Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Sliding doors moments

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:54 pm
Post subject: Sliding doors momentsReply with quote

I haven't seen the movie this comes from but I get the idea.

I was talking to a staff member today in my new capacity as HR god (acting) and I couldn't help reminiscing a bit as she interviewed me when I joined the organisation and the bloke who was in my current job is now working for a recruitment firm and wants to catch up.

Long story short, I'd been not working for about 12 months after leaving my last job and had put in a few applications and met with a few recruitment companies. I went up north for Xmas as usual and got a text to ask if I could come home for my neighbours 40th birthday (from her sister) which was between Xmas and new year. I agreed and came home couple of days before NYD.

Once I got home I thought I might as well jump on the computer and check the job ads, saw that one of the agencies I was registered with was advertising for a suitable job, so I fired off an email to the manager of the agency saying basically, "Oi, I saw this ad, remember me?"

Got an email back next day asking if I could come in for an interview and the rest is history.

So the sliding doors moment is, if I hadn't come home for a birthday party I wouldn't be employed where I am now

I'm sure there's plenty of you who have them, share. What's one of yours?

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:52 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

If my old man hadn't of been having a beer in his old local back in the early 80's I might not be a plumber.

He was sitting at the bar and the headline of the Daily News (Perths old arvo paper) was. Youth Unemployment Hits Record High.

He was sitting next to an old bloke who he knew by sight but not by name and he started telling this bloke about my countless interviews and 2nd interviews for apprenticeships and just missing out.

The old boy asks Dad "Does he want to be a plumber?". The old man said I'd take any trade. Old mate says "Bring him down for an interview tomorrow" as he handed Dad his card.

There were no other applicants, the interview went for about 3 minutes and he told me to start on Monday.

If the old man didn't go to the pub every night for a beer, who knows what I'd be doing.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:11 pm

^

Good one. Smile

Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:01 pm

Well I've had quite a few doors presented to me, let's hope I slid the right one!

After finishing up with FIFO on the 28th of September, I was a bit worried about new employment opportunities. I shouldn't have been, I had to choose which offer to accept.

I was offered a somewhat attractive role as the Hydraulics Operations supervisor on Rottnest Island.... sound great doesn't it Cool , $120k/pa with a 3 bedroom house on the Island. The big sticking point for this one was the roster; 10 days on, 4 days off (never weekends off). After 13 years of FIFO I'm really enjoying being home every night. I was very tempted, Rottnest is absolutely stunning.... when you're in holiday mode!

I had another FIFO role offered with an 8/6 roster but the salary was only $110k. Not quite enough to entice me back to living in a box ine extreme conditions for half my life.

The position I have taken is as the manager of Rapid Plumbing. A medium sized company with 15 staff. A bit of a sleeping giant as he has been operating with no advertising and relying solely on a few government maintenance contracts. My role is to get the business growing. We've had all the vehicles sign written and got the plumbers in some good looking uniforms. Our website www.rapidwa.com.au should be up and running by the end of the week and I'm really looking forward to this challenge.

The money is just under the $100k but also includes a nice dual cab Ranger. I officially start next Monday..... let that door slide Very Happy

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:12 pm

^

Good stuff. Now that I'm about to join the ranks of the unemployed, I may have some more to add but not til next year. I'm planning on spending all summer not wearing a suit or shoes, being in an office, going to meetings or any other bullshit.

Got renovations to do and beer to drink.

Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:10 pm

Good stuff Stui!
If you haven't already got one, set up a Linkedin profile. Amazing results I found Cool

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:49 pm

Got one of them, but I may need to be a tad more active on it. Embarassed
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:59 am

i ran into a sliding door once.

i have many twists of fate. one time when i was younger i interviewed for a role as an assistant at a leading stockbrokers. they asked when i could start and i said i was going to sydney for a few days and couldn't start until i returned. i didn't get the job but years later i was at a friend's sister's place and we discovered she had interviewed me. she said i would have got the job but they couldn't wait.

another time, i missed out on being invited to an assessment centre for a three month temp role in a call centre in a large national revenue collection agency but got called in because someone could called in sick. i attended and was offered a role. 10 years later i built up a career culminating in advising the ceo and other senior managers on contact management and service delivery matters.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: