Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Lachie Keefe...

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sir Alan of Didak Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:41 pm
Post subject: Lachie Keefe...Reply with quote

First contribution for the New Year, so thought I'd start an important thread on a player I feel is a key plank to our chances in 2017 and beyond.

During the 2016 finals series and particularly on Grand Final day, a player by the name of Tom Boyd really stood up, using his mobile 200cm frame and strong marking game to full effect. At 204cm, Lachlan Keefe – a player hardly talked about on these boards and in very few "Best 22's" - is IMO our such weapon.

In part 2 of his career, expect Keefe to start games up forward and provide a chop-out in the ruck for Brodie Grundy (203cm). We know he can slot in to a key back role, should Ben Reid (195cm) or Lynden Dunn (192cm) go down "or" should Bux want to play Reid as a swing-man during games. Starting Keefe from a forward pocket, will also enable the even more mobile Jesse White (196cm) to settle in his role in the hardest position on the ground...CHF. Let's settle Darcy Moore (200cm) as a similarly mobile full forward, ala Jarryd Roughead/Buddy Franklin. Surround these guys with Fasolo, Elliot + a resting mid and this part of the ground looks ok...provided injuries stay away.

As much as I admire the progression Mason Cox (211cm) is making, I still feel he's a little cumbersome and isn't in our best 22 in 2017...although he obviously has the opportunity to force his way in with strong VFL form and (with Cloke + Witts gone) provides us with invaluable depth should Grundy/Moore/Keefe go down.

New recruit Chris Mayne (188cm) is essentially in a one out battle with Jesse White, whilst utility Tyson Goldsack (193cm) provides depth at either end of the ground. Leave Jeremy Howe (190cm) permanently in defence.

If Lachie can come back strongly, showing he can play back, ruck + forward, he will be an even better version of "Money bags" Boyd and potentially the most apt tall in the league.

In 2010, Leigh Brown finished 16th in the Copeland. My prediction for 2017 is that Lachie Keefe will slightly better that (12th-15th) and prove to be one of the recruits of the year in a much improved side that will finish between 3rd-6th.

Thoughts?

ghghffgghjf.jpg

Full 2010 Copeland vote count

Last edited by Sir Alan of Didak on Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:54 pm; edited 31 times in total
duke750 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:14 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post. I think that Keefe could be an important part of our forward setup in 2017. He is reasonably mobile, should have a decent set of hands and is a good kick. I remember Bucks using him up forward in the (sad) final against Port.

Keefe is a decent size and should be able to provide some backup for Grundy, but he will need to be given some guidance. Who is our ruck coach?

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:19 pm

I'd keep keeffe down back to play on the likes of Boyd, Tippett, 2 metre Peter etc. Don't underestimate that task, I think it will be vital. Lots of teams now have 2M key forwards, we need a key back who can go with them and be able to beat them 1 on 1 if necessary. Keeffe can do that.

I like the look of Cox up forward, he has a forwards instincts which Keeffe doesn't have. With Grundy as first ruck and Keeffe, Cox and White in the side able to give him a chop out, that's a flexible setup. I'd rather see Moore go to full back to relieve Keeffe while he's in the ruck than ruck himself, but White can also do it.

Is Keeffe a better footballer than Brown? Probably not, but you can't teach height. He's 204cm and mobile, he'll get a fist to the ball in cases where Brown would have needed a stepladder.

duke750 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:13 pm

I think Keefe could be a better player than Brown. In my estimation Nathan Brown played one standout game, albeit in GF! He was very slow, a very ordinary kick, on his left side only, and was at sea when the ball was on the turf.

Here's hoping Lachlan has a great season

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:15 pm

I don't have very high hopes for Keeffe at all.

Don't think he was much good before his Suspension and I don't know how 2 years off would change that

Sir Alan of Didak Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:43 pm

Hope you're wrong Dave!

Also to Duke 750...was referring to Leigh (not Nathan) Brown.

duke750 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:52 pm

Yeah. Point taken. Even though, there have some posts on Nicks that have lamented Nathan's departure, but I don't really think we will mappreciate as him.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:28 pm

Sir Alan of Didak wrote:
Hope you're wrong Dave!

Also to Duke 750...was referring to Leigh (not Nathan) Brown.

FWIW i was referring to nathan.

E 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:45 pm

stui magpie wrote:
I'd keep keeffe down back to play on the likes of Boyd, Tippett, 2 metre Peter etc. Don't underestimate that task, I think it will be vital. Lots of teams now have 2M key forwards, we need a key back who can go with them and be able to beat them 1 on 1 if necessary. Keeffe can do that.

I like the look of Cox up forward, he has a forwards instincts which Keeffe doesn't have. With Grundy as first ruck and Keeffe, Cox and White in the side able to give him a chop out, that's a flexible setup. I'd rather see Moore go to full back to relieve Keeffe while he's in the ruck than ruck himself, but White can also do it.

Is Keeffe a better footballer than Brown? Probably not, but you can't teach height. He's 204cm and mobile, he'll get a fist to the ball in cases where Brown would have needed a stepladder.

Not sure we ever lamented Nate Brown's lack of height. Brown had no problem with reiwoldt in their prime. No problem with anyone for that matter. A great shut down back. Sadly, the game has become so one dimensional that every player on the field must be a laser precision kick and must cover a lot of ground, so Nate Browns Skill set is no longer enough. At least according to the so called experts.

I still think we will miss a player of Nate's caliber.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:39 am

duke750 wrote:
Good post. I think that Keefe could be an important part of our forward setup in 2017. He is reasonably mobile, should have a decent set of hands and is a good kick. I remember Bucks using him up forward in the (sad) final against Port.

Keefe is a decent size and should be able to provide some backup for Grundy, but he will need to be given some guidance. Who is our ruck coach?

We have two part time ruck coaches - Rocca and Rendall
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:43 am

duke750 wrote:
I think Keefe could be a better player than Brown. In my estimation Nathan Brown played one standout game, albeit in GF! He was very slow, a very ordinary kick, on his left side only, and was at sea when the ball was on the turf.

To be fair to Brown, he was one of the fastest FB's going around when we recruited him. A knee reco and various other injuries slowed him down over the years. Your other criticisms are valid though.
E 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:28 am

duke750 wrote:

Players like Presti and Brown are to be judged by the output of their opponent. If you look back, Brown was a dominant shut down backfor several years. There were seasons post 2010 when Browns opponents would routinely have poor days (even in form power forwards). I agree with another poster who noted that injury slowed him and form tailed off in 2016 such that he appeared to be limited in his ability to execute that one skill that he was very good at.

however, credit where credit is due. He was a very very competant full back in his day just as Cloke was at the other end of the ground in his day.

Once they leave the club, i think its unfair to judge a player's career by its ending.

Warbler 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:22 am

Lachie Keefe was still getting the hang of footy after dedicating himself to soccer as a youngster . I'm hoping that the 2 years out has sharpened his desire to be the best he can be & at 204 cm that best could be very good indeed .
I am really looking forward to seeing him back & hope he slots straight into our decimated backline .

GO PIES
E 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:30 am

Josh Thomas was a personal trainer in Brisbane last year and on the 3 or 4 occasion that Lachie Keefe visited him at his gym, it is apparent that the lad has worked his arse off. If he doesn't make it, it will not be for a lack of trying.

the problem is that you cant simulate AFL footy. Not even in the VFL. It will take him a while to catch up to the speed of the game again me thinks.

I suspect however that he wont be knocked off the ball ....

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:59 pm

Good post ASoD. While you might be right, and if reports are correct, it seems that Bucks is thinking along similar lines, I'd prefer to see him resume at full back, for 3 reasons. Firstly, it's where he has previously played his best football and after a two year lay-off he's more likely to find form in a role he's already had success in. Secondly, given that he comes from a non football background, I think it's easier to play as a defender than as a creative forward. Finally, and perhaps most importantly, we already have numerous forward options, but our key defensive stocks are rather slim. While Lynden Dunn may prove me wrong, I shudder to think of him as our preferred full back. Having Keeffe and Reid as our key defenders provides a great foundation for our defensive set up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: