Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Best 22

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:08 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

cityslick1 wrote:
Josh Smith came 7th? in the B&F off 17 or so games... is one of the fittest at the club, and was used by Bucks as an example of the perfect player to coach. He's a monty for Bucks' best 22 imo

Be very interesting to see how Smith goes in 2017. Initially got his opportunity because of injury and we kept losing small-medium defenders throughout the year. I like the kid but I think he has limitations which may see him struggle to get games ahead of guys with pace (Ramsay & Sinclair) or marking strength (Langdon & Scharenberg). Time will tell.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:14 pm

jackcass wrote:
cityslick1 wrote:
Josh Smith came 7th? in the B&F off 17 or so games... is one of the fittest at the club, and was used by Bucks as an example of the perfect player to coach. He's a monty for Bucks' best 22 imo

Be very interesting to see how Smith goes in 2017. Initially got his opportunity because of injury and we kept losing small-medium defenders throughout the year. I like the kid but I think he has limitations which may see him struggle to get games ahead of guys with pace (Ramsay & Sinclair) or marking strength (Langdon & Scharenberg). Time will tell.

Well, based on his training form he's best 22 for me. Since he was entrenched in the team by the end of this season, who is going to replace him in the team?
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:55 pm

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
jackcass wrote:
cityslick1 wrote:

Well, based on his training form he's best 22 for me. Since he was entrenched in the team by the end of this season, who is going to replace him in the team?

There's a maximum 4 small-medium defender spots in the side, occasionally 5 with 1 on the pine. My preferred 4 to kick off 2017 is Howe, Maynard, Langdon, Sinclair/Ramsay. Prefer to have Adams and Varcoe types provide that 5th small defender if needed.

I'd actually prefer to see Howe playing off a wing but the departure of Marsh makes that less likely unless the Sack slots into his role and that won't help Smith's case for a spot in defense.

I think Smith played some of his best footy of a wing, but then he's competing for a spot with the Sidebottom, Varcoe, Elliott, Aish types and I'd prefer any of them ahead of Smith. Probably even WHE eventually.

As I say, I like the kid, but I think his limitations (pace and/or marking) could see him squeezed out. Time will tell.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:37 am

As you say, time will tell if Smith makes it or not, but my take on Smith, is that with fewer interchanges, you want players who run harder and faster for longer period, before they run out of steam and leave the field. There isn't too many players in the team who can run as fast and for as long as Smith, so that makes him best 22 for me. So I don't see it as a skill set comparison between his skills against other players' skills, but rather the value he adds to the team in running and linking up with other players on the field. As for what position he plays on the field, I don't think it matters any more as designated positions on the ground are now redundant. Players either play in the middle, behind the ball, or in front of the ball.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:18 am

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
As you say, time will tell if Smith makes it or not, but my take on Smith, is that with fewer interchanges, you want players who run harder and faster for longer period, before they run out of steam and leave the field. There isn't too many players in the team who can run as fast and for as long as Smith, so that makes him best 22 for me. So I don't see it as a skill set comparison between his skills against other players' skills, but rather the value he adds to the team in running and linking up with other players on the field. As for what position he plays on the field, I don't think it matters any more as designated positions on the ground are now redundant. Players either play in the middle, behind the ball, or in front of the ball.

While I agree in part with the shift from hard and fast positions, there is still a defined grouping of defenders, forwards and mids. They even still cluster into those sub-groups at the breaks with their respective line coaches.

If endurance is your key criteria then there'd be quite a few players behind Phillips in the pecking order. As I say, for his size I think Smith needs to either gain a yard and/or drastically improve his contested marking if he's going to remain in the senior side ahead of others who tick those boxes.
CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:18 pm

Smith should be miles ahead of Sinclair

I'll give 10-1 Sinclair gets in the top 7 of any AFL side's B&F for the rest of his career, unless under Buckley.

Certainly promises to be a fascinating lead up to selection Round 1
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:08 am

I reckon Smith is definitely a handy replacement for Williams and a much better kick, he has to get a little nastier, but definitely does a job on slippery small opposition forwards.

www.facebook/the hybernators
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:12 am

Aren't all handy replacement for Williams and a much better kick he has to get nastier but does a job on slippery small opposition Smith?
mackasmatt 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:17 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
I cant see goldy or white being in the team much next season, I think this new bloke kirby we just picked up may get an early go, he looks ready made. My best team would have to include the likes of treloar, pendles, hoskin Elliott, j Elliott, scharenberg, varcoe, sidey, grundy, de goey, ramsay, Langdon, dunn, crisp, moore, fasolo, keefe, taylor adams, for starters.

Hine has been quoted as saying "Kirby is coming from a long way back", highly doubt he will get a game in 2017 based on fitness.

----------
------------
simon tonna 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:52 pm

grundy is fast emerging into a valuable asset to the cause. he leaps high,
contests for everything, reads the play as good as anyone his size
(see richmond goal 3rd rnd) he really is carving out something pretty
special. no part time ruck can get near the ball in a ruck contest against
him plus he has no problem wearing a few against the freaks in the west.
around the ground against the premier rucks like gawn, jacobs, kreuzer,
and all other emerging big men and there rolls that they play he needs
to account for them all by getting back to help out and start marking the
dam thing everywhere he is.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3   

Jump to: