Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Look back at the 2011 Draft by Collingwood

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:53 pm
Post subject: Look back at the 2011 Draft by CollingwoodReply with quote

Here is who we Originally Picked:

ND:

50: Jackson Paine
65: Corey Gault
67: Jarrad Witts

RD:

17: Lachlan Smith
32: Marley Williams
53: Trent Stubbs
70: Daniel Farmer
80: Calon Mooney
87: Micheal Hartley

Well looking at it now it looks like a Terrible Draft as all are gone from the Club. Witts and Williams showed some good signs but still.

Now looking at the Draft and how we have on the List

WHE - Pick 4
Taylor Adams - Pick 13
Henry Shcade - Pick 23
Jack Crisp - Pick 40 in Rookie Draft

Looks way better now after seeing who we traded in from this Draft.

Just felt that is Intresting to See

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_drafts?year=2011&t=N&s=P

neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:02 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

You left out that the draft was compromised by GC GWS consessions
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:59 pm

So basically we made the GF and still have now added 3 top 25 draft picks from that year.

Pretty good going and you can be sure Hine when looking at the age profile of our list in particular and previous drafts would have highlighted 2011 as a miss for us and it might have factored into our recruitment of Schade and WHE this off season.

Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:54 pm

Also you need to take into account that our first pick in the ND was pick 50. Whilst there have been some absolute champions including our Swanny, who have been picked after pick 50, the majority have a very short AFL career.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:56 pm
Post subject: Re: Look back at the 2011 Draft by CollingwoodReply with quote

Dave The Man wrote:
Here is who we Originally Picked:

ND:

50: Jackson Paine
65: Corey Gault
67: Jarrad Witts

RD:

17: Lachlan Smith
32: Marley Williams
53: Trent Stubbs
70: Daniel Farmer
80: Calon Mooney
87: Micheal Hartley

Well looking at it now it looks like a Terrible Draft as all are gone from the Club. Witts and Williams showed some good signs but still.

Now looking at the Draft and how we have on the List

WHE - Pick 4
Taylor Adams - Pick 13
Henry Shcade - Pick 23
Jack Crisp - Pick 40 in Rookie Draft

Looks way better now after seeing who we traded in from this Draft.

Just felt that is Intresting to See

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_drafts?year=2011&t=N&s=P

Good article but you forgot Marty Clarke/Jamie Elliott for pick 25 to GWS!!

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:55 pm

neil wrote:
You left out that the draft was compromised by GC GWS consessions

Exactly, and the fact that we finished 2nd that year meant our picks were always going to be at the lower end of each round unless we traded up the draft order.

I think the fact that we've offset our losses from the 2011 draft with the likes of Hoskin-Elliott, Adams and Crisp means we've done reasonably well, with all things considered.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:40 pm

swoop42 wrote:
So basically we made the GF and still have now added 3 top 25 draft picks from that year.

Pretty good going and you can be sure Hine when looking at the age profile of our list in particular and previous drafts would have highlighted 2011 as a miss for us and it might have factored into our recruitment of Schade and WHE this off season.

4 with Elliott
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:43 am

Jackson Paine, Corey Gault and Jarrad Witts were three of the biggest disappointments. But I guess they were 3 later selections.

Lets have a look at what we got for each player:

Paine = Patrick Karnezis. Paine played 10 games for the Lions and Karnezis played 4 for us. Again, PK was looking to be a good player, but left the club as a disappointment. I guess its a nil all draw, unless 6 extra games get the Lions a "win".

Gault = nothing. 6 games in five years. Not tradeable. He looked like he had something, but I guess pre-season and VFL form can be deceiving to supporters who are looking for promise in a young player. Even thinking back to his debut game in 2014 against the Hawks, he looked good out there. But we held on for something that never arrived. De-listed and back to WAFL.

Witts = Pick 44 (Brown (Matched bid)) and Pick 62 (Daicos). Probably, and literally, the biggest disappointment for me. I remember his first game at VFL level where he took some good marks and showed signs of being a dominant presence on the ground. Still only 24 and will compete with Wright/Nicholls for the #1 ruck position. Kind of funny that the two picks we received went towards our two f/s players.

As others have also mentioned, getting Elliott (w/ Clarke and pick 67) for our pick 25 was a win.

Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:16 pm

Presti35 wrote:
Jackson Paine, Corey Gault and Jarrad Witts were three of the biggest disappointments. But I guess they were 3 later selections.

Paine = Patrick Karnezis. Paine played 10 games for the Lions and Karnezis played 4 for us. Again, PK was looking to be a good player, but left the club as a disappointment. I guess its a nil all draw, unless 6 extra games get the Lions a "win".

Gault = nothing. 6 games in five years. Not tradeable. He looked like he had something, but I guess pre-season and VFL form can be deceiving to supporters who are looking for promise in a young player. Even thinking back to his debut game in 2014 against the Hawks, he looked good out there. But we held on for something that never arrived. De-listed and back to WAFL.

Witts = Pick 44 (Brown (Matched bid)) and Pick 62 (Daicos). Probably, and literally, the biggest disappointment for me. I remember his first game at VFL level where he took some good marks and showed signs of being a dominant presence on the ground. Still only 24 and will compete with Wright/Nicholls for the #1 ruck position. Kind of funny that the two picks we received went towards our two f/s players.

As others have also mentioned, getting Elliott (w/ Clarke and pick 67) for our pick 25 was a win.

Still reckon PK should have made it and still be playing now. Injuries hurt but I reckon the selectors shoulda got him in earlier. Still I guess history is littered with guys like that who might have gone on to have big careers if the dice rolled their way. Probably didn't have the drive to match his natural talent in the end otherwise he would have persisted and got there.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:31 pm

Damien wrote:
Presti35 wrote:

Still reckon PK should have made it and still be playing now. Injuries hurt but I reckon the selectors shoulda got him in earlier. Still I guess history is littered with guys like that who might have gone on to have big careers if the dice rolled their way. Probably didn't have the drive to match his natural talent in the end otherwise he would have persisted and got there.

I think PK lacked it on the Mental Side

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:43 am

Had big wraps whilst at Brisbane. Was a big Pies supporters growing up. Was a huge Bucks fan. Wanted to be back in Vic to be closer to his family.

When we got him, and for Paine, it all added up to be a huge win for the club. I thought so anyway. But then again, my maths has never been that good.

Very disappointed that he didnt come on. How'd he go at WPL?

Rev 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:45 am

Witts was a NSW academy player for us, was he not? This means we were able to use a cheap pick on him when he might have otherwise been taken much higher in the draft?

It's speculative to say how much higher he would have gone but I'd guess at the time a few teams would have jumped at taking the giant kid higher than pick 67.
Gone Critical 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:34 pm

Damien wrote:
Presti35 wrote:

Always thought PK was that classic looks good at VFL level but struggles to step up to the pace of AFL type player. There are some players who might not stand out so much at VFL but can step up and give similar output in the AFL and I would put Smith in that group. Others like PK and I suspect Broomy look a cut above in the VFL but the extra speed of tha AFL finds them out

I spoke to Bo Nixon a few years ago and he said exactly the same thing. Felt no trouble coping with VFL footy but in the AFL he just couldn't keep up. It's what stops some players.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:35 pm

Gone Critical wrote:
Damien wrote:
Presti35 wrote:

Always thought PK was that classic looks good at VFL level but struggles to step up to the pace of AFL type player. There are some players who might not stand out so much at VFL but can step up and give similar output in the AFL and I would put Smith in that group. Others like PK and I suspect Broomy look a cut above in the VFL but the extra speed of tha AFL finds them out

I spoke to Bo Nixon a few years ago and he said exactly the same thing. Felt no trouble coping with VFL footy but in the AFL he just couldn't keep up. It's what stops some players.

Broomhead has done so good stuff at AFL Level when he is Injury Free.

There been Thousands of Players that Guns at VFL Level but can't make the Step up to AFL Level

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:43 am

^The list you quoted from 2011 was exactly why we needed the rebuild by end 2013. We have done it, and now we need to make it work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: