Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

We Easily win the Varcoe/Clark/Lumumba Trade

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:03 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

themonk wrote:
I really dont care about this 'who won the trade" rubbish, I think what's important is that you bring in guns and try to retain players you dont wish to lose.

However, why are people bagging Beams, he is a 26 year old gun who's had some knee issues for the past 2 years, he may have another 6 years in front of him? is Collingwood putting a line through Scharenberg? no, same goes with Brisbane & Beams.

btw I love DeGoey but he is not the complete package yet, Crisp has had 1 strong season in his AFL career and Greenwood is inconsistent, all decent players but none have yet to exceed or even match what Beams consistently delivered for several years.

Clubs would keep a close eye on trades to see who trades fairly and who reams who. So yes "who won the trade" does matter.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:08 am

Swanny hints in his book the reasons behind Beam's departure from Collingwood. His father's health issues forced his hand, but if he was really enjoying his time at Collingwood, he would have found a way to spend time with his father, while meeting his commitments at Collingwood.
Regarding his form in the two 2010 GF's he was immature at that point in his career. I thought he was injured in the 2011 GF. There's no reason to believe he couldn't have become a star finals performer for us, other than he needed to improve defensive aspects of his game.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:59 am

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
Swanny hints in his book the reasons behind Beam's departure from Collingwood. His father's health issues forced his hand, but if he was really enjoying his time at Collingwood, he would have found a way to spend time with his father, while meeting his commitments at Collingwood.
Regarding his form in the two 2010 GF's he was immature at that point in his career. I thought he was injured in the 2011 GF. There's no reason to believe he couldn't have become a star finals performer for us, other than he needed to improve defensive aspects of his game.

That make it sounds the reason Beams left was more then just his Father becoming Sick Question

themonk 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:51 pm

droversdog65 wrote:
themonk wrote:
I really dont care about this 'who won the trade" rubbish, I think what's important is that you bring in guns and try to retain players you dont wish to lose.

However, why are people bagging Beams, he is a 26 year old gun who's had some knee issues for the past 2 years, he may have another 6 years in front of him? is Collingwood putting a line through Scharenberg? no, same goes with Brisbane & Beams.

btw I love DeGoey but he is not the complete package yet, Crisp has had 1 strong season in his AFL career and Greenwood is inconsistent, all decent players but none have yet to exceed or even match what Beams consistently delivered for several years.

Clubs would keep a close eye on trades to see who trades fairly and who reams who. So yes "who won the trade" does matter.

Have to disagree, Geelong wanted to get rid of Varcoe, we wanted to offload Harry and as for Clark, well that was a unique situation.

As for Beams, in our wildest dreams we wouldn't have wished to move him on. Would he have had knee issues at Collingwood, who knows?

Furthermore, most are content that we gave 2 1st round picks for Treloar (I'm one of them), however did we miss out on a superstar this draft prior by not having pick 7, maybe?

You get what you can for your needs at the time, difficult to compare later on as there are too may moving pieces.
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:10 pm

WTF does that have to do with my post?
I was quite clearly talking about general principles of trading and not your specifics.
Jeezuz.
themonk 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:43 pm

Clearly 😃
Lazza 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:49 am

qldmagpie67 wrote:
Lazza here's the honest answers to both questions

His father was and is still battling bowel cancer. Whilst his current prognosis is decent at the time of Dayne's decision he was still undergoing treatment and his long term health was a real issue. I'm happy to report that his long term health whilst not perfect he doesn't have a death sentence hanging over his head currently but as everyone knows who's had to deal with cancer it never really gone forever

My understanding was the Suns didn't show loads of interest in him at the time he was looking to return to Queensland. They were a bit like a scorned lover who had been rejected once to often and only made a offer out of respect well below his market value.
The Lions were very aggressive in there approach and there offer was IMO way above market value (6yrs for $5 million) but you can't blame anyone for taking such a a offer

Mate I was as gutted as anyone when he said he was leaving I said all along I thought he would stay and I know there was no pressure from his father to return in fact it was quite the opposite as his dad isn't enough type of bloke who wants anyone making fuss over him. I think the real catalyst was he was and is very close to his dad and the thought of not being there if he was required as the eldest son played heavily on his mind

Thanks very much for your honest reply which I respect.

I DO believe the Lions were aggressive in their approach but obviously you and I both don't know if my point (that he was well and truly "got at" by the bloody Brion's either before or really early in the season) is true or not because you didn't comment on it in your otherwise fabulous reply.

Your answer kinda supports my view that without pressure from his dad, Beams may have stayed at Collingwood if not for the sneaky dealings with the Brion's that had already taken place and sealed the poaching deal.

Anyway, all water under the bridge now and I sincerely wish his dad all the best in his battle with the dreaded C. As I have repeatedly said, my anger/frustration is not, and has never been, aimed either at Beams or his dear father, rather the bastard sneaky arsed Brions. If they don't exist, I will be the happiest man on Earth (next to the Carlscum exploding!!)

Last edited by Lazza on Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:55 am; edited 1 time in total
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:56 pm

Lazza wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:
Lazza here's the honest answers to both questions

His father was and is still battling bowel cancer. Whilst his current prognosis is decent at the time of Dayne's decision he was still undergoing treatment and his long term health was a real issue. I'm happy to report that his long term health whilst not perfect he doesn't have a death sentence hanging over his head currently but as everyone knows who's had to deal with cancer it never really gone forever

My understanding was the Suns didn't show loads of interest in him at the time he was looking to return to Queensland. They were a bit like a scorned lover who had been rejected once to often and only made a offer out of respect well below his market value.
The Lions were very aggressive in there approach and there offer was IMO way above market value (6yrs for $5 million) but you can't blame anyone for taking such a a offer

Mate I was as gutted as anyone when he said he was leaving I said all along I thought he would stay and I know there was no pressure from his father to return in fact it was quite the opposite as his dad isn't enough type of bloke who wants anyone making fuss over him. I think the real catalyst was he was and is very close to his dad and the thought of not being there if he was required as the eldest son played heavily on his mind

Thanks very much for your honest reply which I respect.

I DO believe the Lions were aggressive in their approach but obviously you and I both don't know if my point (that he was well and truly "got at" by the bloody Brion's either before or really early in the season) is true or not because you didn't comment on it in your otherwise fabulous reply.

Your answer kinda supports my view that without pressure from his dad, Beams may have stayed at Collingwood if not for the sneaky dealings with the Brion's that had already taken place and sealed the poaching deal.

Anyway, all water under the bridge now and I sincerely wish his dad all the best in his battle with the dreaded C. As I have repeatedly said, my anger/frustration is not, and has never been, aimed either at Beams or his dear father, rather the bastard sneaky arsed Brions. If they don't exist, I will be the happiest man on Earth (next to the Carlscum exploding!!)

Welcome Lazza I didn't reply on the part of whether the brions had there hooks into him because I honestly don't know. Whether his management had been offered anything by the brions prior to the trade period remains a mystery and will do so unless someone comes clean. I wouldn't put anything past them especially with Matthew involved so heavily at the time. I do know the Suns offer was way below what is earning at the brions and also below what he could have earned had he stayed loyal to Collingwood. As you said mate it's water under the bridge.
I've held the same line for all departing premiership players or players who gave there all for the club. Thanks for everything but I won't be cheering your name ever again. I hold no grudge against any of them as I firmly believe in today's liquid player market we gain players we lose players it's just part of the process (a process I dislike but can't control)
Mate I get were your frustration comes from I feel the same on many players leaving but at the end of the day as long as our club ends up better off in the long term I'm happy
Lazza 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:27 pm

Yep qldmagpie67, totally agree.

FWIW, I will go to my grave suspecting the Brion's of "nobling" Beams unless I have evidence to the contrary but such is life and Footy.

I guess today's market IS different to 25 years ago and players will leave as they please. However my old fashioned loyalty says that if Collingwood treats you right, as a player you should stand by Collingwood. But I suppose 99% of posters here will see that is some old fashioned nonsense from an old fart like me!!!

HNY qldmagpie67 and also to everyone else on Nicks.

C U next year!!

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:58 pm

Lazza wrote:
Yep qldmagpie67, totally agree.

FWIW, I will go to my grave suspecting the Brion's of "nobling" Beams unless I have evidence to the contrary but such is life and Footy.

I guess today's market IS different to 25 years ago and players will leave as they please. However my old fashioned loyalty says that if Collingwood treats you right, as a player you should stand by Collingwood. But I suppose 99% of posters here will see that is some old fashioned nonsense from an old fart like me!!!

HNY qldmagpie67 and also to everyone else on Nicks.

C U next year!!

Sadly Loyality is Dying in the AFL

Players will leave for Better Contract. Espically when they are not 100% Happy at the Club

MacPies90 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:17 pm

I must say, I believe this is an opportune time for a broader assessment. That is, all the BS post Buckley's appointment of who we have lost, who is really flying elsewhere right now, and what have we really lost. Lumumba, no! Jolly, no! Beams (given longevity issues,)no!), Swannie, nothing to do with Bucks! Heater, certainly yes, but cannot understate cultural importance, the way he carried on like a DH in the prelim this year, and the small matter of Taylor Adams for the next 10 years. Go at it Nicksters!
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:17 am

Unhappily, a "broader assessment" might lead one to cogitate upon how Collingwood "wins" all these trades but still can't win enough games of football. Not me, my head's in the sand all the way down to my waist. Finals here we come.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:45 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Unhappily, a "broader assessment" might lead one to cogitate upon how Collingwood "wins" all these trades but still can't win enough games of football. Not me, my head's in the sand all the way down to my waist. Finals here we come.

I like your thought process P4S I'm with you lets all bury our heads and think finals
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:01 pm

^^^^ Sidey wishes you a very Happy New Year, qld - but he also asks me to let you know that where your head is stuck isn't sand! Wink Laughing
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:53 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
^^^^ Sidey wishes you a very Happy New Year, qld - but he also asks me to let you know that where your head is stuck isn't sand! Wink Laughing

That's so nice of him P4S tell him I hope he breaks a leg (wait that's what you say to actors before they go on stage isn't it ?) well he's a impersonator of a AFL footballer so close enough 👍👍😹😹. And I'll remember to be more careful placing my head in future
Cheers ole mate and happy 2017 to ya
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: