Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Collingwood midfield rated No.1 in 2017

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:08 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Mayne will fix all that.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:14 pm

I hear that in 2019 we will have the best midfield in the free World.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:49 pm

I'm not a fan of stats like this at all.
Last year our best performing player by disposal efficiency was Frost according to the stats so make of that what you will.
No point getting the ball 4 times and giving off 3 handballs to players under pressure resulting in a turnover but it counts for a stat as a disposal.

That folks is were our problems lay.
We can certainly get enough of the ball. We have loads of players who can get it but using it to our advantage is the issue.
Other than Pendles we don't have a elite player in the midfield. In fact he is our only elite player.
This tripe they talk of above average or average means nada if they butcher the ball 30-35% of the time (which is the majority of our other midfielders going at around 65-70% efficiency)
Yes we lack some forward line power but our entries into the forward line are well below average to advantage I would imagine.
Pendles and Wells both finished on the top 10 for entries to advantage which should help us.
Trelaor Sidey Adams Aish Crisp DeGoey all have a long way to go to be considered anything but fair to decent players.
We haven't added someone like a Dangerfield to our group (who's disposal is only 67% as well mind you but when you get it 35+ times a game you've got a lot more chances of doing something good) so our midfield improvement can only come from the players we have improving.
I think they all have room for improvement in them but they need to show it for us to be any chance of finals
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:24 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
Last year our best performing player by disposal efficiency was Frost according to the stats so make of that what you will.
No point getting the ball 4 times and giving off 3 handballs to players under pressure resulting in a turnover but it counts for a stat as a disposal.

We can certainly get enough of the ball. We have loads of players who can get it but using it to our advantage is the issue.
Other than Pendles we don't have a elite player in the midfield. In fact he is our only elite player.
This tripe they talk of above average or average means nada if they butcher the ball 30-35% of the time (which is the majority of our other midfielders going at around 65-70% efficiency)
Yes we lack some forward line power but our entries into the forward line are well below average to advantage I would imagine.
Pendles and Wells both finished on the top 10 for entries to advantage which should help us.
Trelaor Sidey Adams Aish Crisp DeGoey all have a long way to go to be considered anything but fair to decent players.
We haven't added someone like a Dangerfield to our group (who's disposal is only 67% as well mind you but when you get it 35+ times a game you've got a lot more chances of doing something good) so our midfield improvement can only come from the players we have improving.
I think they all have room for improvement in them but they need to show it for us to be any chance of finals

Did Frost leave on a promise of more midfield time?
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:38 pm

It's all about the ruck.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:18 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:

I think you're vastly underselling Treloar.

He got more Brownlow votes than Pendlebury and had a fine first season at his new club.

Adams has taken his game to another level this year with vastly improved kicking also. Injuries are all that held him back this year.

Sidebottom is a very good and smart footballer though I concede he isn't in the same class of midfielder as a Pendlebury or Dangerfield.

He is though a very skilled small forward and I'd like to see him used more in this position when the opportunity allows.

Crisp is a solid B grade mid, along with Greenwood.

de Goey and Aish still have a far way to go but are good young depth who should continue to improve next season.

Throw in Wills and Phillips and we are well placed when it comes to midfield grunt and overall depth with outside speed and polish our weakest point and greatest need.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:22 pm

My aim is not very good.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:53 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
Then why did do so bad last year IF we have the Best Midfield in the AFL

Because worst forward line in the AFL.

Next question please.

Mossi Leo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:59 am

^ Laughing there is always a simple explanation to everything! Hopefully a fit Wells, Mayne and Hoskin-Elliott will go a longway to help fix that forward line that hardly fired a shot last year.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:50 pm

Brown26 wrote:
Piedys I think we do have the "best" midfield - when you look at the individual players. But as a team they need time (and perhaps something else) to gel - I'm not sure what. Maybe luck, maybe some sort of chemistry.
Pendelbury, Treloar, Sidebottom, Wells, Adams, Greenwood, Crisp all look good individually but will they gel as a midfield group?
- Ben

Yes Ben, this is the million-dollar question for 2017.

Jezza wrote:
We have a very good set of midfielders in the team, but whether all of them can gel together and work in a Buckley-led game plan remains to be seen. It's promising, but I wouldn't overly emphasise on it when forecasting our predictions for next year.

After all, Champion Data stated in the lead up to the 2016 season that Fremantle had the 2nd best midfield in the competition and in the end they finished in the bottom three.

On the other hand, the Bulldogs were listed as having the 10th best midfield in the competition and they ended up winning the premiership.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-12-29/the-afls-best-midfields-in-2016-where-does-your-team-rank

Some very good points there Jezza [as usual].

RudeBoy wrote:
It's all about the ruck.

And it's "the vibe"; it's "Mabo".... Laughing

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:36 pm

swoop42 wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:

I think you're vastly underselling Treloar.

He got more Brownlow votes than Pendlebury and had a fine first season at his new club.

Adams has taken his game to another level this year with vastly improved kicking also. Injuries are all that held him back this year.

Sidebottom is a very good and smart footballer though I concede he isn't in the same class of midfielder as a Pendlebury or Dangerfield.

He is though a very skilled small forward and I'd like to see him used more in this position when the opportunity allows.

Crisp is a solid B grade mid, along with Greenwood.

de Goey and Aish still have a far way to go but are good young depth who should continue to improve next season.

Throw in Wills and Phillips and we are well placed when it comes to midfield grunt and overall depth with outside speed and polish our weakest point and greatest need.

Swoop42 I rate Treloar very highly but he needs to improve his field kicking to be classed elite IMO
Adams game is very good no doubts but not in the elite class.
Sidey I agree is better suited as a small forward as his field kicking can go from sublime to ordinary in 2 kicks when he tries to be fancy.
In balance we have a good midfield but until we can use the ball better consistently it can't be rated anywhere near the best IMO
I didn't want it to sound negative but the fact is as a team our disposal is very ordinary to often. If we fix that up when sure we can win games against anyone like we've shown but we need to do it every week
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:34 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
It's all about the ruck.

Disagree.

While having a good ruckman is a definite advantage, teams have won premierships with spud ruckmen.

Ball ups around the ground and from the boundary have reduced and the way teams set up nowdays a good midfield can offset a dominant ruckmans work.

The midfield needs to be offensively defensive. Working to lock the ball in the forward line when it's there, working to get it from defence to attack when it's down back, winning contested ball and delivering uncontested ball.

If you have a great midfield who work together, an adequate ruckman and a good back 6 you'll be hard to beat.

We won the flag in 1990 with Daicos and Brown in the two key forward posts and Monkey and Charlie competing well in the ruck without being dominant

The Dogs won this year with 2 part time ruckmen

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:49 pm

stui magpie wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
It's all about the ruck.

Disagree.

While having a good ruckman is a definite advantage, teams have won premierships with spud ruckmen.

Ball ups around the ground and from the boundary have reduced and the way teams set up nowdays a good midfield can offset a dominant ruckmans work.

The midfield needs to be offensively defensive. Working to lock the ball in the forward line when it's there, working to get it from defence to attack when it's down back, winning contested ball and delivering uncontested ball.

If you have a great midfield who work together, an adequate ruckman and a good back 6 you'll be hard to beat.

We won the flag in 1990 with Daicos and Brown in the two key forward posts and Monkey and Charlie competing well in the ruck without being dominant

The Dogs won this year with 2 part time ruckmen

Have to disagree stui. Of course it's not just the ruck, but having a winning ruck enables your team to get their hands first on the ball. I have no doubt that we won in 2010 because we recruited Jolly. While it's true that the Dogs won with part-time rucks, it must be remembered that the Swans themselves had a second rate ruck combination. The main reason for the significant improvement in the Demons this year can largely be accredited to the dominance of Max Gawn in the ruck. The first half of this season saw us getting smashed in the hitouts most weeks, and us losing, whereas in the second half of the season, Grundy began to get on top and we began to win or come very close to winning against top teams.

Ultimately, we need both our rucks as well as our mid fielders to perform well for us if we are to be successful. I'm hopeful we'll see that come to fruition in 2017.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:11 pm

^

Hey, I used to be a ruckman back in the day when didn't need to me 2m+, you're preaching to the converted.

Just that a great ruckman on their own can't carry a team with flaws. Icing on the cake like Jolly was is a different beast.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:24 pm

stui magpie wrote:
^

Hey, I used to be a ruckman back in the day when didn't need to me 2m+, you're preaching to the converted.

Just that a great ruckman on their own can't carry a team with flaws. Icing on the cake like Jolly was is a different beast.

Tru dat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: