Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Winning percentage of games coached

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rickshaw 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:34 am
Post subject: Winning percentage of games coachedReply with quote

Winning percentage of games coached for the first 5 years of their coaching careers.

Paul Roos - 109 games - 63.3%
Nathan Buckley - 110 games - 54.5%
Mick Malthouse - 105 games - 54.3%
Alistaire Clarkson - 115 games- 49.6%
Mark Thompson - 114 games - 48.2%.

Except for PR most of the other top coaches all seemed to struggle in the first 5 years of their coaching careers.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:52 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

That exposes the myth of the doesn't it
September Zeros 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:09 pm

Suggests that it takes time to build successful teams. Especially when you have to dismantle an aging one to start with.

They used to be a happy team at hawthorn.

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:22 pm

Doesn't really prove weather Bucks will be a successful coach or not.

All it suggests is that he had the luxury of inheriting a strong team at the start of his coaching career that most coaches are not afforded at the beginning. On the other hand, Clarkson, Thompson and Malthouse (at Footscray) inherited playing squads at the bottom of the pile and required a rebuild from the beginning.

Also, Clarkson won a premiership in his 4th year of coaching.

That's not to say that Bucks was somewhat unlucky to inherit a great team just past its peak and hadn't experienced the initial downturn that it has now experienced in more recent times.

If Bucks isn't successful within the next 12 to 18 months after a rebuild and rebrand of the squad to his liking, then I think a more definitive answer will be evident about his coaching abilities and his future with us.

Here's hoping he succeeds because the club has given him everything that most coaches could dream of so the faith and patience needs to be reciprocated sooner rather than later.

Rickshaw 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:31 pm

In 2005 Hawthorn had 3 AA players. Luke Hodge also came equal 4th in the Brownlow so he didn't have a completely dysfunctional side.

In his first premiership in 2008 Clarkson had a 80% winning ratio.

He was also the beneficiary of some astute trading/draft selections with the Hawks gaining Roughie, Lewis and Franklin in the 2005 draft.

After his apprenticeship he has certainly become an innovative master coach,
playing in 4 successive GF and winning 3.

Not bad for a club that entered the VFL as the' Mayblooms'.
CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:08 pm

jackcass wrote:
That exposes the myth of the doesn't it

it certainly exposes the myth that "any man can coach a good side"

if any one 6 years old or above living on earth had been told that a coach who inherited a side that went 20-2 then won 2 finals, then managed over the next 5 years to extract the grand total of ONE finals victory and still keep his job - well there are not words for it

tick tock on the clock
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:40 pm

You do understand most coaches take over from sacked coaches?

Why were they sacked?

There team stank.

Ours didn't.

Chris Scott with a winning percentage of 71.8% and one flag is a better comparison to Buckley.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/afl_coaches?sort=p&status=A&type=

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:03 pm

You have to give credit though to Chris Scott. He identified where it all went wrong for the Geelong side in 2010. He broke up our forward press by instructing his players to kick it over our heads from the Geelong backline and go direct to goal. Nathan Buckley soon figured him out and we're had some good contests against Geelong since 2012. I'm hoping we'll go past Geelong in 2017.
Cakewalk 

For a minute there I lost myself , I lost myself

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:04 pm

That percentage has kept going in the same trajectory post year one.

These threads happen when you have little else to hang your hat on.

Krakouer Magic 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:17 pm

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
swoop42 wrote:
You do understand most coaches take over from sacked coaches?

Why were they sacked?

There team stank.

Ours didn't.

Chris Scott with a winning percentage of 71.8% and one flag is a better comparison to Buckley.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/afl_coaches?sort=p&status=A&type=

You have to give credit though to Chris Scott. He identified where it all went wrong for the Geelong side in 2010. He broke up our forward press by instructing his players to kick it over our heads from the Geelong backline and go direct to goal. Nathan Buckley soon figured him out and we're had some good contests against Geelong since 2012. I'm hoping we'll go past Geelong in 2017.

What? Malthouse doesn't get the same injury excuse around here for 2011 as bucks gets for the entirety of his coaching career?

The team was banged up in the finals campaign. Reid and Jolly were cooked. Then you throw in the substitute rule. Right in the game till the 4th qtr. Pretty sure bomber Thompson told cats players to tweak the game plan in 2010 but they didn't buy in.

Also, we returned to a game plan we hadn't used vs cats for a few years in the GF. So Malthouse varied the game style to keep us competitive vs cats in the GF.

I don't think you can seriously praise Bucks for the team winning a few games vs Cats since 2011. I dare say malthouses record would have been better had he stayed on. I seen freo tear cats apart a few times since 2011 by implementing the press we pinched from Lyon
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:34 pm

I accept your argument even though we're never going to agree with each other. Malthouse had two goes to get it right in 2011, even though it was obvious Geelong had our measure, particularly in the last home and away game. Then in the GF he played Reid on Hawkins when Hawkins was on top and didn't move Tarrant on him until it was too late. Our game plan had to change and Buckley did just that, but it seems you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. That seems to be Buckley's fate.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:58 pm

Well, I think you're damned if you (repeatedly) don't make finals. No one would care about trivial differences in winning percentages (try multiplying them out and comparing the numbers) if Collingwood were playing in finals and building.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:13 am

Until Bucks coaches a Premiership, he will be doubted as a coach. Even then some will still want him gone.
Monco Matt Aries

Do it to THEM before THEY do it to YOU

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:55 pm

This is the 'Year Of The Buckley'. He has to elevate the team into finals now, no more going backwards, no more missing the September action, we are Collingwood and we cannot tolerate failure any longer. He may be a favourite son but our patience is wearing thin. Perform or pack your bags. Time is up, make this year count for something. But given we allowed our entire backline except for Reid to leave I fear this will be his last hurrah! Prepare for another season of endless goals from the square.....oh dear!

MONCO: Your life.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:40 pm

If we don't make finals next year he's in strife, but that's not the only consideration.

North limped into the finals this season after a dominating first half of the season and a disgraceful second half. That would see Bucks gone.

On the other hand, if we played consistently good footy all year, had a positive win/loss ratio and just missed finals by a half a % or something, he may get another year.

Time will tell, but by whatever measure you choose, improvement is required.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: