Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Last Tango in Paris and the exploitation of Maria Schneider

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:12 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll wade in with a few more points.

1. I don't think art should be held to a different standard

2. I don't believe it's black and white whether to watch it, it's a personal choice based on the individuals morals, ethics and beliefs. Someone who chooses to watch it is no lesser person than someone who doesn't. Same principle although different situation to someone choosing not to eat meat for ethical reasons or not watch classic westerns from the 50's because horses were injured in the filming

There is also the fact of considering when it happened. I've said before on other subjects that looking at actions taken in the past through the lens of the present distorts the picture.

What would have happened if she had of gone to Police as soon as filming wrapped up for the day and made a complaint? Given the culture at the time I'd say there's no chance it would be considered rape, it may have been borderline sexual assault (at that time, remember), Brando and the director would have been likely to go uncharged and what little media the issue generated would only serve as good publicity for the film and the studio would have probably paid her a sum of money under the counter to go away or, more likely, just blacklisted her from future roles as being overly emotional and difficult to work with.

Is any of that fair and correct in the current day? No, but that was then, this is now.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:17 pm

Do you think I am that person?
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:32 pm

Given his reputation just as likely Brando was bangin her off screen anyway.

There are far far worse and real acts of murder, torture and depravity available on the internet right now so I wouldn't be stressing to much over this simulated sex scene.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:21 pm

^ I read in one article that she was a virgin when she made the film, which makes this story a lot sadder (not to mention kind of bizarre, given the many explicit sex scenes in the film).
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:25 pm

^

it would have certainly raised her eyebrows and blood pressure when someone unexpectedly pushed a stick of butter up against her date while trying to stay in character on a movie shoot.

Also may account for her reaction afterwards, may not it may have just been what it was.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:39 pm

I think the question posed is a little artificial. I've never been much concerned by listening to music written by apologists for totalitarian regimes. It would, I think, be quite different if I was asked, eg, to listen to a score that called for the percussion section to include the sounds of actual people being shot. In the same way, I think I could, at least potentially, distinguish between a film made by a rapist and a film of a rape. One, from where I sit, has the potential to be art, depending upon its content; the other is just evidence.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:28 pm

That's a moral view, though, not a neutral definition. Of course art can be illegal or unethical or draw upon unethical acts; there is nothing inherent in such things that renders a work unartistic. Whether we should tolerate the existence of such art is another question.

I would note here that several important films have depicted or resulted in acts of animal cruelty (several horses died during the making of the original Ben-Hur; Tarkovsky set a cow on fire in Andrei Rublev; the great Czech film Marketa Lazarova features a snake being stabbed). Animal cruelty is against the law. Should such films be banned?

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:52 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
I think the question posed is a little artificial. I've never been much concerned by listening to music written by apologists for totalitarian regimes. ........

Wink I know what you mean.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:00 am

David wrote:
That's a moral view, though, not a neutral definition. Of course art can be illegal or unethical or draw upon unethical acts; there is nothing inherent in such things that renders a work unartistic. Whether we should tolerate the existence of such art is another question.

I would note here that several important films have depicted or resulted in acts of animal cruelty (several horses died during the making of the original Ben-Hur; Tarkovsky set a cow on fire in Andrei Rublev; the great Czech film Marketa Lazarova features a snake being stabbed). Animal cruelty is against the law. Should such films be banned?

Bugger if it's against the law, actual cruelty to anyone including animals for "Art" indeed for a persons (directors) personal indeed ultimately narcissistic gain should be banned as a general rule. Apart from the ethics it shows a remarkably distinct lack of imagination & a narrow mindset that a Director can't see past their own needs to draw audience attention without resorting to cruelty.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:04 am

Sure, but are you saying you'd be happy to see Andrei Rublev taken out of circulation?
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:17 am

David wrote:
Sure, but are you saying you'd be happy to see Andrei Rublev taken out of circulation?

No but I'd dig up Tarkowski & send him to a re-education camp.

Having said that I'm not familiar with his films.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:37 am

Really!? I'm genuinely amazed by that. There possibly has been no greater filmmaker.

https://youtu.be/_8nBWb50g1A

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:59 am

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-12-07/italian-director-clarifies-last-tango-butter-rape-scene/8101718
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:39 am

swoop42 wrote:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-12-07/italian-director-clarifies-last-tango-butter-rape-scene/8101718

So a storm in a butter dish?

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:44 am

watt price tully wrote:
David wrote:

Bugger if it's against the law, actual cruelty to anyone including animals for "Art" indeed for a persons (directors) personal indeed ultimately narcissistic gain should be banned as a general rule. Apart from the ethics it shows a remarkably distinct lack of imagination & a narrow mindset that a Director can't see past their own needs to draw audience attention without resorting to cruelty.

Ben hur was a long time ago, and thankfully, the laws and attitudes have changed a lot. I don't think it's fair to compare now, it was a different time. You can't change it so why judge it. Difference now of course is CGI, it is just not necessary to inflict any kind of cruelty, mental or physical, on any animal anymore. I hate any kind of torture or cruelty in movies, don't need to give the sickos ideas.

And I live by the saying 'I don't care who dies as long as the dog lives! When I watch a movie.

Personally I wouldn't watch the old Ben hur or the last tango in Paris, I just don't like the acting styles in many old movies. Rear window the acception. And I don't have a hankering to watch it again!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: