Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Who is Collingwood's most important player in 2017?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who is Collingwood's most important player in 2017?
Alex Fasolo
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Daniel Wells
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Brodie Grundy
20%
 20%  [ 13 ]
Billy Elliott
9%
 9%  [ 6 ]
Adam Treloar
13%
 13%  [ 9 ]
Scott Pendelbury
13%
 13%  [ 9 ]
Ben Reid
27%
 27%  [ 18 ]
Steele Sidebottom
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Darcy Moore
10%
 10%  [ 7 ]
Other
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 65

cfc2009-10-11-12 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:16 am
Post subject: Who is Collingwood's most important player in 2017?Reply with quote

Interested to see the results of this poll and hearing other supporters views.

I'm very strong in my belief that the guy I think is the most important this season can really ignite our midfield and will also help us execute many elements of our gameplan that Buckley has already stated won't alter much from last season. It goes without saying our centre clearance work and not only being able to win our share of centre clearances but also kicking scores from centre clearances looms as one of, if not, the most important part of our game that we must get right in 2017.

With that said, the man that is going to take us to the next level next season and is the most important player to enable us to be a threat in September for me is, Brodie Grundy. I think this man can be AA next season. In the back half of last season we saw glimpses of what this kid is capable of. Another pre-season later and he is ready to start leaving his fingerprints on football games.

Go get them big fella!!

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:39 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Very hard to ascertain who our most important player is, but I regard Grundy, Moore and Reid as our most important players for different reasons.

If Grundy can continue to develop from last year's form then I see our midfield benefiting greatly from this. Centre clearances haven't been our strong suit in the past, but it became noticeable that when Grundy was imposing his influence in games during the latter stages of the season, the team was functioning better. I hope he has a strong start to the year, because he's been criticised for his slow starts. Considering he's still only 22, he has massive upside!

Moore will also be important, so it's crucial that injuries don't set him back further. As our main key forward target and goalscoring threat this could allow the likes of Fasolo, Elliott, Mayne and Hoskin-Elliott to be freed up and score heavily if Moore is always the number one focus for opposition defenders. Moore's our main tall target and with Cloke gone, the stakes have gone up for him. He's young though, so expectations have to be tempered accordingly.

It's also crucial that Reid stays fit after what I regard as a successful 2016 season for him personally, considering the number of injury setbacks he experienced in 2014/2015. Our defence is regarded as inexperienced and lacking quality from outside observers and with Brown gone, Reid's leadership and experience will be very important in 2017 for the likes of Smith, Maynard, Scharenberg, Ramsay and others. It makes sense more for experience than anything else that Dunn was recruited to the club.

It goes without saying that the midfield needs to live up to expectations. Champion Data ranks it at #1, so hopefully that translates onto the field this year.

Last edited by Jezza on Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:28 am

Grundy and Moore.

Young Guns in Positions with will Lack of Depth

MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:15 pm

Three-way tie between Grundy, Moore and Reid.

Which is no slight on Pendlebury, but if the captain were to be absent, the midfield is the one area of the ground where we have surplus coverage, al beit none can truly fully replace what he brings.

But if one of the the three bigs miss, we are in serious trouble, because the replacements in reserve are either bit players, projects, kids or just aren't all that good.

mudlark 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:54 pm

With the horrendous run of injuries we had last season which decimated our backline, we were forced to use Taylor Adams as a backman,which totally robbed us of a Dane Swan type mid fielder. If we have an injury "Free" year and we can utilise our pickups without using midfielders as backs then Taylor Adams will be a huge influence going forward as will Adam Trealor . I truly think we have a great list as of now and if we can keep them on the park and get a settled core group we can go deep into the finals.
GO PIES!!!
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:16 pm

If we rely on one player we are in serious trouble. Due to the flimsy back line, Ben Reid needs to play all year. There is no replacement.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:24 pm

Ben Reid down back for me. You can't win a flag with shit defence and yeah, while defence is now a full ground thing involving all players, you still need a strong back 6 and reid is a key.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:26 pm

Travis Cloke.

If he returns to AA form and destroys us in round 1, I think heads will drop and we'll drop our bundle as we did after the drug article in 2016.

If he spuds it up and we can run over the Dogs and embarrass Cloke, then watch out.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:18 pm

MagpieBat wrote:
Three-way tie between Grundy, Moore and Reid.

Which is no slight on Pendlebury, but if the captain were to be absent, the midfield is the one area of the ground where we have surplus coverage, al beit none can truly fully replace what he brings.

But if one of the the three bigs miss, we are in serious trouble, because the replacements in reserve are either bit players, projects, kids or just aren't all that good.

Yep, they're the trifecta. Grundy, Reid and Moore in that order. Need strong seasons from all 3 if we're to push for finals.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:22 am

Very good, but very tough, question.

Hard not to get "best" and "most important" mixed up.

npalm 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:26 am

I've chosen to define importance by considering the impact on the team results if the player is absent for any extended period due to injury or suspension.
For me our most important player is Pendles. He is our only elite player and without him our midfield becomes average. With an average midfield you won't win many games.
And let's not forget he's our captain. Can't overestimate the importance of good leadership.

mattys123 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:29 am

npalm wrote:
I've chosen to define importance by considering the impact on the team results if the player is absent for any extended period due to injury or suspension.
For me our most important player is Pendles. He is our only elite player and without him our midfield becomes average. With an average midfield you won't win many games.
And let's not forget he's our captain. Can't overestimate the importance of good leadership.

I agree.

Once again our fans are under estimating the only true superstar we have at the club.

Not to mention he's the captain of a team that clearly lacked on field leadership last season.

Pendles is still by a mile the best footballer we have, heck he won the Copeland despite playing injured for half the season in 2016.

If he can stay fit, and have an ever better 2017 then 2016, we move up the ladder, regardless of who else stays fit IMO.

He's the rock with which we build the team around.

Grundy is next important, mainly because we have so little back up for him if he were to go down.

If Reid or Moore goes down, there's ways to restructure the backline or forward line to still work without them, but not Grundy.

So Pendles and Grundy are the 2 for me, with Pendles out in front, simply because he's still Scott Pendlebury.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:46 am

Grundy by a country mile. It all starts with the ruck and as it stands he's the only established ruckman on our list.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:14 am

mattys123 wrote:
npalm wrote:

I agree.

Once again our fans are under estimating the only true superstar we have at the club.

Not to mention he's the captain of a team that clearly lacked on field leadership last season.

Pendles is still by a mile the best footballer we have, heck he won the Copeland despite playing injured for half the season in 2016.

If he can stay fit, and have an ever better 2017 then 2016, we move up the ladder, regardless of who else stays fit IMO.

He's the rock with which we build the team around.

Grundy is next important, mainly because we have so little back up for him if he were to go down.

If Reid or Moore goes down, there's ways to restructure the backline or forward line to still work without them, but not Grundy.

So Pendles and Grundy are the 2 for me, with Pendles out in front, simply because he's still Scott Pendlebury.

So I guess you are 1 that say there is no such think as a KPP any more Matty?

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:09 pm

I have to agree it's Pendles
As our only elite player in position he sets the standard for the midfield and the rest just get dragged up by his coat tails.
When he's fit and firing (and he doesn't have to be fully fit) he makes us look a far better team.
Grundy Moore Reid are important but no matter how good they go without our captain leading the midfield we aren't a decent enough side to be a finals side.
I see Grundy Moore Reid as vital if we are to be a finals side and add to that Treloar and Adams
IMO we have 8 players who must be at or near there best every week to be a chance
Pendles
Moore
Grundy
Reid
Treloar
Adams
Elliott or Fasalo
Ramsay or Scharenberg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: