Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Australia day to be celebrated on the 28th Jan.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:08 am
Post subject: Re: Australia day to be celebrated on the 28th Jan.Reply with quote

Bucks5 wrote:
Is this Policital correctness gone mad?

OK, so some indigenous people refer to it as Invasion day, but the public holiday is to celebrate the landing of the first fleet on THE DATE IT HAPPENED.

Actually, this is a relatively recent thing:

http://australiaday.com.au/studentresources/history.asp

Quote:
From its inception, the NSW council encouraged 'grass roots' celebrations, working primarily with the 177 local government authorities in the promotion of the celebration of Australia Day. However, the Australia Day public holiday was still held on the Monday closest to 26 January and to the broad community it was just another holiday.

It took until 1994 for united Australia-wide celebrations to take place on 26 January and national celebrations have been held on the actual day since that year.

So, if anything, the Fremantle council are only returning to the long-held tradition of holding Australia Day a few days early or late. But I doubt that slightly adjusting the date will solve this problem; if you're celebrating it on the 28th instead of the 26th you're still commemorating the same anniversary more or less.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:47 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Pies4shaw wrote:
Except, I suppose, that the High Court (hardly - and let's be quite blunt - a left-leaning institution) has expressly found that old colonial nonsense to be legal nonsense, as well.

Which, of course, was the point of mentioning Cooper v Stuart. In that case, the Privy Council in 1889 peddled Stui's line. It's not been the law of our country (although it probably remains the law of the other country that, in the respectful view of quite a few of our indigenous fellow-Australians, perpetrated the invasion and genocide) since 1992.

That's a very strong term there, Genocide. I don't think it's anywhere near accurate as a term, but I guess we all have our own opinions.

in regard to Cooper vs Stuart, I accept that Wiki isn't the most reliable source but it seems to disagree with you. The Privy council did peddle that line and it seems it was accepted for nearly a century.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terra_nullius

As I said in my point though, in case your clerk misunderstood when reading ot to you, was that Terra Nullius was the principle used at the time, which was before we actually had laws, and it was the accepted law in Europe.

Hindsight may change the legality, not the intent.

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:44 pm

http://www.australiaday.vic.gov.au/about/timeline-2/
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:36 pm
Post subject: Australia Day 2023Reply with quote

Australia Day, one of Australia’s most divisive days is about to dawn. Each year the same 'change the date' debate rolls around, along with the jingoistic dog whistling by the media, seemingly working against education around the subject, and with it the hubristic alacrity of those wanting to 'save the date', tensions will again bubble to the surface.
None of this assists in progressing the dialogue in the right direction.

Australia Day 2023, what exactly are we celebrating? The fact remians, more and more Australians have, and continue to change their minds over whether this date is an appropriate time to celebrate ‘Australia Day’. I'll be first to admit, I've certainly changed my view of the day, and would be open to changing 'Australia Day', to one more suitable, and inclusive.

If it was to be moved, what date might be considered?
The Commonwealth Electoral Act 1962 received assent on 21 May 1962, whereby it granted all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people the option to enrol and vote in federal elections.
It was not until 1984 that Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people gained full equality with other electors under the Commonwealth Electoral Amendment Act 1983. This Act made enrolling to vote at federal elections compulsory for Indigenous Australians.
Perhaps while the movement around an Ingigenous Voice in Parliament might not be the time to advance this debate, but it too might be the date that gets pushed to the front, if indeed the date is changed at all.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:36 pm

I've come around to changing the date too. The question is, to what?

Ideally it should be something that can have meaning for all Australians, much as the Public Holiday in Summer is welcome.

A good date would be the date that Australian Citizenship became a thing, because prior to that all Australians were considered British Citizens.

Unfortunately the Nationality and Citizenship Act 1948 was passed and came into effect on Australia Day, 26 January 1949.

The date of Federation would also be good, when Australia became an actual country, but that's 1 January

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:31 pm
Post subject: Re: Australia Day 2023Reply with quote

LaurieHolden wrote:

Australia Day 2023, what exactly are we celebrating?

Well there is the bringing of civilisation to this country which laid the foundation for everything we now have.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:03 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
LaurieHolden wrote:

Well there is the bringing of civilisation to this country which laid the foundation for everything we now have.

Well said. It's a become a day of self loathing for half the country now.

The date will inevitably change at some point. When it does, I won't be celebrating or marking the occasion.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:28 pm

Jezza wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:
LaurieHolden wrote:

The date will inevitably change at some point. When it does, I won't be celebrating or marking the occasion.

Self loathing indeed. What utter tosh. Don’t celebrate that’s fine. In my view when Aborigines or First Nations People were counted as citizens should mark Australia Day.

January 26 is a relatively recent phenomenon for celebration. However to mark the British contribution to Australia should also be celebrated but at another time than tomorrow.

Australia needs to come to terms with its racist past including acknowledging slavery. Apart from a voice a treaty is needed.

In the 1930’s in Sydney they had a reenactment of the British first contact in coming to Australia as a celebration. At the same First Nations people marched against that day protesting about the treatment by whites to Aborigines. Invasion day protests are not a recent phenomenon.

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:20 pm

Jezza wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:
LaurieHolden wrote:

Yep, if they want to celebrate indigenous culture then just make one of the dozens of indigenous days already in existence a public holiday.

I see some people also want public holidays for Chinese New Year and Ramadan and other events so why not? Let’s keep everybody happy and the Greens can all go to work today and not accept any public holiday loading.

It’s gotten so ridiculous we weren’t even allowed to say the office is closed for the Australia Day public holiday 🙄🙄
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:11 pm

Why does it need to commemorate anything?

It’s a public holiday, preferably on the most unbearably hot day ofthe year, either that or in Melbourne, a day that switches seasons at least 5 times, for people to wave our flag (yes ours is on the balcony!).

Change the date, keep the name, but make it about inclusion, there is nothing more Australian than our indigenous people.

Start the day as many did with a dawn celebration of the First Nation people.
Wear a black red and yellow top with your aussie flag boardies,

No sorries, no LGBT flag waving, no him against her, scrap the Australian of the year farce.

Make it about people, what ever $$%^%%$ colour they are

I’ve read all the but but but on the date, I don’t know I don’t care, for what ever reason a few million people are hurting because of the date. Minority? Fuckng and why id that, it’s nothing to be proud of. I’m not saying wahoo to my English ancestors for the nazi crimes they committed, it’s embarrassing. It’s also done, and can’t be undone. You can’t ever make it better,

Do a proper referendum or whatever with people who really care about it, have nothing to gain monetarily, ie no politicians,

Someone called me out here long ago for being a mind changer to go along with popular opinion! Balls to that. If you never change your mind on anything your a fool standing still. And as much as I think I’m always right, nobody is ever always right!

I changed my mind. Why? Because I’m empathetic enough to realise people are hurting, not making it up, really hurting. I can’t carry on like a bogan when I’m hurting someone. How is the 14th? Why? Why not? It’s still mind numbing oh hot!

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:38 pm

Lidia Thorpe says

"A war that was declared on our people more than 200 years ago,” Senator Thorpe said in an extraordinary speech, in which she said black women were still being raped by “them”."

“That war has never ended in our country against our people. They are still killing us. They are still stealing our babies. They are killing our men. They are still raping our women,” she yelled to the crowd."

Uncle Thorpe said

“Get rid of the State, the Crown and The Commonwealth,” he said, to a loud applause.

“We don’t want to be assimilated no constitution as written by white people.”

Divisive much? It seems aboriginals will only be happy when white people are evicted from "their" land.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:07 pm

Extremist idiots come in every colour and creed, they (fortunately) aren't reflective of the majority.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:15 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
Lidia Thorpe says

"A war that was declared on our people more than 200 years ago,” Senator Thorpe said in an extraordinary speech, in which she said black women were still being raped by “them”."

“That war has never ended in our country against our people. They are still killing us. They are still stealing our babies. They are killing our men. They are still raping our women,” she yelled to the crowd."

Uncle Thorpe said

“Get rid of the State, the Crown and The Commonwealth,” he said, to a loud applause.

Divisive much? It seems aboriginals will only be happy when white people are evicted from "their" land.

While I don’t support her Re the voice most of what she said is accurate regarding First Nations people. Next.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:24 pm

watt price tully wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:
Lidia Thorpe says

Uncle Thorpe said

While I don’t support her Re the voice most of what she said is accurate regarding First Nations people. Next.

Really? Still be raped by "them" and babies being stolen?
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:20 pm

^
First Nations children are overly represented in being removed from families in Victoria at least, I can't say in other states, despite the understandable reluctance to do so.

That's got nothing to do with deliberate government policy to remove Indigenous kids and everything to do with the mess the parents are in.

so yeah. babies are still being "stolen", but better that than dead.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7   

Jump to: