Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Comparison with 2009/2010?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
larrylj Pisces

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:30 pm
Post subject: Comparison with 2009/2010?Reply with quote

I have just finished re-reading the Side by Side book written about Collingwood's 2009 year. Lots of injuries, lots of bad losses, media pressure on the coach and much conjecture from supporters about where we were headed.
Cannot help but compare to our 2016 season and I hope the following year turns out much the same as the 2010 one did.
Optimistic as always! Go Pies in 2017.

duke750 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:48 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting comparison.

In 2010 I went down to Melb to the St Kilda game at Docklands and we were atrocious, and to the Gabba game where Fevola and Brown brought us undone. I thought we were pathetic halfway through the season and then we won umpteen strainght to finish on top. Go figure.

I'm not sure our current team is that good, but I expect that this year could be anything as lng as we are able to field consistent teams without injuries taking a huge toll as they have on the last couple of years.

The Dogs have shown that you just need to be playing good footy in Sept to be a chance.

E 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:04 am

feels more like 2007 than 2009.
Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:47 am

E wrote:

Made prelims both years, so we there or thereabouts, and made finals consistently from 06 onwards...this squad has promise, but is a long way off 2009 at this stage.

Still, that being said, you would have got long odds this time last year for a doggies flag, so who knows?

© Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
Lazza 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:58 am

Collingwood Crackerjack wrote:
E wrote:

Made prelims both years, so we there or thereabouts, and made finals consistently from 06 onwards...this squad has promise, but is a long way off 2009 at this stage.

Yep, far too many unknowns at this stage to make an educated and informed guess as to how the 'pies will actually go this year. The loyal optimists on this site will always (rightfully) see the brighter side. I used to be one of them but after the past 4 years, I'm incredibly reticent to do so and reluctant to make predictions based purely on loyalty, one eyed bias and speculation. I found that this did not work very well for me.

E 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:42 pm

Lazza wrote:
Collingwood Crackerjack wrote:
E wrote:

Yep, far too many unknowns at this stage to make an educated and informed guess as to how the 'pies will actually go this year. The loyal optimists on this site will always (rightfully) see the brighter side. I used to be one of them but after the past 4 years, I'm incredibly reticent to do so and reluctant to make predictions based purely on loyalty, one eyed bias and speculation. I found that this did not work very well for me.

We made the prelim in 2007 and it shocked everyone. but for a few Collingwood things happening, we could have stolen a flag as the doggies did this year. At the same time, it was a bit of a false dawn because we still had a lot more work to do in order to match the powerhouses of Geelong and St. Kilda. We hadn't even invented the Leigh Brown role yet and Mick was coaching in his sleep... having said that, we had some incredible veterans on that 2007 team (including maybe the best player of all time). If Dane Swan and Trravis Cloke were still as good as Ant Rocca and Nathan Buckley were in 2007, maybe the comparison would be better.

2009 we were basically 4 gun players (Jolly, Ball, Sidebottom, Beams) and a fluid team plan away from a flag.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:10 am

I respectfully disagree with your assessment that 2009/2010 resembles 2016/2017.

It's not the first time we've heard these comparisons of 2009 being trotted out in previous years. In 2009, we were a top four team who finished the home and away season with 15 wins and made a Preliminary Final. We were nowhere near this in 2016.

If we closely resemble any other year, I think it's something in the 2006/2007 mould when it comes to the age profile of the team, but the only missing ingredient of this team is the fact that we haven't played finals since 2013, something which we achieved in 2006/2007 after only missing the finals for two years running in 2004 and 2005..

In 2007, we had a good mix of youth and experience which allowed us to exceed most people's expectations and with some luck in the finals, we nearly pulled off the unthinkable had we knocked off Geelong in the Preliminary Final.

It's very hard to give a definitive prediction on where we sit in the overall competition heading into 2017. With a relative healthy list and general progression, development and maturity from the playing list, I can't see why we cannot be competing for a top 8 spot. I think if we're a finals team in 2017, we'll be in the bottom part of the top eight, but I'm happy to be proven wrong if we exceed those expectations.

Personally, I have us in the 7 to 11 range at the moment. I'm cautiously optimistic, but another stagnant or declining year will really fuel the tensions and concern amongst the supporter base when it comes to the coach and the general direction is the club is heading in, so we need the patience that's been afforded to the coaching staff and players to be reciprocated sooner rather than later.

warburton lad 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:00 am

Looking forward to 2017
mattys123 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:56 pm

I don't get the comparison to 2009 at all.

In 2009 we had made the finals the previous 3 seasons leading into it, and then were a clear top 4 team in 2009.

In 2016 we, even without injuries, were at best a bottom of the 8 side, if not outside the 8.

If anything it's more like 2005 and 2006. 2005 was 2016 almost, a team that had some talent but wasn't fully devleoped yet, and had a bad run with injuries.

So 2017 at absolute best will be like 2006, a finals appearance, but as a 5th-8th placed side.

You're absolutely dreaming if you think we can go from absolutely balls out sucking for the last 3 seasons to being a top 4 side.

I'll be stoked, absolutely stoked if we win more games then we lose next season, I still see it as a developmental year after stuffing up so much from 2012-2016.

My expectations may be seen as low by most, but they are realistic.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:34 pm

mattys123 wrote:

In 2009 we had made the finals the previous 3 seasons leading into it, and then were a clear top 4 team in 2009.

In 2016 we, even without injuries, were at best a bottom of the 8 side, if not outside the 8.

If anything it's more like 2005 and 2006. 2005 was 2016 almost, a team that had some talent but wasn't fully devleoped yet, and had a bad run with injuries.

So 2017 at absolute best will be like 2006, a finals appearance, but as a 5th-8th placed side.

You're absolutely dreaming if you think we can go from absolutely balls out sucking for the last 3 seasons to being a top 4 side.

I'll be stoked, absolutely stoked if we win more games then we lose next season, I still see it as a developmental year after stuffing up so much from 2012-2016.

Your expectations are pessimistic not realistic. As for me, mine are optimistic, but that's just the way I roll. I'm predicting us to finish 4-6 on the ladder. We'll find out one way or another in about 8 months I guess.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:18 pm

mattys123 wrote:

Never Say Never. We might make a PF(Very Best I can see us doing)

What did we Stuff up since Bucks took over?

Lazza 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:09 am

RudeBoy wrote:
mattys123 wrote:

Your expectations are pessimistic not realistic. As for me, mine are optimistic, but that's just the way I roll. I'm predicting us to finish 4-6 on the ladder. We'll find out one way or another in about 8 months I guess.

Respect your views RB but just saying that I made the very same prediction the last 4 years and was way off. Once, twice thrice, four times bitten, l twice shy but that's just for me. I have no problems with others speculating or guessing about end of season finishes. Can be a lot of fun.

I just hate it when I get something so very wrong for four bloody years, both in life and footy.... Rolling Eyes

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:54 am

Well saying its like 2009 is better than saying, "Well y'know I reckon this year reminds me of 1952." Hope springs eternal. #keepinitreal
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:27 am

I would be very surprised if we don't win more games this year than last year, but we're coming from so far back, that finals might be beyond us. Gubby should be given a lot of credit for shaking the place up and getting the right individuals into the club. Pity it ended the way it did for him but his fate is symptomatic of the blame game culture our society has become. History repeats, but it doesn't repeat exactly, so 2016 isn't 2009 and I don't expect 2017 to become 2010. We'll rewrite our own history anyway and when we win our next premiership, we'll be throwing the tapes of our 2010 victory in the bin, as they won't bare comparison to the brand of football that Buckley has been developing amongst this current group of players.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:30 am

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
I would be very surprised if we don't win more games this year than last year, but we're coming from so far back, that finals might be beyond us. Gubby should be given a lot of credit for shaking the place up and getting the right individuals into the club. Pity it ended the way it did for him but his fate is symptomatic of the blame game culture our society has become.

'Aint that the truth.

Fair dinkum, I bet you very few people own mirrors as that is never looked at when blame is directed. They blame everyone but themselves these days. Rolling Eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: