Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Collingwood 2017 Review: Part 1: Player ratings

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inxs88 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:29 am
Post subject: Collingwood 2017 Review: Part 1: Player ratingsReply with quote

1. Alex Fasolo:

Another cliché year from Alex insofar as he teased Pies fans with the "nearly nearly" shift from middling talent to consistent & reliable forward weapon. Matched his historical efforts of being unable to eclipse 30 goals which is par for a specialized forward type like him.

2017: 29 goals, 29 points
2016: 25 goals, 6 points
2015: 27 goals, 15 points
2012: 28 goals, 20 points

2018 thoughts:

Given Geelong are haggling over whether to extend Daniel Menzel's contract despite kicking more goals in the last two years, Fasolo should strongly be considered for trade bait. His defensive KPI;s are dreadful and he often gets in Elliott's way in marking contests. I'd try secure a 2018 2nd draft pick from a WA club whom are both looking for crafty forwards post Lecras, Ballantyne and Josh Hill.

2. Jordan Degoey:

After an infamous absence in the first 2 months for reasons obvious to all, Jordan pleasingly took the next step in his development. Effectively the match winner in the Eagles game, some may be surprised he has grown from 187cm in draft year to 191cm now and could potentially be our best midfielder in 24 months time.

2018 thoughts:

Get fitter than ever before, approach Sidey as your mentor, train with Tom Phillips when it comes to running and surround yourself socially with people whose IQ's exceed 110.

3. Daniel Wells:

On the raw facts, this year has been a fail for Daniel. Albeit match-winning turns against the Cats and a mid field performance against the Crows as pure as I have seen, Bux (and Hine) should be angry as to how he responded to a 3 year $1,800,000 deal by going to Israel and eating Tel Aviv!!

2018 thoughts:

Fitness, fitness, fitness. We should play him 3 games and rest in the 4th all next year with the view to getting the best 17 matches we can out of him. With our mid-field depth, this should be easily implemented.

4. Brodie Grundy:

Excellent season with natural progression seeing him enter the top group of ruckmen in the AFL. His marking especially improved as the season went on plus excitedly his leap too.

2018 thoughts:

With the weight of a recently signed 3 year contract extension, the sky is the limit for Brodie. Would love to see him put his hand up for the leadership group thereby using his intelligent mind for the greater good in our need for tactical improvement.

5. Jamie Elliott:

Welcome back Jamie. 34 goals, 16 points from 17 matches was an excellent return after a year out of the game. Inhibited by an ankle ailment in the first month of the year, it did seem he was loathe to attempt much high flying mark attempts this year. The back issues may also have been a factor.

2018 thoughts:

Jamie ranked the 2nd worst for defensive pressure acts/tackles behind Daniel Menzel in 2017. Get your fitness to elite levels and take advantage of the prime football age you fond yourself in.

6. Tyson Goldsack:

At last Tyson has been able to play 20+ games for only the third time in his career and did so with zest and verve as only Tyson could. May secure his first top 10 B&F finish.

2018 thoughts:

Don't walk under any ladders, pat any black cats or contemplate any off season holidays to war afflicted regions.

7. Adam Treloar:

An elite footballer whose exploits again were enjoyed by the pies fans. Did he eclipse last year. Virtually the same disposal avg of 29.90 this year vs 30.5 last year and same goal return of 13 in both years.

2018 thoughts:

I would encourage Adam to hang out with Wells and identify how to better spot up inside 50 targets by foot. Watch Daniel's "Masterclass" against the Crows and see how he did this so brilliantly. It's the difference between staying a very good footballer and being AAA grade elite.

8. Tom Langdon:

After missing 12 months with ankle and knee issues, Tom's return in the second half of 2017 got better with each game. A polarizing player amongst the Pies community, his intercept marking and courage were elite.

2018 thoughts:

Simply an exceptional pre-season is needed

9. Jesse White:

The forgotten man was effectively given up on by the match committee after Anzac Day. A tad unfairly maligned and could have benefited from some more creative coaching by playing on a wing etc..

2018 thoughts:

Good luck

10. Scott Pendlebury:

First 3/4 of the year was standard, reliable and effective Pendles before injury curtailed his year on the Gold Coast. Disappointingly, he only kicked 5 goals in 16 matches and missed several from set shots with his tendency to hook them.

2018 thoughts:

We got to see life without Scott in the last quarter of the season, which was for the longer term view point, not a bad thing. He shall be 30 in 2018 and although never been blessed with elite and relied upon pace, we should look at ways to ensure he is playing effective and Premiership involving footy when he is 34+.

11. Jarryd Blair:

You know when you were a kid and adults would say "don't say anything bad about somebody else....." Stuff that advice. Blair in 12 senior matches of football kicked the ball 50 times! His continued selection was either an astonishing lack of eyesight from our match committee or he was great friends with the Gatto family.

2018:

Delisted

12. Matt Scharenberg:

A rare highlight was seeing Matt play over 20 games of football between the Reserves and Seniors. Hopefully such continuity gives him confidence in his agility movement in 2018.

2018 thoughts:

A specialized training program designed to gain maximum flexibility in his legs is critical over the pre-season. He needs to recapture 10 more metres in his field kicking (from Under 18 days) and back his body in.

13. Taylor Adams:

Should scoot away with the Copeland Trophy and was a standout performer in his first 22 game season for the Pies. Courage, passion and consistency were obvious to all.

2018 thoughts:

Eliminate that inward 30 meter kick to a 60:40 contest at all costs. As Mr Eastwood once famously said: "a man gotta know his own limitations.

14. James Aish:

It's unsettling to think that after 4 seasons in the system James played only 8 senior matches and still seems to not have a fixed field position. Is he a wingman, a half back, an inside mid or an outside mid.

2018 thoughts:

Get a haircut for starters. That Ty Vickery bouffant shits me to begin with. Put on 7kg of muscle and go from your slight frame of 78kgs to 85kgs. Stop worrying about your 2020 contract (he does) and return the faith that Derek Hine placed in you.

15. Lynden Dunn:

So refreshing to see a full back that could kick out after what was the ignominy of the "Frost/Brown Years". A selection that cost us virtually nothing, Lynden's passion and consistency was a bright spark in a bleak year.

2018 thoughts:

Perfectly positioned to be an excellent placeholder whilst McLarty is eased into Senior game time.

16. Chris Mayne:

Worse transferred in player since Barry Mitchell in 1992. Has the blood of "Lady Macbeth Allan" all over it, no doubt evidenced by Buckley's refusal to select him beyond 3 paltry games.

2018 thoughts:

Unlike in 1993 when we off loaded Barry Mitchell to Carlton, we have nobody dumb enough to want to take Mayne off our hands. With $1,500,000 left and 3 seasons, this contractual noose decision shall be eagerly watched.

17. Callum Brown:

What was always a rookie year, it was great to see Callum improve with each match and confirm that his ground ball skills and pace were obvious attributes despite his small frame.

2018 thoughts:

Simply get bigger, stronger and smarter in the pre-season thereby setting yourself up for double digit senior appearances in 2018.

18. Travis Varcoe:

Disappointedly injury interrupted season with the recurrence of a hamstring injury that plagued his 2016 season somewhat. Important rebound year for him as he turns 30 and shall be competing with an abundance of similarly sized players for Senior spots.

19. Levi Greenwood:

Stock standard year for Levi with the only knock on him was him missing 6 games. Would like to see him tag more than Bux seems to let him do as he is rarely if ever beaten when he does. J Selwood and Cotchin are his bunnies but would relish the chance to add more.

2018 thoughts:

Last year of a 4 year deal and turning 29 in February so would want to have a strong season to overt any unwelcome speculation for 2019.

20 Ben Reid:

I watched Ben closely this year and what struck me was simply how slower he was in general play. Some were surprised that h was omitted after the return Hawks game when he had 20 possessions and 10 marks.

2018 thoughts:

The clubs push for Jake Lever is a subtle reference to the fear they have with Reid. Despite his 4 goal efforts against Port, his labouring efforts against Geelong were more stark. Think CHB is his go.

21. Tom Phillips:

A bit like Jekyll and Hyde, there is good Tom Phillips whom runs, kicks goals and is prolific. Then there is bad Tom Phillips, whom has no right foot, kicks backwards and can't hit a target or make a tackle stick.

2018 thoughts:

Work on your skills on "both feet" more than running the street of Mumbai!

22. Steele Sidebottom:

Another regulation year from Steele whom assumed more leadership roles in Pendles absence. Started year more up forward and then progressed to the mid-field.

2018 thoughts:

I have always rated Steele but been on record to say that he is reasonable trade bait especially for a team such as the Crows whom are right in the premiership window. Would I swap him for Jake Lever?????? 100%.

23. Lachie Keefe:

Seems like the whole "keeping him thing" was a complete waste of time given he made zero senior appearances this year. What on earth do we know more tan 2014? Nothing.

2018 thoughts:

Delisted

24. Josh Thomas:

Unlike Lachie, Josh was given 9 matches to impress and with a disposal avg of 16.5, he has probably done enough for a 2018 spot. He seemed to struggle at times running out matches and his disposal was symptomatic of the side on occasions.

2018 thoughts:

Shall benefit from having a pre Xmas pre-season training block unlike last year. Needs to establish more weapons and some points of difference in his game as he competes with similar players such as Callum Brown, Daicos, Varcoe, Greenwood etc...

25. Jack Crisp:

Think Jack has been one of our more underrated players over his 3 year time with the Pies. Having completed another 22 match season for the third consecutive year, Jack responded after a wobbly start to be a revelation off the half back flank. Yes he can fumble and occasionally fall over (like yesterday against the Dees) but his run & carry plus his ability to win contests in the air and on the ground were obvious traits this year.

2018 thoughts:

At only 23 years of age and now having found his role on the half back flank, can see him being invaluable next year.

PART 2 SOON

Duff Soviet Union 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:32 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with most of these evaluations. Fas is trade bait, although a second rounder might be optimistic. Adams should win the B&F, and Pendlebury is clearly starting to slowly decline from a very high peak (I saw him get caught holding the ball more in his last 3 games than he did in the 3 years before that).
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:35 pm

I don't have any plans yet.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:49 pm

Duff Soviet Union wrote:
Agree with most of these evaluations. Fas is trade bait, although a second rounder might be optimistic. Adams should win the B&F, and Pendlebury is clearly starting to slowly decline from a very high peak (I saw him get caught holding the ball more in his last 3 games than he did in the 3 years before that).

Agreed. The goal should be how we can get 80 more quality matches out of Pendles.

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:50 pm

Goldy's career is best summed up by the Manassa/Gabelich/McGuane esque run and then dribbled a point or oob. NQR. But this has been his benchmark season, his courage and tenacity has been epic and he's become a role model for playing for the jumper in the Nick Maxwell/Heater mould.
Born to Pie 

Born to Pie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:54 pm
Post subject: Re: Collingwood 2017 Review: Part 1: Player ratingsReply with quote

inxs88 wrote:
14. James Aish:

It's unsettling to think that after 4 seasons in the system James played only 8 senior matches and still seems to not have a fixed field position. Is he a wingman, a half back, an inside mid or an outside mid.

2018 thoughts:

Get a haircut for starters. That Ty Vickery bouffant shits me to begin with. Put on 7kg of muscle and go from your slight frame of 78kgs to 85kgs. Stop worrying about your 2020 contract (he does) and return the faith that Derek Hine placed in you.

Is your assessment of players based on their hair styles? It's CFC and 2017, not national service in the 1950's and your insights into players personal thoughts are amazing!

inxs88 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:46 pm
Post subject: Re: Collingwood 2017 Review: Part 1: Player ratingsReply with quote

Born to Pie wrote:
inxs88 wrote:
14. James Aish:

2018 thoughts:

Is your assessment of players based on their hair styles? It's CFC and 2017, not national service in the 1950's and your insights into players personal thoughts are amazing!

Gee messrs Jim Carrey, Jerry Lewis, Jackie Gleeson would be hard stretched to get a laugh out of you. A bit of levity at Aish's expense before a more serious summation obviously missed the mark with you. Good luck watching a serious SBS documentary on goat herding tonight!!

inxs88 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:47 pm

Cam wrote:
Goldy's career is best summed up by the Manassa/Gabelich/McGuane esque run and then dribbled a point or oob. NQR. But this has been his benchmark season, his courage and tenacity has been epic and he's become a role model for playing for the jumper in the Nick Maxwell/Heater mould.

Great call Cam. A goal would have destroyed the equilibrium.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:52 pm

Enjoyable read.

Two points I disagree on.

I have the Chris Yarran trade as worse than Barry Mitchell and ( on a slightly more serious note ) I don't have Fasolo going anywhere. Take away his inaccuracy in the first half of the season and he would have had a pretty good year as a stay at home forward. Defensive pressure not great but he isn't alone in that area.
He simply shouldn't be allowed to leave the 50 metre area cause that's where he is out of depth.
The only way I would consider Fasolo in a trade, is if he was part of a " trade up " ( Fasolo plus more ) for a better player. I don't see a lot of value in trading away a 40 goal forward for the uncertainty that comes with a second / third rounder for him.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:23 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
Enjoyable read.

I have the Chris Yarran trade as worse than Barry Mitchell and ( on a slightly more serious note ) I don't have Fasolo going anywhere. Take away his inaccuracy in the first half of the season and he would have had a pretty good year as a stay at home forward. Defensive pressure not great but he isn't alone in that area.
He simply shouldn't be allowed to leave the 50 metre area cause that's where he is out of depth.
The only way I would consider Fasolo in a trade, is if he was part of a " trade up " ( Fasolo plus more ) for a better player. I don't see a lot of value in trading away a 40 goal forward for the uncertainty that comes with a second / third rounder for him.

That's the problem "he isn't a 40 goal a year goalkicker"!

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:37 pm

Great post Inxs. My major disagreement is about Wells. You are right to give him heaps of grief for turning up fat and unfit, but you don't give him the credit he deserves for transforming our delivery. Without Wells, this year we might have won 5 games.

Next year, exactly as you say, we want him F.I.T. fit from Round One. If this means hiring a security firm 24/7 over summer and giving them instructions to burn down any restaurant Wells goes within two city blocks of, then so be it.

His skills are sublime, and he makes our forwards look so, so good.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:56 pm

inxs88 wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:
Enjoyable read.

That's the problem "he isn't a 40 goal a year goalkicker"!

Can't argue with the numbers. He hasn't been a 40 goal kicker TO DATE.
This year he kicked 29 goals ( 29 points ) and was way more inaccurate than any of his prior years and for reasons we know why. I would think that most supporters would feel that the second half of this year was his best block of games to date.
He's 26 and just played 100 games and coming into his prime. If he plays nearly all games next year and with the depression battle out in the open, I can't see him kicking any less than 35 + next year.
If we ever start moving the ball like a good team should, he will also reap the benefit like all our forwards will. We had an average losing margin of 18 points, so I just don't see the value of letting a noted goal kicker go ( for an unknown second, third rounder )
We agree to disagree.

Last edited by Pies2016 on Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:03 am

Tannin wrote:
Great post Inxs. My major disagreement is about Wells. You are right to give him heaps of grief for turning up fat and unfit, but you don't give him the credit he deserves for transforming our delivery. Without Wells, this year we might have won 5 games.

Next year, exactly as you say, we want him F.I.T. fit from Round One. If this means hiring a security firm 24/7 over summer and giving them instructions to burn down any restaurant Wells goes within two city blocks of, then so be it.

Good post Tannin, following on from Inxs' quality OP.

It can't be a coincidence that Wells played in seven of nine wins this year. It's a pity that he isn't five years younger as he still remains an elite ball user after all these years.

inxs88 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:37 am

Jezza wrote:
Tannin wrote:

Good post Tannin, following on from Inxs' quality OP.

It can't be a coincidence that Wells played in seven of nine wins this year. It's a pity that he isn't five years younger as he still remains an elite ball user after all these years.

Love Wells, just wish we could see more of him Smile

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:05 am

Inxs88 great read mate only thing I would really add is about Sidey.
I though this season he actually had a better season than any previous.
His stats may not show it but I thought he learned how to really play team first footy more often than not.
I always thought those silly dinky kicks were a sign of him trying the impossible for personal glory when a better option was available
I thought he shelved the miraculous more often and went for the safer option
His leadership along side Adams for mine has been a highlight of the season.
He was able to take on responsibility and change his role for the betterment of the team in Pendles absence
Yes this will seem weird for some because I've been a Sidey critic but I also believe in credit where credit is due as well
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: