Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The murderous disaster of Robodebt

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:15 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, I'm not having a dig. You're mid 20's and a bit overweight (which is hardly abnormal), you have Asperger's, ( so does bill gates) and you may well have other issues I'm not aware of and you don't have to share unless you want to.

Yes, you have disabilities, but you aren't unemployable. if you believe that you are unemployable, that's a state of mind. There is jobs you could do and do well. Whether you'd want to do them, again, is a different discussion.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:19 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Dave, I'm not having a dig. You're mid 20's and a bit overweight (which is hardly abnormal), you have Asperger's, ( so does bill gates) and you may well have other issues I'm not aware of and you don't have to share unless you want to.

Yes, you have disabilities, but you aren't unemployable. if you believe that you are unemployable, that's a state of mind. There is jobs you could do and do well. Whether you'd want to do them, again, is a different discussion.

I don't want to really expand on this.

I just don't sit at home and do Nothing as some might think.

I help my Mum with her Charity Work she does and I also help looking after my Sister 2 Twins that are about 15 Month Old.

Also I am 31 so not in Mid 20's. Though be nice IF I was

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:03 pm

^

Cheers Dave, happy to leave it there

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:24 pm

stui magpie wrote:
^

Cheers Dave, happy to leave it there

Thanks Mate Very Happy

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:39 pm

Thirty one isn't mid-twenties.

Mid-twenties is around thirty seven.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:07 pm

Some insight into how the government used News Corp papers and other right-wing media outlets to curry support for the now (I hope) thoroughly discredited Robodebt scheme. Interesting to revisit the discussion in the early pages of this thread (some of whose participants were clearly getting their info from these same sources) in light of these revelations:

https://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/episodes/robo/101934932

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:09 pm

David wrote:
Some insight into how the government used News Corp papers and other right-wing media outlets to curry support for the now (I hope) thoroughly discredited Robodebt scheme. Interesting to revisit the discussion in the early pages of this thread (some of whose participants were clearly getting their info from these same sources) in light of these revelations:

https://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/episodes/robo/101934932

https://www.theshovel.com.au/2023/02/10/remember-this-life-we-destroyed-alan-tudge-reminisces/

https://www.crikey.com.au/2023/02/17/alan-tudge-political-obituary/

…….
From Crikey acknowledged above:

A political obituary for Alan Tudge
In his valedictory speech, the man who presided over one of the most shameful public policy debacles in living memory made no reference to his failings as a minister.

MAEVE MCGREGORFEB 17, 2023

It was once cynically said that democracy means the “bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people”. And so it was for Alan Tudge, whose political legacy has seemingly few points of distinction when cast against the record of the worst government in Australian history.

Alan Tudge’s resignation triggers byelection in seat with razor-thin margin

On the contrary, he’s a man who at 39 entered Parliament as the member for Aston in Melbourne’s outer east, professing a singular desire to emulate those who had championed the cause of the “less fortunate” and the “majestic possibility” of all lives. And he’s a man who at 51 resigned from Parliament, having given lie to those sentiments while in government…….

As the junior welfare minister in 2016-17, for instance, Tudge presided over the introduction of a series of punitive and degrading reforms, including the cashless welfare card, random drug testing for welfare recipients in certain areas, and, not least, the unlawful and now disgraced robodebt scheme.
Tudge, for his part, never pretended to be anything other than a jealous guardian of the scheme. When confronted with media reports regarding the legality of robodebt in early 2017, he responded by launching what appeared to be an undisguised campaign of intimidation against the thousands who had and would in time fall victim to it by leaking to “friendly” media the private data of those who’d complained. Among those ensnared in this ugly tactic was the family of a dead man — 28-year-old Rhys Cauzzo — whose suicide after being menaced by Centrelink debt collectors was known to Tudge when his office forwarded Cauzzo’s private information to The Australian.
It was a familiar cadence, given that just weeks earlier, in December, Tudge had already taken it upon himself to both sheet home and elevate the brutality of the welfare crackdown on A Current Affair. There, he invoked the language of welfare cheats by deliberately conflating non-compliance with welfare fraud in a bid — as counsel assisting the royal commission suggested — to cloud the mental faculties of those targeted by the scheme and coerce them into paying…….

“We’ll find you,” Tudge memorably warned. “We’ll track you down and you will have to repay those debts and you may end up in prison.”
During his testimony at the royal commission, Tudge denied he’d ever engaged in any kind of strategy of intimidation …….
Tudge’s office used News Corp to ‘shut down’ robodebt media crisis, royal commission hears

Close the door on the way behind you Scumbag Tudge.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:18 pm
Post subject: The murderous disaster of Robodebt:Reply with quote

The Royal Commission into Robodebt has heard from witnesses, relatives of people who have suicided when the Morrison Government at the time knew it was illegal. It’s much much worse than most of us thought at the time.

Obviously I’m not shy in holding the previous Morrison Government to account but after reading some of the evidence I was tame.

Morrison needs to resign from Parliament and apologise.
Porter needs to go….wait on
Tudge needs to apologise and resign (well he did the latter)
Robert the Liberal party and Hillsong fundraiser should stay as he’s one of the best weapons Albanese has. What a creep. The audacity of this ex minister and current piece of scum.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2023/mar/11/robodebt-five-years-of-lies-mistakes-and-failures-that-caused-a-18bn-scandal

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:30 pm

Seems increasingly likely that this will be the major legacy of the Abbott/Turnbull/Morrison governments: a repellently inhuman domestic policy to match the repellently inhuman policies that they carried out on our borders.

Completely agree that all involved should never set foot in Parliament House ever again.

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:02 pm

If only you felt that other leaders were held to account when their decisions have lead to hundreds of people losing they lives, then your thread might have some authenticity.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:35 pm

Morrison and the Liberals should be held accountable for the use of private security in Victoria's hotel quarantine debacle that directly led to the deaths of 768 people.

How one could vote for those murderous Liberals who oversaw this is beyond me.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:36 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whataboutism

By the way, it'd be just as bad if you guys started a thread about hotel quarantine and WPT or I jumped in to say "what about Robodebt?" But two wrongs don't make a right, and I think you should start (or bump) that thread if that's what you want to discuss.

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:02 pm

It’s not the only failure of WPTs hero and dear leader that has lead to people’s deaths.

Morrison got the ass.
Brumby got the ass.
Andrews got an increased majority 🤷‍♂️
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:05 pm

^ That would be "led".
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:22 pm

eddiesmith wrote:
It’s not the only failure of WPTs hero and dear leader that has lead to people’s deaths.

Morrison got the ass.
Brumby got the ass.
Andrews got an increased majority 🤷‍♂️

And Morrison and the federal Liberal Party also deserve some of the blame for the deaths caused by offshore detention centres, the costly delays caused by stuffing up the distribution of vaccines during the pandemic, and the bushfires (which Howard and his allies' decades-long stonewalling on climate change and frustration of international efforts to combat it have played a small but key role in helping to intensify).

But none of that has anything to do with Robodebt, and shifting the conversation to a debate about which major party is worse is a good way of ensuring that that specifically disastrous policy doesn't get discussed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6   

Jump to: