Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Jake Niall (Fox Footy) - History is repeating at Collingwood

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:33 pm
Post subject: Jake Niall (Fox Footy) - History is repeating at CollingwoodReply with quote

Quote:
COLLINGWOOD began this decade as it did the 1990s: with a premiership that was won in October following a drawn final.

In the 90s, the premiership prompted talk of an imminent dynasty. But the Magpies steadily lost ground. Eventually, their seasoned premiership coach an outsider who had been brought to repair an insular organisation handed over to a favourite son, a decorated former captain, who had little coaching experience and oversaw further decline.

History repeats at Collingwood.

In the 90s, Collingwood had an outspoken president (Allan McAlister), who had rescued the club from financial and football disaster and, for a short time, re-established its pre-eminence in the competition. A few years after the premiership, the presidents intemperate comments (on Nicky Winmar) landed him in strife.

History repeats at Collingwood.

During the 90s, as the team declined, the Magpies purchased a young, highly sought star midfielder from a team in the northern states amid controversy about his recruitment and bitterness from rival clubs that missed out. The AFL would investigate the deal, but did not take any action.

In the 90s, Graeme Allan and Neil Balme both served as heads of the Collingwood football department. Then, as in recent times, Allan enjoyed a close relationship with the president, while Balme was twice removed from that position (pushed sideways the second time).

Its Groundhog decade at Collingwood.

Full article - http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/history-is-repeating-at-collingwood-as-magpies-follow-blueprint-of-1990s-writes-jake-niall/news-story/e825426e1f6554272f4ae9960f3cfd69

Discuss.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:48 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a bad read & the patterns are pretty good & worrying that he's identified. He could have gone further in terms of the comparison with inadvertent foot in mouth comments by the presidents, he chose not too.

At the same time I don't think he's analysed the differences too much yet did explain the difference of spending & the negative impact that equalization has had on Collingwood.

He's listed the changes / differences in some ways but has not really placed any value on those differences.

The big "if" for us is as usual "injuries" - like all teams.

neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:49 pm

Guy is a halfwit in the 90's players were kept past their use by date simply because they won a GF this has not happened
MacAllister nearly bankrupt the club Eddie has done the opposite

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:03 pm

Really not history repeating. Matthews continued for a few years after the 1990 premiership and handed over to Tony Shaw when the team was in decline. Buckley inherited the team as part of a succession plan when the team was on top, from a coach who was past his prime. Matthews was stale at the time he handed over the reins to Tony Shaw and just needed a year or two away from the game before he came back to coaching refreshed. Also, Tony Shaw and Nathan Buckley have very different coaching styles. When Buckley was recruited as a player he had just won the rising star award and the thinking was he alone would save the team (which no one player can do). The recruitment of Treloar was part of a strategy to bring a number of quality players into the team. Jake Niall is clutching at straws in my opinion to drum up a story which doesn't exist.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:21 pm

Similar but different. He does point out the differences in the situations but focuses more on the cosmetic similarities.

If you want to look hard enough you can find these sort of patterns in most clubs

Rush Stand Wing 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:22 pm

Matthews had class and humility. Malthouse liked the sound of his own voice way too much. No comparison.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:43 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Similar but different. He does point out the differences in the situations but focuses more on the cosmetic similarities.

If you want to look hard enough you can find these sort of patterns in most clubs

Only Similar things are the Names Really. Everything else is Pretty Much Different

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:44 pm

and Here is Caro's Pot Shot

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/geoff-walshs-return-adds-to-the-intrigue-at-collingwood-20161205-gt4jjr.html

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:40 pm

Smile
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:22 pm

I think Jake Niall is clutching at straws here to draw in readers who have nothing to discuss in substance during the off-season because two different eras are never the same.

There's some eery similarities, but there's key differences as well. Not surprised that this click bait piece has arisen, because the comparison to now and the 1990s has been referred to numerous times during the Buckley era.

The biggest difference between the 1990s and 2010s is the fact that Malthouse was replaced at the end of 2011, as opposed to Matthews who remained as coach up until 1995 when he was clearly stale and past his used by date. Secondly, the club started rebuilding much earlier in the 2010s as opposed to the 1990s when it was evident that the rebuild in the 1990s didn't begin until 1997 (seven years after winning the flag).

The 1990s would be similar in this regard if Malthouse was retained up until 2015 and replaced by Buckley from 2016 onwards something which hasn't happened here.

For the 2010s to resemble the 1990s further, Eddie and the board need to go by 2018/2019 and be replaced by our next saviour, the club needs to languish on the bottom until 2020 and our next big coach will be unveiled by the end of 2019 to replace Buckley. We'll see what happens, but hopefully these scenarios don't play out the way it did 20 years before.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:32 pm

Quote:
Should Collingwood continue to revisit past patterns, it will replace Buckley with a brand name outsider, a proven commodity in the same way that Malthouse succeeded Shaw. The Pies have never undertaken what rival clubs call an exhaustive process to uncover the next Clarkson or Beveridge. Its see coach, get coach.

This culture is unlikely to change

If required at the end of 2017 I hope it does.

Well unless Clarkson, Longmire or Beveridge are available.

Wink
MJ23 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:15 am

Dave The Man wrote:
and Here is Caro's Pot Shot

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/geoff-walshs-return-adds-to-the-intrigue-at-collingwood-20161205-gt4jjr.html

Ok, might be just me. Im not a fan and see much of what she writes as a personal opportunity to stitch up those who disagree or offend her.

However this article seems to just ramble on from one thing to another. I mean she wouldn't be out of place writing about JFK conspiracy with the Loch ness monster sighted on the grassy knoll...........

mattys123 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:22 am

swoop42 wrote:
Quote:
Should Collingwood continue to revisit past patterns, it will replace Buckley with a brand name outsider, a proven commodity in the same way that Malthouse succeeded Shaw. The Pies have never undertaken what rival clubs call an exhaustive process to uncover the next Clarkson or Beveridge. Its see coach, get coach.

This culture is unlikely to change

If required at the end of 2017 I hope it does.

Well unless Clarkson, Longmire or Beveridge are available.

Wink

I'd love to see us take a risk on an untried young coach next season but its one thing that both Niall and Caro have right, we dont have a history of doing that.

I expect Paul Roos to be at Collingwood in some capacity next year, and of course Ed and co will push for him to be senior coach, at least for a few years.

I'd be fine with that too, I've never got this thing that coaches get too old too quick. Most of the best US sports coaches are in their 60s, even their early 70s. Roos would be 54 in 2018, well within what I would consider the prime age for coaches world wide.

Its got to the point now where I'll be dissapointed if we dont get Roos or someone of that calibre.
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:57 am

Its hardly the most enlightening article from Niall , but there is a few reasonable observations allegedly.

www.facebook/the hybernators
MJ23 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:10 am

Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: