Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Australia day to be celebrated on the 28th Jan.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:20 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Describe your surroundings.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:30 am

Mugwump wrote:
No, not equating reform with revolution - Conservarives have often been in the vanguard of reform. Erasing important events from your nation's history is not reform, however. It is very very reminiscent of the formulation of 1984 - who controls the past controls the present, and who controls the preeent. Bottoms the future. etc. As I said, those who want to experiment with the future hate the past because the ordinary natural human attachment to it forms a kind of popular oppositional memory. In any event, the really key point remains the irrefutable one that the greatest influence on the successful look,feel and political nature of modern Australia is the British settlement commencing in1788. It takes a lot of propaganda to whitewash that reality. Fortunately the Australian people still seem attached to their real history.

Orwell's formulation was a simple statement of fact, of the way things are in all societies. We are not talking about the erasure of history in any way, shape or form, however; one presumes that 1788 will still be taught in school textbooks! Likewise, any political action (of which maintaining the status quo is very much one) is a form of "experimenting with the future". I'm not sure why you're suggesting that these are things only people of certain political ideologies or agendas are trying to do.

I don't necessarily disagree with your assertion of the fundamental importance of 1788 on shaping Australia as we know it today (though a lot has happened in the intervening period, needless to say would we still point to 1066 or the earlier Saxon or Roman conquests as the key moment in British history?). Whether it should be celebrated as our national day is, naturally, an entirely separate question. We don't get to choose our history, but we do get to choose which parts of it we especially cherish.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:56 am

Mugwump wrote:
No, not equating reform with revolution - Conservarives have often been in the vanguard of reform. Erasing important events from your nation's history is not reform, however. It is very very reminiscent of the formulation of 1984 - who controls the past controls the present, and who controls the preeent. Bottoms the future. etc. As I said, those who want to experiment with the future hate the past because the ordinary natural human attachment to it forms a kind of popular oppositional memory. In any event, the really key point remains the irrefutable one that the greatest influence on the successful look,feel and political nature of modern Australia is the British settlement commencing in1788. It takes a lot of propaganda to whitewash that reality. Fortunately the Australian people still seem attached to their real history.

That is really overstating it in my view & where the reactionaries get it all wrong. The section I've highlighted is gilding the lily just a smidgen & smacks of polemics. "The Australian people" indeed Mugwump Laughing

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:27 am

Lets just blow the Earth up and be done with it.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:40 am

What day did Russell Morris record "The Real Thing"?
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:41 pm

watt price tully wrote:
Mugwump wrote:

That is really overstating it in my view & where the reactionaries get it all wrong. The section I've highlighted is gilding the lily just a smidgen & smacks of polemics. "The Australian people" indeed Mugwump Laughing

I'm sure it is overstating it in your view. Would you mind explaining the sneering last line in your post , though ? I would have thought it obvious that celebrations of Australia Day on 26 January are as enthusiastic today as ever.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:12 pm

David wrote:
Mugwump wrote:

Orwell's formulation was a simple statement of fact, of the way things are in all societies. We are not talking about the erasure of history in any way, shape or form, however; one presumes that 1788 will still be taught in school textbooks! Likewise, any political action (of which maintaining the status quo is very much one) is a form of "experimenting with the future". I'm not sure why you're suggesting that these are things only people of certain political ideologies or agendas are trying to do.

I don't necessarily disagree with your assertion of the fundamental importance of 1788 on shaping Australia as we know it today (though a lot has happened in the intervening period, needless to say would we still point to 1066 or the earlier Saxon or Roman conquests as the key moment in British history?). Whether it should be celebrated as our national day is, naturally, an entirely separate question. We don't get to choose our history, but we do get to choose which parts of it we especially cherish.

You are not erasing the event as a day, but y abolishing its observance you are presumably imposing a narrative of shame and disgrace upon it, and for the reasons I have explained above, I think that is an act which forgets the defining elements that emerged specifically from that settlement. I think it is interesting that the accommodative and constructive suggestion of a day to acknowledge and appreciate indigenous Australians is met instead with a demand to ban the observance of a day marking the epochal British settlement. It's a strange totalist mindset, imposing a very simplistic narrative on our history.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:13 pm

Mugwump wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
Mugwump wrote:

I'm sure it is overstating it in your view. Would you mind explaining the sneering last line in your post , though ? I would have thought it obvious that celebrations of Australia Day on 26 January are as enthusiastic today as ever.

No sneering whatsoever & I'm surprised at ur interpretation of what I posted. It read to me as being a tad gradiose if not presumptuous as though you were speaking on behalf of the " people of Australia" - like a politician.

I was just waiting for you to drape yourself with the Australian flag 😜

From my iPhone - (I note this in case of accidental typos)

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:38 pm

^ fair enough, thanks for explaining and yes I can see how it might have sounded. I bridled as I suspected you were questioning my australianness just because I live abroad. I can see that you were not. Thanks
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:55 pm

Mugwump wrote:
David wrote:

You are not erasing the event as a day, but y abolishing its observance you are presumably imposing a narrative of shame and disgrace upon it, and for the reasons I have explained above, I think that is an act which forgets the defining elements that emerged specifically from that settlement. I think it is interesting that the accommodative and constructive suggestion of a day to acknowledge and appreciate indigenous Australians is met instead with a demand to ban the observance of a day marking the epochal British settlement. It's a strange totalist mindset, imposing a very simplistic narrative on our history.

Again, this is such extreme language: "imposing a narrative"; "ban"; "totalist". Is anyone proposing that you be legally blocked from firing up the barbecue and singing the anthem on the 26th, if that date still holds resonance for you in the future? Was a narrative of shame imposed on God Save the Queen when it ceased to be our national anthem?

I dare say that, once it has ceased to be our national day, the anniversary of the landings will be treated much the same in its future as it is now: as a day with important but problematic associations. If anything, it might liberate it from some of the angst and negativity that surround it right now.

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:24 pm

Mugwump wrote:
Morrigu wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
As for being ruled by the Spanish, Morrigu, was it the tapas, the Rioja, the successive military coups or the Fascism that first attracted you ? Wink.

Laughing Laughing

Hmmm initially I think it was the devilishly handsome men speaking a musical language - but then they produced Rioja wine, Jerez sherry, tapas and paella- SOLD!! Razz

To channel Blackadder further, "what made you do it ? Was it the pumpernickel, or the thought of hanging around with big men in leather shorts" ??

Ah so you suspect me eh Mug - no I am nought but an Irish Darling Laughing

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:35 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:

Day? Molly spent months fiddling with that in the studio, including adding the Hitler Youth boys choir toward the end.

1 day is plenty, don't need months, thanks. Wink

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:46 pm

David wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
David wrote:

Again, this is such extreme language: "imposing a narrative"; "ban"; "totalist". Is anyone proposing that you be legally blocked from firing up the barbecue and singing the anthem on the 26th, if that date still holds resonance for you in the future? Was a narrative of shame imposed on God Save the Queen when it ceased to be our national anthem?

I dare say that, once it has ceased to be our national day, the anniversary of the landings will be treated much the same in its future as it is now: as a day with important but problematic associations. If anything, it might liberate it from some of the angst and negativity that surround it right now.

Ban, dethrone, abolish, de-recognise : choose the word you will. I would say that "Invasion Day" is many times more extreme and simplistic. The point is that it is our national day today, and has been for many years - and because of an imposed association with shame and disgrace, it would cease to be. As, I gather, would Christmas and Easter cease to be national days in your new order.

If you think Orwell was simply chatting about "facts" then you either need to read the book again, or you're surely being disingenuous. The Marxists fight over this stuff because they know that it helps to anchor a people to memories that have political meaning.

God Save the Queen was rightly replaced as our national anthem because it was already the national anthem of another country. Australian symbols and commemorations should recognise the uniqueness of Australia's historic experience - such as the transformational and defining event that occurred on the 26th January. I know that the Leftists want young Australians to not be taught, and thus to forget, the legacy of the common law and liberty of the subject, constitutional monarchy and parliamentary democracy, and the roots of their freedom. So would I if I wanted to create new men fit to live in their state-controlled, semi-literate, culturally denatured country; a country which will doubtless prove unable to defend itself when history's gangsters come knocking, as they surely will, eventually. People and places which can be taught that they were founded on illegitimacy will make fine slaves for new overlords.

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:15 pm

This here's the wattle, the emblem of our land. You can stick it in a bottle, you can hold it in your hand.

Forget the motherland..........

Wink Razz

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:20 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:

Long long long ago when he was oh so cute!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7   

Jump to: