Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

2016 National Draft Review

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:41 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

When considering the picks we had and the fact that we had two father / sons that we wanted and secured. What do some expect? The other two players have real potential and that is all you can expect with picks of this nature.

You are not going top pick up the next Tom Boyd at pick 50.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:47 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Referring to Collingwood list management decisions as "no brainers" has been officially frowned upon since that expression was used by one of our 2 former 2016 Football Managers in connection with the promotion of Gault to the senior list during the last preseason.

However, was that referring to the decision making or the player concerned ?(with all due respect to Mr Gault - who played one great AFL quarter & who I thought could make it).

Wink

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:48 pm

From Knightmare on big footy (who is now paid for his work apparently through commercial sports media):

McLarty as a bottom ager was among my top few kpps coming into the season and probably would have been top 10 and certainly would have been top 15 for me before this season. Has missed time with injury this year so he is somewhat forgotten. But can take a contested grab. Can play either end. Not super quick or agile but leap ok. Very strong bodied and physically advanced for age.
He's someone I'd look to develop as a key defender and hope to build into someone who can take his intercept marks and win the 1v1 contests.
Has some scope to develop so while not my first choice is not a bad selection.

The Kirby selection late draft doesn't surprise me at all. Good in the TAC Cup but his five and four goal VFL performances will have attracted him to Rendell right away, with Rendell all about those who perform v senior state league competition. Those are pretty great and really rare performances for an u18 prospect. Has talent around the goals and could be the crumbing forward we lack but will need to shed weight and develop AFL conditioning to become that which will be the challenge ahead of him.

ROB 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:59 pm

I don't see a problem with someone with hearing impairment playing at the highest level, we have had umpires participating whose vision is clearly color deceptive challenged as they only seem to award free kicks to players wearing poo and piss colored jumpers.
courtza 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:34 pm

I know nothng about these guys but purely off the highlights Sam and Kayle look the better players
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:04 pm

At least Kirby has already dominated a VFL game.

He's one up on Gault already.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:41 pm

Really happy with the draft. Got a promising KPP who slid from top 10-15 consideration going into 2016 because of injury, got a kid with real X-factor who has dominated at VFL level as a 23rd player despite question marks on his fitness and endurance, and got 2x sons of former legends.

Given we'd invested heavily in this draft to help secure Treloar and Aish last year, we seem to have done quite well. We'll know better in a few years.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:38 pm

Snoop Dog's view of the draft (from big footy)

"
"In a word....thrilled!

Pick 30 was about right for Sam. I had him at #70 I think (and think one of the few that did) and for one am rapt we have him. Gone back and looked at the 2016 vision have of him and its great. On reflection he was always going to go higher. Like Witherden and Simpkin he was going to be judged on his bottom age year. I probably weighted his 7 games which were ok to heavily this year. He really just never got a run at it. Sure you have seen the vision and he is a terrific mark, courageous, can kick it well and is aggressive in his offensive work.

Callum was bid where I thought he would. Had a bit of mail North and Essendon were going to bid on him. 35 was a fair price and Josh was a bit unders as had him in 40's.

Kayle am excited about. Been a long time since we had a player like him and he will be a fan favourite of the VFL watchers real quick. Saw one of his VFL games and he was good. Got real pr*ck in him and loves the defensive side as well. Genuine x factor and no go home risk for him.

........ Brown is an inside mid ball winner / first receiver sort of player who will start forward but push up, Daicos will be a forward, Sam is the young defender and Kayle is going to worry guys when he is 21/22"
"

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:49 pm

Based on what I've been reading about the selections especially from the person who said they knew Kayle Kirby & the commitment he's shown by travelling from Lake Boga to Bendigo to train & play. That is is no mean feat. That is huge IMO. (My ex SIL & BIL both lived in Woorinen South not far from Lake Boga) and that is a distance to travel. Many of us have been hoping for a player with some x factor & well lets hope he has it.

McLarty fills a need & on the highlights looks a great pick-up.

I hope it works out for Brown & Daicos & look forward to their contributions to the club. I just wish we can put a stop to comparisons with their fathers & just enjoy them for what they bring to the club.

I'm gunna be looking fwd to some VFL games next year Very Happy

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:39 pm

I'm contented, we did pretty well, yeh, I'm a happy camper.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: