailings – and create its own waste.

In WA’s South West, processing of spodumene ore from the Greenbushes lithium mine will result in 600,000 tonnes per year of waste material being dumped – or ‘stacked’, if you want the euphemism – only 3.5km outside the charming little town of Dardanup.

Let me repeat that: 600,000 tonnes per year.

And it's not just the amount, it's WTF do we do with it.

Quote:
And it’s not just sand and dirt. It's waste of a kind so new to Australia that they had to get samples from China to find out what to classify it as.

Cleanaway submitted to the EPA that it was inert and non-toxic waste.

Yet no sustainable market exists for its reuse.

“By storing tailings in dedicated storage cells, in the event a sustainable market for reuse was developed, the material might one day be recovered,” it submitted, optimistically, to the Environment Protection Authority considering its proposal.

Somehow, I find it hard to believe that it is any miner or processor’s priority to find or develop such a market.

Subject to EPA and Joint Development Assessment Panel approvals, this waste will pile up in Dardanup for decades.

Quite a good and informative article, not suggesting in anyway that this is a reason not to move toward batteries and renewables, but people need to understand that everything has consequences, good or bad and to embrace renewable energy and batteries means understanding and accepting these consequences, not being ignorant to them.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/enormous-lithium-waste-dump-plan-shows-how-shamefully-backward-we-are-20190621-p52054.html

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:41 pm

Good points Stui.

I think Australia is also backward when it comes to the topic of nuclear power. Australia remains the only G20 country to not use nuclear power in any capacity.

This utopia that Australia will transition to 100% renewables one day and have reliable baseload power is delusional.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:46 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Renewable energy and batteries are all the rage, and rightly so as there's a significant reduction in greenhouse gas emissions by using them.

Quote:
Lithium mining will leave its own scars on a landscape already littered with tens of thousands of abandoned mining voids, pits, equipment and piles of tailings – and create its own waste.

In WA’s South West, processing of spodumene ore from the Greenbushes lithium mine will result in 600,000 tonnes per year of waste material being dumped – or ‘stacked’, if you want the euphemism – only 3.5km outside the charming little town of Dardanup.

Let me repeat that: 600,000 tonnes per year.

And it's not just the amount, it's WTF do we do with it.

Quote:
And it’s not just sand and dirt. It's waste of a kind so new to Australia that they had to get samples from China to find out what to classify it as.

Cleanaway submitted to the EPA that it was inert and non-toxic waste.

Yet no sustainable market exists for its reuse.

“By storing tailings in dedicated storage cells, in the event a sustainable market for reuse was developed, the material might one day be recovered,” it submitted, optimistically, to the Environment Protection Authority considering its proposal.

Somehow, I find it hard to believe that it is any miner or processor’s priority to find or develop such a market.

Subject to EPA and Joint Development Assessment Panel approvals, this waste will pile up in Dardanup for decades.

Quite a good and informative article, not suggesting in anyway that this is a reason not to move toward batteries and renewables, but people need to understand that everything has consequences, good or bad and to embrace renewable energy and batteries means understanding and accepting these consequences, not being ignorant to them.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/enormous-lithium-waste-dump-plan-shows-how-shamefully-backward-we-are-20190621-p52054.html

This is so much the case with 'Renewable Energy' ... classic example - electric car - uses those lithium batteries AND where do you charge it?
That's right, from a power source.... how is that power generated?

It's like people in general and what they put down drains, that doesn't need to be and shouldn't be!

Cotton buds, condoms, tampons, nappies, dental floss, food scraps, fats and grease, Paper towels, rubbish... whatever they $$%^%%$ like!... Idiots!

Always have , always will. The added cost to remove, treat and dispose of these 'prohibited discharges' ... not to mention the huge amount they add to maintenance costs of the treatment process, is probably more than what it would cost if the public could use their facilities correctly and think about it.

What the cost is, to sustain the 'renewable energy' crusade would be staggering to say the least.

But hey, let's not talk about what we can't see and are ignorant to.

Come over to WA, drive through the Pilbara, see the effect of mining on the land. It's phenomenal and you can never understand that until you see it.... not on youtube, wake up there, spend some time there.

Last edited by Skids on Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:50 pm; edited 3 times in total
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:48 pm

^
@ Jezza

Unless some really transformative tech comes along, I agree.

Doesn't mean we're stuck with coal though, we have huge reserves of natural gas which is far cleaner than coal and should be the transition step.

We also have a shitpile of uranium, so nuclear should be considered.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:39 am

Your not watching Chernobyl are Yo!
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:44 am

think positive wrote:
Your not watching Chernobyl are Yo!

Australia wouldn't be building a reactor using 1970s Soviet technology.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:31 am

Maybe not but that doesn’t mean it would be failsafe. Or terrorist proof. The result of eithervare absolutely terrifying. Hiroshima on steroids.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:10 pm

^

Also, my understanding is that "chernobyl" is a mini series, not a documentary and takes some...poetic licence with the facts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Page 16 of 51   

Jump to: