Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Collingwood midfield rated No.1 in 2017

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
magpieazza 

magpieazza

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:21 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Its all about consistency over the whole team. If a team has flaws they will be exploited somewhere along the line.

If your team has a prolific forward line, the best ruckman in the league, All Australian midfielders and the most miserly defence in the league then you will probably win the premiership...ala the Hawthorns and the Brisbanes of our time.

Having said all that Grundy is a crucial player because he also acts as a midfielder on top of his role as tap ruckman. Mobile running ruckman with disposal skills are pretty high in the order of value to the team.
Im still unsure about Cox, less excited than others but hope he can become a point of difference and value to the team in the next couple of years.

winpies Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:35 pm

"Champion Data explains why Collingwood’s midfield is the best in the AFL going into season 2017"

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/teams/collingwood/champion-data-explains-why-collingwoods-midfield-is-the-best-in-the-afl-going-into-season-2017/news-story/c805511bb6e31e45c5395a6b3771e3fa

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:02 pm

stui magpie wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
It's all about the ruck.

Disagree.

While having a good ruckman is a definite advantage, teams have won premierships with spud ruckmen.

Ball ups around the ground and from the boundary have reduced and the way teams set up nowdays a good midfield can offset a dominant ruckmans work.

The midfield needs to be offensively defensive. Working to lock the ball in the forward line when it's there, working to get it from defence to attack when it's down back, winning contested ball and delivering uncontested ball.

If you have a great midfield who work together, an adequate ruckman and a good back 6 you'll be hard to beat.

We won the flag in 1990 with Daicos and Brown in the two key forward posts and Monkey and Charlie competing well in the ruck without being dominant

The Dogs won this year with 2 part time ruckmen

Even a spud ruckman can give you an even contest when the ball hits the ground. We have a great one developing but it wasn't until the 2nd half of the season that he was delivering that. Even with all our injury issues you could see how much more competitive we were then. It's not a knock on Grundy, just an acknowledgement that ruckmen take time.
melliot 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:37 pm

IIRC Grundy's late year improvement came from his run and spread work. I don't think his ruckwork contests got significantly better.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:02 am

I think there was an improvement in our centre clearance work in the 2nd half of the season, some of which can be attributed to Grundy.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:50 am

jackcass wrote:
I think there was an improvement in our centre clearance work in the 2nd half of the season, some of which can be attributed to Grundy.

He got majorly spanked by Max Gawn twice this year. Will be interesting to see how he goes against a brute like Gawn in 2107.

Number 35 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:23 am

Pretty sure by then, they will both be in a box. Unless your talking about their Semen battling it out
melliot 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:43 am

Hope I'm around to see it!
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:54 am

watt price tully wrote:
jackcass wrote:

He got majorly spanked by Max Gawn twice this year. Will be interesting to see how he goes against a brute like Gawn in 2107.

He did, but even the 2nd of those games was only round 12 and before the bye. Will watch with interest how they go against each other in 2017. Gawn is over 2 years older so should be ahead but I think the gap will close considerably.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:21 am

We'll see how accurate they are in about 10 months I guess.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3   

Jump to: