Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Taking Risks in 2016 National/Rookie Draft

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:25 pm
Post subject: Taking Risks in 2016 National/Rookie DraftReply with quote

I really think this is 1st time for awhile we took a Few Risks on Raw Players.

The ones I talk about are:

Kirby
McCarthy
Lynch
Kirby has ton of Natural Talent but question mark on his Fitness and Commitment. He could come a Gun Small Mid/Forward but could not live up to Expectations.

McCarthy is a Very Raw Kid with Amazing Athleticism. He to me is the Biggest Boom or Bust Pick. He could come a Very Good AFL Player or could be De-Listed in a Year. Playing only a Handful Games means he really needs to get his Feel for the Game and That could take a Year or 2.

Lynch is not really Risky as pretty much 4th Round(Pick 51) in the Rookie Draft. Seems to Move Well around the Ground and Good Tap Work. But only played 2 years of Footy so still long way to go.

Do you like the Club taking a Punt on a Few Kids with High End Upside?

I don't mind it and Espically in the Rookie Draft

Lazza 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:40 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I LOVE risk taking by the club with rookies and last draft picks. Always much better to have tried and failed than not tried at all Dave. Everything to gain. Absolutely great stuff by Collingwood and the recruiting team. Brilliant work in taking a risk.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:05 pm

The real risk was in clearing Witts, Gault, Frost, Cloke and Brown off our list when our stocks of other talls on our main list was already very thin. Having taken those hard decisions, I think we have done very well in securing two young ruckmen who look like they have plenty of upside (McCarthy and Lynch), a young swing man in McLarty who can play both ends of the ground, two experienced defenders (Dunn and Schade) who are good marks and use the ball well, two crumbing forwards in Kirby and Daicos and a good contested ball winner in Callum Brown. That's in addition to the experienced Mayne and Wells.

We lose a lot with Swanny's decision to retire, but we haven't really lost a lot from our other departures, who mostly failed to have any impact on the field. So I view the trade period as a huge win for Collingwood. Our fortunes in 2017 will again depend on keeping a healthy team on the park, but I can't see us challenging for a flag before 2018.
1892_ 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:06 pm
Post subject: Re: Taking Risks in 2016 National/Rookie DraftReply with quote

Dave The Man wrote:
I really think this is 1st time for awhile we took a Few Risks on Raw Players.

The ones I talk about are:

Kirby
McCarthy
Lynch
Kirby has ton of Natural Talent but question mark on his Fitness and Commitment. He could come a Gun Small Mid/Forward but could not live up to Expectations.

McCarthy is a Very Raw Kid with Amazing Athleticism. He to me is the Biggest Boom or Bust Pick. He could come a Very Good AFL Player or could be De-Listed in a Year. Playing only a Handful Games means he really needs to get his Feel for the Game and That could take a Year or 2.

Lynch is not really Risky as pretty much 4th Round(Pick 51) in the Rookie Draft. Seems to Move Well around the Ground and Good Tap Work. But only played 2 years of Footy so still long way to go.

Do you like the Club taking a Punt on a Few Kids with High End Upside?

I don't mind it and Espically in the Rookie Draft

With the picks we had I'm glad we took risks and drafted for upside rather than going safe. Better taking a chance of a higher ceiling than someone who's going to be role player at best. Out of all our draftees I'd say Mackie, Schade and perhaps Brown were our only safe picks.
didick 

didick

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:54 pm

Yep, safe is no guarantee. See Freeman, Shazza and BenKen.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:01 pm

Considering our list, we've drafted well in safe and risk.

Pick up free agents, little risk except cash

Draft for needs with the main draft, a tall back and not getting the Holden centre burnt down

Get a bit funky, with the late pick in Kirby. High reward potentially, low pick so low risk.

Then some talls with the rookie picks, low risk high reward, potentially.

Low draft picks and the rookie list are where you can take a punt on project players and we weren't the only ones to go tall in the rookie draft.

Overall, good selections considering what we had to work with.

Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:04 pm

What about our first pick last year -Sier
- booted out of the Northern Knights for being unfit while playing age footy
Hasn't exactly come on in leaps and bounds in year 1.

Our first pick this year McLarty also missed most of the season with injury I gather.

On balance, more speculation than not in our drafting in recent times I think.

inxs88 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:34 pm

Albert Parker wrote:

Our first pick this year McLarty also missed most of the season with injury I gather.

Booted out of the Northern Knights?? Can you back that up with evidence??

Bucks2014 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:44 pm

inxs88 wrote:
Albert Parker wrote:

Booted out of the Northern Knights?? Can you back that up with evidence??

I remember reading an article last year he was cut from the under 15's Knights squad. He was then invited back in 2015 and played a couple of games. The Knights followed his progress, so to say he was booted is a bit of a stretch.

I think we'll see real development in Sier next year. He looks in terrific physical shape.

For what it's worth I also think Mclarty will be a ripper and expect to see him play games next year. Just sounds like a level headed kid, wanting to do whatever is asked of him. Terrific attitude, sounds so easy going and can play footy.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:50 pm

Lazza wrote:
I LOVE risk taking by the club with rookies and last draft picks. Always much better to have tried and failed than not tried at all Dave. Everything to gain. Absolutely great stuff by Collingwood and the recruiting team. Brilliant work in taking a risk.

precisely comrade. Very Happy

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:45 am

Would anyone say Tim Golds was a risk?

If your answer is 'yes', then you see how it's done when the risk does not work out. You f them off and take on a new rookie.

If your answer is 'no', then you see how it's done when the non-risk does not work out. You f them off and take on a new rookie.

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:38 am

Not sure who said it --maybe Buckley tho cannot remember but anyways it was

"We need to leave no stone unturned in our quest for sucsess" so maybe this is the plan

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:18 am

^^^ As compared with, say, "We don't really want to do everything we can and we're happy enough if we're not too successful"?
MJ23 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:21 am

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
The real risk was in clearing Witts, Gault, Frost, Cloke and Brown off our list when our stocks of other talls on our main list was already very thin. Having taken those hard decisions, I think we have done very well in securing two young ruckmen who look like they have plenty of upside (McCarthy and Lynch), a young swing man in McLarty who can play both ends of the ground, two experienced defenders (Dunn and Schade) who are good marks and use the ball well, two crumbing forwards in Kirby and Daicos and a good contested ball winner in Callum Brown. That's in addition to the experienced Mayne and Wells.

We lose a lot with Swanny's decision to retire, but we haven't really lost a lot from our other departures, who mostly failed to have any impact on the field. So I view the trade period as a huge win for Collingwood. Our fortunes in 2017 will again depend on keeping a healthy team on the park, but I can't see us challenging for a flag before 2018.

Dont forget WHE. Living in syd I have seen just about every GWS home game from their inception. Will was one of the first stand out players. Im not sure exactly what transpired last year except that he was injured early and it was openly spoken about him leaving the club and coming back to Melbourne. With the talent on GWS list I wouldn't be playing him either if I were them.
I watched him closely in the two NEAFL finals he played. He was a class above, looked to be physically harder at the contest and seemed to do whatever he wanted. He could be a real smokey this year.
In saying that, we need to let him settle into the team, system and environment. Accept he may be a little quiet early and let him find his feet - there are enough examples recently in rushing to judgment on new players.

Lazza 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:58 am

Albert Parker wrote:

Every single pick in the bloody draft is a speculative pick dude.

But yeah, let's see the only possible negative in anything the clubs does.

Great thinking and club support, well done.......Shocked Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Shocked

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: