Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Jake Niall (Fox Footy) - History is repeating at Collingwood

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJ23 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:15 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

mattys123 wrote:
swoop42 wrote:
Quote:
Should Collingwood continue to revisit past patterns, it will replace Buckley with a brand name outsider, a proven commodity — in the same way that Malthouse succeeded Shaw. The Pies have never undertaken what rival clubs call ‘’an exhaustive process’’ to uncover the next Clarkson or Beveridge. It’s see coach, get coach.

This culture is unlikely to change

If required at the end of 2017 I hope it does.

Well unless Clarkson, Longmire or Beveridge are available.

Wink

I'd love to see us take a risk on an untried young coach next season but its one thing that both Niall and Caro have right, we dont have a history of doing that.

I expect Paul Roos to be at Collingwood in some capacity next year, and of course Ed and co will push for him to be senior coach, at least for a few years.

I'd be fine with that too, I've never got this thing that coaches get too old too quick. Most of the best US sports coaches are in their 60s, even their early 70s. Roos would be 54 in 2018, well within what I would consider the prime age for coaches world wide.

Its got to the point now where I'll be dissapointed if we dont get Roos or someone of that calibre.

Ummmm, Wasnt Buckley and untried young coach ??

mattys123 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:18 pm

MJ23 wrote:
mattys123 wrote:
swoop42 wrote:
Quote:
Should Collingwood continue to revisit past patterns, it will replace Buckley with a brand name outsider, a proven commodity — in the same way that Malthouse succeeded Shaw. The Pies have never undertaken what rival clubs call ‘’an exhaustive process’’ to uncover the next Clarkson or Beveridge. It’s see coach, get coach.

Wink

I'd love to see us take a risk on an untried young coach next season but its one thing that both Niall and Caro have right, we dont have a history of doing that.

I expect Paul Roos to be at Collingwood in some capacity next year, and of course Ed and co will push for him to be senior coach, at least for a few years.

I'd be fine with that too, I've never got this thing that coaches get too old too quick. Most of the best US sports coaches are in their 60s, even their early 70s. Roos would be 54 in 2018, well within what I would consider the prime age for coaches world wide.

Its got to the point now where I'll be dissapointed if we dont get Roos or someone of that calibre.

Ummmm, Wasnt Buckley and untried young coach ??
Yes, but like when we appointed Shaw we didn't do a proper search to find the right candidate.

Ive said all along the succession plan was the right thing to do, heck we probably dont win the 2010 flag without it, but the way we went about choosing the succesor was completely wrong.

At least if Bucks is replaced at seasons end we will do a proper search this time, well unless we just appoint Roos straight away..
Sensible Jay 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:46 pm

"History repeats itself because no one was listening the first time."
Anonymous

Please note my surprise of Collingwood's decline post-2012. There are many factors at play but one of them, I believe, is not Big Ed. His antics are sometimes cringe-worthy but he's not to blame.

Unless I'm mistaken, since 2013, our team strategy focus upon a fast, attacking brand of football. This is great to watch, at our best, and will win us a few games. However, we lack a solid defensive structure and strategy. I believe there is no coincidence between the departure of key backmen and this point.

After watching a couple of games of the 90's, I observed, under Tony Shaw, they followed the same game style and seemed to fall into the same problems. At their best, damn exciting to watch. At their worst, unwatchable.

How is to blame? I don't know all the inner-workings of the club, so, I can only judge 'em by what I see. I know who not to blame: the coach, team staff, or the players. They are putting their best that they can give out there in the arena. On the other hand, I believe placing Pendlebury as captain was their first mistake. Pendles is my favourite player to watch, hands-down. However, I think he's trying too much. If you ask me, I like the idea of giving the captaincy to a key defensive post or forward. They have a clear view of the bigger picture. It's hard for a midfielder to have that. Although, there are notable exceptions, of course (Bucks, Rose, Voss, Hird). My pick for captain if Pendles were to step down would be: Darcy Moore. Surprising? Yes! However, he seems to me a natural leader who reads the play well.

I believe that the game might have passed Buckley by. His strategy, whilst exciting, has been figured out. Kick to space quickly, beat them on the counter-attack.

Shawy had the same problem. It doesn't matter whether we have the list of the greatest players to have ever played the game. A successful team has successful, tried-and-true processes.

In my opinion, sacking Buckley and chasing a Clarkson or Roos wouldn't work. How likely are either of them keen to want to coach us anyway? I think if Bucks gets sacked next year, we need to chase a defensive-minded coach. We will not win games unless we can hold teams to scores under our score.

Well that's just my opinion anyway.
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:02 pm

Sensible Jay wrote:
"History repeats itself because no one was listening the first time."
Anonymous

Please note my surprise of Collingwood's decline post-2012. There are many factors at play but one of them, I believe, is not Big Ed. His antics are sometimes cringe-worthy but he's not to blame.

Unless I'm mistaken, since 2013, our team strategy focus upon a fast, attacking brand of football. This is great to watch, at our best, and will win us a few games. However, we lack a solid defensive structure and strategy. I believe there is no coincidence between the departure of key backmen and this point.

After watching a couple of games of the 90's, I observed, under Tony Shaw, they followed the same game style and seemed to fall into the same problems. At their best, damn exciting to watch. At their worst, unwatchable.

How is to blame? I don't know all the inner-workings of the club, so, I can only judge 'em by what I see. I know who not to blame: the coach, team staff, or the players. They are putting their best that they can give out there in the arena. On the other hand, I believe placing Pendlebury as captain was their first mistake. Pendles is my favourite player to watch, hands-down. However, I think he's trying too much. If you ask me, I like the idea of giving the captaincy to a key defensive post or forward. They have a clear view of the bigger picture. It's hard for a midfielder to have that. Although, there are notable exceptions, of course (Bucks, Rose, Voss, Hird). My pick for captain if Pendles were to step down would be: Darcy Moore. Surprising? Yes! However, he seems to me a natural leader who reads the play well.

I believe that the game might have passed Buckley by. His strategy, whilst exciting, has been figured out. Kick to space quickly, beat them on the counter-attack.

Shawy had the same problem. It doesn't matter whether we have the list of the greatest players to have ever played the game. A successful team has successful, tried-and-true processes.

In my opinion, sacking Buckley and chasing a Clarkson or Roos wouldn't work. How likely are either of them keen to want to coach us anyway? I think if Bucks gets sacked next year, we need to chase a defensive-minded coach. We will not win games unless we can hold teams to scores under our score.

Well that's just my opinion anyway.

And My Opinon is bring in the old Ewok of War Dennis Pagan he is sick of selling houses in Braybrook!

www.facebook/the hybernators
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:32 pm

mattys123 wrote:
swoop42 wrote:
Quote:

Wink

But would Roo's be Committed as he sounded Happy he was Retiring after Leaving Dee's.

We would probably have to give him Stupid Money to even have a Chance to get him back into Coaching

inxs88 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:29 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
and Here is Caro's Pot Shot

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/geoff-walshs-return-adds-to-the-intrigue-at-collingwood-20161205-gt4jjr.html

She is a sniper of the greatest proportions. Takes pot shots from adrift with no way her victims can respond. she is not:

* On twitter
* Never submits an email reply link like most other journo's
* avoids talk back radio slots on 3AW every week

She sees herself as the "moral conscious" of all thing on and off the field! Hey Caro "stop hiding"!

Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:17 pm

....And she never snipes Richmond
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:28 pm

Bucks5 wrote:
....And she never snipes Richmond

Of Course. the Joke of a Club they are but they never get Caro bashing them like she does Collingwood.

In Fact she always talks up the Tigers Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: