Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

2017 leadership group

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:14 pm
Post subject: 2017 leadership groupReply with quote

With the retirement of Caff Brown moving on there will be at least 2 changes on our leadership group.

I'm expecting there to be more (looking at how we have changed several other facets)
Pendles will stay on as captain his our best player and has been learning on the job so to speak and has improved year on year.
I think Adams will also stay on a he's a point of difference from Pendles as he's very vocal and closer to the average of the group.
Sidey I think will be gone only because he's to similar to Pendles in he isn't overly vocal and he plays in around the midfield.
I think we will add experience to th group and I see the likes of Reid Howe being in the mix from the back line.
I can't see us gifting Wells or Mayne a position simply due to age or experience so we might have to go with younger leaders looking forward to future which would fit in with our trading drafting strategy.

The likes of Treloar Grundy Moore all look to have leadership qualities which may be worth while in investing in now.
For mine Adams Trelaor Moore seem the most likely future captains among the group with several others showing good positive signs on being capable leaders.

With our list being young and looking to the future this season would be a great opportunity to give some younger players responsibility for leading and showing there long term ambitions

Only a personal thought but given the amount of changes on the list and the loss of so much experience it seems the most likely time to move forward
MJ23 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:19 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Pendles
Adams
Sidey
will stay

Id guess Inclusions to be from :

Treloar
Moore

What's missing is a back - I think this would have come from Langdon if he wasn't injured for most of last year
Otherwise maybe Goldy.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:34 pm

Isn't it funny, I don't see Treloar as a leader. Likely to become a great player so it's not a slight on him, just doesn't seem to be in his makeup.

Marsh was the guy I'd pinned my hopes on but now that he's gone I'd suggest that Scharenberg and Langdon are the next 2 in line. Moore's time will come but I'd prefer he just focus on his footy for now.

Of the new guys, Mayne would get the nod.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:15 pm

The role of leaders, especially the captain, has changed significantly over the years. Traditionally, the captain was the on field warrior who led by example and inspired those around him into battle. For mine, Tuddy, Tony Shaw and Maxy and Millane (who would have been our next captain) all epitomised the on field warrior leaders.

Nowadays, I sense that leadership off the field, particularly in the gym and at training, is almost as important as match day leadership. Leaders set the tone for professionalism, commitment to training and all round preparation. They also need to be good speakers, being the public face of the team. Think Buckley, Pendles and Treloar.

Personally, I'd like us to try to marry these sets of character traits, and even if we can't find a player who has them all, we should select a group of leaders who, in combination, have these traits. So I'd be looking at a mixture of professionalism and mongrel, perhaps a leadership group of Pendles, Adams, Moore, Treloar and De Goey. In truth, I've never really rated Pendles as a leader, despite him clearly being our best player. Being old school, I prefer the tough, hard, warrior types like Adams. However, Pendles deserves to continue in the role, as long as he is surrounded by others with some more mongrel.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:14 pm

Pendlebury all the way for me. Great captain and leader.
Adams - inspirational on the field. I just worry about his ability to avoid injury in actual games. Needs to protect himself.
Sidey - Very popular, leads by example. You don't have to be vocal on the field.

Then:
Treloar - Exudes confidence on the field. Natural leader.
Moore - Popular, intelligent. Just age against him at this point.
Howe - We need a leader from the backline and I don't see who else we have that is popular and leads by example
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:17 pm

jackcass wrote:
Isn't it funny, I don't see Treloar as a leader. Likely to become a great player so it's not a slight on him, just doesn't seem to be in his makeup.

Marsh was the guy I'd pinned my hopes on but now that he's gone I'd suggest that Scharenberg and Langdon are the next 2 in line. Moore's time will come but I'd prefer he just focus on his footy for now.

Of the new guys, Mayne would get the nod.

Marsh was the guy I saw as a like for like replacement for Nick Maxwell. Sadly not to be.
Tubewayarmy 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:15 pm

For me Reidy needs to be part of the leadership group, love to have someone in the backline barking out instructions...
mattdally 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:50 pm

Captain Reg Grundy thanks
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:02 pm

Yep I reckon Reg should get a go on the leadership clothesline.

www.facebook/the hybernators
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:28 pm

Isn't the leadership group largely selected by the players?

They spend a lot more time with each other and are in a better position to judge who is a leader and who isn't than any of us, so I'm happy to leave it to them.

Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:58 pm

Stui- the voice of reason
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:18 pm

^

Sorry, I forgot to take my work skin off . Embarassed Wink

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:27 pm

In: Langdon, Langdon and Langdon.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:17 am

In Langdon.

Out Langdons last hair cut.

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:29 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
In: Langdon, Langdon and Langdon.

P4S we can't have the leadership group full of your love children come on man.
I actually thought of Langdon but went against him only due to not wanting him to be under to much pressure.
He's coming back from injury missing the majority of 2016 and will be competing with a few others for the same spot.
Logically I thought he would have enough on his plate.
For me leaders need to be assured of knowing they have a starting spot (form permitting) and we need a variety of leaders not all cut form the same clothe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: