Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Australia day to be celebrated on the 28th Jan.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:31 pm
Post subject: Australia day to be celebrated on the 28th Jan.Reply with quote

Is this Policital correctness gone mad?

OK, so some indigenous people refer to it as Invasion day, but the public holiday is to celebrate the landing of the first fleet on THE DATE IT HAPPENED.

http://www.9news.com.au/national/2016/11/25/07/36/wa-council-moves-australia-day-to-jan-28

Freo to mark Australia Day two days later
nine.com.au staff

Australia Day next year will come two days late for one West Australian council.

The City of Fremantle has decided to move its traditional January 26 events to January 28 because of cultural sensitivities.

Read more at http://www.9news.com.au/national/2016/11/25/07/36/wa-council-moves-australia-day-to-jan-28#GC6UI5B0aVZI6yvu.99
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:40 pm
Post subject: Re: Australia day to be celebrated on the 28th Jan.Reply with quote

Bucks5 wrote:

Nope but I would have it on a different day. It's not just Aboriginals (or some / most) but many others including yours truly see it as Invasion Day (personally I can't see how anyone could see it as anything other but we all have our views) - have no issue with it what so ever.

28 January though? I'm just not too sure of that days significance though.

Need some popcorn though as I wait for the Australian & other shock jocks to feign & spew forth their outrage, apoplexy & indignation Wink

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:01 pm
Post subject: Re: Australia day to be celebrated on the 28th Jan.Reply with quote

watt price tully wrote:
Bucks5 wrote:

Nope but I would have it on a different day. It's not just Aboriginals (or some / most) but many others including yours truly see it as Invasion Day (personally I can't see how anyone could see it as anything other but we all have our views) - have no issue with it what so ever.

28 January though? I'm just not too sure of that days significance though.

Need some popcorn though as I wait for the Australian & other shock jocks to feign & spew forth their outrage, apoplexy & indignation Wink

I find the term Invasion day insulting. A european nation started to colonise a continent inhabited by a fragmented collection of stone age tribes who had distinguished themselves in their 60,000 years of occupancy by inventing no higher technology than the stick, directly contributing to the extinction of multiple species of flora and fauna and irrevocably altering the environment and climate.

Anyone who genuinely thinks they're worse off now than before white settlement is living in an alternate reality.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:48 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Feel free to feel insulted. The descendants of the indigenous peoples who had their land stolen from them will, no doubt, be deeply troubled that your feelings have been hurt.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:25 pm

"their land"

I suppose possession is 9/10ths of the law.

The continent was around for millions of years before they arrived and trashed the joint.

I daresay I care a lot more about their collective well being in the present day than they do about mine, I just find this sooking about being invaded a bit rich

Find me an Aboriginal who would prefer to be living in pre white colonisation Australia, I'd like to talk to them.

If England hadn't colonised here, someone else would have and the English were the best option from their perspective IMHO.

If there had been a force field around the continent preventing anyone else coming in, they'd still be in the stone age.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:30 pm

There aren't too many to find. We killed nearly all of them.

You don't have to get into heavy handwringing about it but it is still possible to respect the view that the arrival of the First Fleet was a bit of a downer for entire nations of peoples.

A bit of balance is ok in these things.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:41 pm

I respect the view, I can understand it, I just don't agree with it or as you say get into the heavy handwringing.

Empathy is good, but sometimes a dose of reality is more effective.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:41 pm

Thread title got my hopes up! About time we stopped talking about moving the date and just did it.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:42 pm

Yes, that's what we need - more symbolic silliness whereby we can pretend to care about what happened to indigenous people 230 years ago. As WH Auden said (in a slightly different context), our greatest love is music, because it can be made anywhere, is invisible, and does not smell. This is political music.

If all of the fashionable historical hand-wringers actually campaigned for a lift in the tax rate, creating a medicare-like fund dedicated to creating effective infrastructure and services in Aboriginal settlements, that would be a real, gutsy policy. Instead, no - let's express our look-at-me compassion by moving dates around, whingeing about things our ancestors did in an age further away than Mars, and perhaps tax a few mining royalties because that'll never show up in the price of a latte.

This age of narcissism will be remembered, I think, for such pious vacuities.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:04 pm

For those that want to change the date, what would be an ideal date to celebrate Australia Day?
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:10 pm

Just abolish it.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:58 pm

Jezza wrote:
For those that want to change the date, what would be an ideal date to celebrate Australia Day?

1 January, Federation Day. But that'd mean giving up a public holiday, and we dont care enough to sacrifice that.

Alternatively, dont listen to the look at me brigade and celebrate it harder on 26 Jan - the day we inherited parliamentary democracy, the common law, the liberty of the subject, and the many habits of mind and government that have made us one of the most successful, desirable and pleasant countries in the world.

The sulkers can spend their time considering how it might have been under the Spanish, had Nelson not clubbed them into the ocean at Trafalgar.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:01 am

Ok I'll try not to do listen to the look at him or her brigade and celebrate it harder on 26 Jan - the day we inherited parliamentary democracy the common law the liberty of the subject and the many habits of mind and government that made us one of the most successful and pleasant countries too much.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:15 am

Modernise the concept with a view to marking a new republic, superseding the convoluted mix of fact and nonsense of the past. Let's face facts; it has always been the dullest event on the national calendar bar the Queen's Birthday anyhow (the latter made worse by Melbourne regularly beating us for their annual moment of glory!).

Whoops, that's right; a referendumb 17 years ago barred the further use of reason and consideration in that area until Jesus returns in the clouds of glory!

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:22 am

pietillidie wrote:
(the latter made worse by Melbourne regularly beating us for their annual moment of glory!).

Melbourne only just beat us for the first time this year on Queens' Birthday since 2007.

It's been an enjoyable affair up until now.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7   

Jump to: